September 2012 Weddings

FFILZILLA (vent WR and NWR) kinda long

Over the course of planing this wedding, my FFIL has been crowned the FILZILLA. He has nothing nice to say about ANYTHING about our wedding plans because we didn't want the dog and pony show, how we call it, of a wedding that he wanted. His plans was to have it at his church and the reception in the kitchen area of the church. Okay major problems with his plan, the church is small with not enough parking for the guests. People would have to park in the surrounding neihborhood in front of people's homes. Second, the kitchen area is not enough to even hold 30 people comfortablely. On top of that, there is no where else within the church to do well anything else. Third, the city the church is located is doing construction on the main road that goes to the church and will not even be completed until next year (contacted the city about it when the idea came up). And its not easy getting there let along around the city unless you live here. Last but not least, we didn't have not one voice in how ANYTHING was going to happen. 

FI thought it was okay until reality set in that no DJ, no booze, no, well, fun was involved with it. That is when we both put our foot down and said no. So the nightmare began at that point. FFIL has been trying for the last two months, to get FI to take me to the courthouse and get it over with. FI has told him many times to stop because its hurtful to both of us and a insult to my family just because you are not running the show. FI also told him that your late wife might be rolling over in her grave right now with the way you are acting (his mother died when he was 15 from cancer) plus you are letting your bitter feelings about your soon to be ex wife cloud your judgement towards my fiance and everything else.

So we been busting our butts off to get this planned, and love EVERYTHING that we have done and is super excited despite my FFIL objections to EVERYTHING; but now the jabs have started to cause strain on both of us. FFIL has been degrading my FI left and right and making more jabs that we should just go to the courthouse and get it over with and calling me all kinds of horrible things. Mind you he doesn't say this directly to me, lately. Despite the jabs, it has made our relationship stronger but our spirits weaker because the straw broke the camel's back last night. FI and FFIL own two business together and a small issue got blown up for nothing and FFIL called FI many nasty things I don't wish to repeat. On top of that went on a rant that I am this evil gold digger witch! Cried myself so to the point I stayed home from work today. 

FI and I feel very much used and abused at this point by my FFIL. I assist with both business when I am not working my normal 40hrs a week. Mostly with the clerical side. Really don't know what to do at this moment, not even feeling up to doing any more wedding planning. 

Sorry for the long vent ladies Cry 

Anniversary Vacation

Re: FFILZILLA (vent WR and NWR) kinda long

• omg that is absolutely horrible! I am so very sorry you are going through this! Where does anyone get off treating people, especially their son and their FDIL like that?!?!! At this point, I'd want to just cut ties; at least until your FFIL can grow up, apologize and start respecting both of you.
    BIG HUGS!!
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm so sorry you are going through all that.  I am glad though that FI is on your side 100% because that could get sensitive and not everyone knows to stand up to their parents for the FI.  Has your FFIL explained WHY he wants you to just go to the courthouse, especially if he has such a bad opinion of you?  I know you think it is because he isn't running the show but I've never heard a brat say that about themselves so I was just curious.  It seems odd to me that he doesn't think highly of you but also wants you to hurry up and get married.  I feel like there is something else to that.  I know it would be hard because it is family but I would stop telling FFIL anything about your wedding.  When he says anything about the courthouse, FI should say "Our wedding date is September XX." And switch the subject.  The next information you give him about your wedding should be an invite in the mail.  It is difficult to do business with a family member you don't get along with, but FI should keep business business and not talk with his dad about personal stuff in the office so the lines are drawn of when it is appropriate to talk about things and not (you name/marriage shouldn't be slammed in an office setting especially if there are other people around).  This is definitely a tough one and I wish you the best with it.
  • Stop telling FFIL anything about the wedding.  Your FI needs to stand up for you and your (mutual) plans - he needs to tell his Dad in no uncertain terms that you are paying for your own wedding, you're planning it the way you want, and he is welcome to attend or not attend as he sees fit.  And that if he wants to be a part of his son's life and future family - including any children you guys have down the road - he better treat you, his son's future wife, with the respect she deserves.  Any derogatory comments will not be tolerated and will cause an end to all communication with his father.  End of story.  Your FI needs to put his foot down for this ridiculous behavior by his father, I'm really sorry you're going through this!

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_ffilzilla-vent-wr-and-nwr-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4882e747-c39b-4fad-8fea-bb907ea64e91Post:4e3a40c1-f58f-4b25-9c9d-e6284dafaae8">Re: FFILZILLA (vent WR and NWR) kinda long</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sorry you are going through all that.  I am glad though that FI is on your side 100% because that could get sensitive and not everyone knows to stand up to their parents for the FI.  <strong>Has your FFIL explained WHY he wants you to just go to the courthouse, especially if he has such a bad opinion of you?  I know you think it is because he isn't running the show but I've never heard a brat say that about themselves so I was just curious.  It seems odd to me that he doesn't think highly of you but also wants you to hurry up and get married.</strong>  I feel like there is something else to that.  I know it would be hard because it is family but I would stop telling FFIL anything about your wedding.  When he says anything about the courthouse, FI should say "Our wedding date is September XX." And switch the subject.  The next information you give him about your wedding should be an invite in the mail.  <strong>It is difficult to do business with a family member you don't get along with, but FI should keep business business and not talk with his dad about personal stuff in the office so the lines are drawn of when it is appropriate to talk about things and not (you name/marriage shouldn't be slammed in an office setting especially if there are other people around).</strong>  This is definitely a tough one and I wish you the best with it.
    Posted by volleygurl0306[/QUOTE]

This first bold statement, FFIL had this off the wall life plan for his son that he should have already been married and working on his second child by now. Plus he also felt that we should have been married at the church and etc etc. His father is one of the decons at the church and we don't even attend the church. When we got engaged, his father offered to give us $1500 for the wedding on one condition, he plans everything. I didn't like the idea at all but I enterained the idea since FI thought it was good. That backfired when FI told him that I was getting my dressed handmade, FFIL said no she is giong to wear what I say. That is when we both said this is not a good idea at all and it only got worst from there. He is not a brat but a complete control freak and bully. FI has gotten to the point that he doesn't want him there now.

FI won't talk about anything personal at work. But FFIL feels like its a perfect time to do father/son chats like he is a little boy with his father out on the fishing boat. FI told him he finds talks like that distractions at work and its not the place for converstations like that. FFIL doesn't care, he feels he can talk about whatever or whomever he wants at any given time. When FFIL gets like that, we both leave the room or ignore him.
    Anniversary Vacation
  • I am so sorry that you're dealing with this! I agree with PP, your FI needs to put his foot down and make it clear that this is not going to be tolerated. It would be enough for me to cut ties!
  • This is insane!!! I agree with PPs. FI needs to put his foot down. Either he starts treating you with respect or he can forget you guys all together.
  • **UPDATE**

FI had a long and straight to the point converstation with FFIL that went better than we thought. FFIL was speechless. FI told him that business is for business not personal life, my personal life. Our wedding, our marriage, our future plans as a married couple is not up for debate by him or anyone else. When we are on the work clock that is strickly business and nothing else. As for the woman I am about to marry, you are going to respect her and stop all this foolish talk about her. She has been nothing but respectable to you and you continue to say hurtful things about her. She doesn't have to help us out with the clerical work or anything, she already has a job. On top of that, you are more than welcome to attend the wedding, but the world does not orbit around you, so its going to happen whether you are there or not.

I am so proud of FI for standing up to him!

Anniversary Vacation
  • Your FI ROCKS!!!!  You are a super lucky woman.  I want to give him a high-five. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards