Chit Chat

Outdoor wedding in TN - what to wear?

So my brother is getting married at the end of next month in TN. I've never been there, so I'm not sure what the weather is like. I'm a Floridian, so it'll probably be at least in the upper 70's here by then. The wedding is at noon and is outside. 

Any suggestions as to what is appropriate attire? I think it's a pretty casual event, since the reception will be at their house afterwards.  I'm just not sure if I'm going to freeze in a sundress, or if that's even appropriate for a March wedding. Thanks!

Re: Outdoor wedding in TN - what to wear?

• I would call your FSIL or your brother.  Ask them what they weather is typically like at that time of year.  I would also have a few options just in case they get a cold spurt and you need to be a bit more covered for warmth.  Maybe invest in a nice shawl that you can wrap around yourself if you are feeling a bit chilly.

As for what is appropriate for the wedding.  I would say a nice sundress would be fine.  I wouldn't go with something super springy, but rather a nice jewel toned color like a purple or royal blue.

• For the last 2 years it has been really warm in late March (like, 70), but apparently that is unusual. This is my second year living here for school, it is typically really warm when the sun is out and gorgeous, but if it rains, its miserable and chilly. I would definitely invest in a backup plan for bad weather. But, I would say a sundress with a shawl or something would probably be ok. 

I agree with PP to call your brother. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks ladies! I did talk to my brother today, and he basically said the same thing as egeurts. Apparently it can go either way in March! I'll probably just end up bringing a few different choices depending on the weather. And he confirmed he is wearing a suit and not a tux so that helps as far as level of formality. I have two weddings that week, one in Miami and the one in TN so I guess I'll be investing in polar opposite outfits! 
  • In March, it can be any weather it wants to be. This can also change hourly. I'd bring a sundress, a parka and an umbrella to cover all of your bases because you might need all three by the end of the day.

• Also knowing which part of Tennessee the wedding is in would be helpful. Is it going to be in East Tennessee in the mountains, so most likely cooler than the rest of the state?
  • I'm in TN and in March it has been in the 80's and in the 40's.  We don't get a whole lot of cold weather, but you never know.  Also, it will make a difference if its in the mountains, its always cooler.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_outdoor-wedding-in-tn-what-to-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:2e5a1225-799f-41c3-bb0a-e3dd992ffb78Post:07c6594b-d54e-47e1-8aa6-2c43a3fc968c">Re: Outdoor wedding in TN - what to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In March, it can be any weather it wants to be. This can also change hourly. I'd bring a sundress, a parka and an umbrella to cover all of your bases because you might need all three by the end of the day.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>Lol. This made me giggle. </div><div>
    </div><div>Yeah, thankfully I'm driving so I'll be able to pack all kinds of stuff. It's in Clarksville, which if I remember correctly is South of Nashville? I'm not 100% sure. In any case, I am getting the distinct impression that I need to be prepared for anything! I really appreciate all the input!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards