Illinois-Chicago

Which Bakery Should I Use?

Hi ladies. My reception venue includes a cake and I get to choose from the following bakeries:

Rolfs Patisserie in Lincolnwood

Sugar Hills Bakery in Wheeling and Algonquin

The Baking Institute in Wheeling

Oak Mill Bakery in Niles

Any recommendations for which to use!? I am leaning towards Oak Mill or The Baking Institute but am interested in other brides experiences with these bakeries. Thanks! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Which Bakery Should I Use?

• TEA&CoTEA&Co member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are using Oak Mill...I can report back on the quality of the wedding cake in, oh, 11 days Wink

They were included in our reception package...our tasting was...interesting, but the cake was good and we are looking forward to it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Are you getting married at Belvedere?  (I'm getting married there and recognize the bakery list).  In any case, I just did tastings at Rolf's and The Baking Institute.  
    Rolf's cake was amazing!  Soooo good.  The Baking Institute's cake was good, but not as good as Rolf's - however, I do think their cakes are prettier.  We went with Rolf's because of the taste - we decided that both cakes would be beautiful, but we want it to taste as good as possible.  My wedding isn't until March, so I can't comment on the final product, but based on my tasting experience, I thought those 2 were both great, but Rolf's (IMO) had a slight edge in taste and their consultant, Sarah, was so nice!
  • roxiems75roxiems75 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oak Mill is who we are using. we had a choice between Oak Mill and Baking Institute.  We like the taste of Oak Mill better that is why we are using them.  I also read reviews online about both places and Oak Mill has a lot more positve reviews then Baking institute.  Hope this helps.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_bakery-should-use?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:209cf6b9-b5a0-4b7d-a1cc-34e580298ccfPost:eb1cb8c8-ff50-4a53-9595-837227ec9382">Re: Which Bakery Should I Use?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you getting married at <strong>Belvedere</strong>?  (I'm getting married there and recognize the bakery list).  In any case, I just did tastings at Rolf's and The Baking Institute.   Rolf's cake was amazing!  Soooo good.  The Baking Institute's cake was good, but not as good as Rolf's - however, I do think their cakes are prettier.  We went with Rolf's because of the taste - we decided that both cakes would be beautiful, but we want it to taste as good as possible.  My wedding isn't until March, so I can't comment on the final product, but based on my tasting experience, I thought those 2 were both great, but Rolf's (IMO) had a slight edge in taste and their consultant, Sarah, was so nice!
    Posted by amberr110[/QUOTE]

We are! You will have to let me know after your wedding in March how everything went! :)

Thanks for the suggestions ladies and Congrats Tea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cuevas91cuevas91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to work as a catering manager for a university and we always used Rolf's. Evertone would rave about the cakes and desserts from there. Their Atomic cake is delish.
  • debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2011
    We used Oak Mill and loved it. It came with our package also so I was a little nervous, but everything was wonderful.
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not recommend the Baking Institute....they made us the wrong cake!! it was the first thing I saw when walking into our reception and still 5 months later it frustrates me.
    Rolf's is amazing

PM me if you want to see the pics of what we got vs what we ordered.
  • sgonzalez1128sgonzalez1128 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rolf's closed their doors as of 12/11/2011 :(
  • MrsPapsMrsPaps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_bakery-should-use?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:209cf6b9-b5a0-4b7d-a1cc-34e580298ccfPost:01e3b1a4-e1e3-4c27-9bde-213359d646a7">Re: Which Bakery Should I Use?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rolf's closed their doors as of 12/11/2011 :(
    Posted by sgonzalez1128[/QUOTE]
    wow, that is too bad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards