Snarky Brides

An actual bridal post!

I barked at a consultant at David's Bridal last night.

They are so irritating.  I feel bad, because I know they must work on commission or something, which is why they seemingly push so hard for a sale.  But not really bad enough to not snap at her.  We were trying to decide between two bridesmaid dresses and she said something like "Well they can take up to 12 weeks to come in, and another 6 weeks for alterations."

I've been in weddings before and like... psht.  I've had dresses come in in less than a month.  SInce my wedding is in November, yeah, I know we're pushing it - but she bugged me.

18 weeks to wait for a damn dress.  Give me a break.  I told her, "Well if it takes 6 weeks to get them altered, whatever.  We'll take them somewhere else."  It was bitchy but not bitchy enough to make anyone cry.  She looked uncomfortable.  Meh.

The more stuff we do for the wedding the more I want to elope.
panther

Re: An actual bridal post!

• I'll tell ya this much. I ordered a stupid bridesmaid dress from that same darn David's Bridal on May 3rd, and it isn't here yet.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I looooved my consultant at David's, we're buddies now.  They tell you the worst-case scenario time for dresses to come in.  I bought my dress in December, they told me it would be in by the first week in March, but it arrived in late January, my BM's dresses were all early, too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:944f5f67-4656-4669-acc0-dc69bf0d428f">An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The more stuff we do for the wedding the more I want to elope.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Ohhh I feel your pain. If my family hadn't put down deposits already we would elope. If I was paying for the wedding I would be more than willing to cut my losses. Wedding planning is the pits. Never thought I would say that.
  • It's a crap shoot!  They either come way early - and they don't tell you about it - or, they take for-freaking-ever!?
    panther
  • David's Bridal does kindaaaa suck. I got my dress there and I love it. Ordered it, came in, no problems. The alterations were dumb though. I've been losing a little weight and want to lose more, so I wanted the alterations appt. as late as possible. The latest they could schedule? Last week. My wedding is in Sept.

But, I love the dresses and I love the prices. So DB it is for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't think what you said was bad...

I went there once to try on dresses.  I hated it.  Then they called me for weeks and weeks.  I told them several times to stop calling me and they wouldn't stop.  FInally I said "Look, I found a dress that 2x the quality and the same price somewhere else, I'm NOT buying a dress from you, we're NOT buying bridesmaids dresses from you DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN!"  and hung up. 

Haven't heard from them since.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Yeah you really can't beat the prices - and they have a WIDE variety of bridesmaid choices.  Just seems easier to go there, really.  Except when they give out your phone numbers to places like Men's Warehouse and whatnot.  Thaaaaaanks.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:eb4f98b3-705d-4085-ad73-ffeb1455d9cc">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think what you said was bad... I went there once to try on dresses.  I hated it.  Then they called me for weeks and weeks.  I told them several times to stop calling me and they wouldn't stop.  FInally I said "Look, I found a dress that 2x the quality and the same price somewhere else, I'm NOT buying a dress from you, we're NOT buying bridesmaids dresses from you DO NOT CALL ME AGAIN!"  and hung up.  Haven't heard from them since.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Yeah it wasn't baaad... I could have been worse :)

They do call a lot.  I knew that going in, too.  I'm an idiot.  I didn't give them my fiance's info, though.  I can't believe they even asked for it... lol, I figure if someone's going to be harassed it should be me.  I can be a bitch about stuff and my fiance is just too nice.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:a2fc7c51-4111-4092-997d-7abf054139c1">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: An actual bridal post! : Do you have an Alfred Angelo where you live. It's pretty similar to DB but better BM dresses.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.  But it could be worth checking out... ROAD TRIP WOOOO
    panther
  • Yeah, they actually tried to tell me I HAD to give them my FI's info and my address and stuff.  I refused.  The only reason they had my phone number was because I called to make the appointment.  They argued with me about giving them my info for about 5 minutes, until I said "Well that's fine, if you have to have it, I'll just leave."  Then they decided they didn't need it.  But how ridiculous.

• Lol... yep.  I just left it blank.

I would have definitely put up a fight though.  I would love to play that scenario out in real life.

Can we have your fiance's phone number?

Why?  He's not wearing a dress.

Well maybe he wants tuxes from Men's Warehouse.

Maybe we can find tuxes on our own.
    panther
  • I just left it blank too, but they tried to give the sheet back to me.  She said "Oh, you missed this side...oh...and most of your info too...ummm" and looked at me all confused, as I thought "Really?  You think I just happened to miss it?  Oh dear."

• I went to DB to look for dresses I liked, then went to a small boutique to actually try them on because they were cheaper and less pushy. My dresses came in 3 months (2 for mine, 3 for MOH). Alterations took a week for both dresses brought in at the same time (we went through the boutique's seamstress).
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't get my dress altered at DB even if they said it would take less time than 6 weeks.  Their alteration fees are ridiculously expensive.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:b71d89b5-f4c3-4665-9093-b86c3db74457">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't get my dress altered at DB even if they said it would take less time than 6 weeks.  Their alteration fees are ridiculously expensive.
    Posted by rak123[/QUOTE]

<strong><em>I know right!?</em></strong>
    panther
  • AATB- which DB did you go to?  I got my dress at the Roseville one and it came in, no lie, 3 weeks later.  For some reason, the BM dresses took longer, but still only like 5-6 weeks.

I had a great experience, but our consultant was very "I don't care how much you spend" so that was nice.  There's no way I'll do my alterations there, though.
  • We went to DB for a wedding I was in.  The bride found her dress (it was gorgeous) but the sales consultant was pushing way too hard at one point my friend had to say to her "I'm buying this dress so relax". 

Then we started looking at BM dresses and they didn't have th color she wanted and the consultant told her that maybe she should just "settle" for a different color.  Too bad we were looking for celadon and the closest they had was a mint green.  Then I got rude with the sales girl and told my friend that if we had to go to every bridal store in the tri-state area to find the color that she wanted that we would.  Fortunately, we found gorgeous dresses from Alfred Angelo at a local store. 

And she did buy her dress there that day but got it altered at the same place we got our dresses.
  • 6 weeks for alterations?! I had mine done in a week. I walked into DB, tried on 3 dresses and left. I didn't like it, and they kept calling even after I told them I had purchased another dress.
  • The six weeks for alterations thing really bugs me for some reason - and that's why I snapped at her.

I know it can't possibly take that long.  Sure, they're busy and what not... but, bitch please.  6 weeks?  I know she probably told me that to pressure me into buying.  We pretty much ARE going to get the dresses there.  But she was urgent about it.  I wanted to grab her chin and just hiss at her... "RELAX!"
    panther
  • edited June 2010
    DB is the Wal-Mart of bridal stores: cheap, dirty and they have everything.

They told me 8-12 weeks for my dress to come in, 3 days after I ordered it they called and said the DB in the next town over had my size (we checked the dress, it was clean and new).

They told me about $350 to hem it up. We took it to a seamstress who hemmed it and also took it in for $80.

They call about once a week and leave an automated vm, and they somehow got my address and send me assorted bridal junk mail almost daily.

Unfortunately they had the best prices. I hate them. Avoid them if you can.
  • I went there with a few friends and it was awful and pushy. I bought a BM dress from there and had it altered elsewhere because it was only $60 compared to the $100 they wanted to charge me.

My friend bought a dress for her sister's wedding at AA and they told her she had to have it altered there, ordered it way too big, and then gouged her on the alterations. I don't see how they are any better.

I went to a boutique and found what I wanted with the best consultant ever (owner of the shop) with no pressure. It was an awesome price, and they have the best reviewd alterations in town.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I got my dress at a local boutique where the guy who runs it designs all his own collections - and he is such a delight to work with.  His bridesmaid selection, however... kinda bare.  But he focuses a lot on brides, which I think is awesome.

Hence our trip to DB.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:98b9a4ea-b532-4dea-b3d8-786f132910bb">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to DB for a wedding I was in.  The bride found her dress (it was gorgeous) <strong>but the sales consultant was pushing way too hard</strong> at one point my friend had to say to her "I'm buying this dress so relax".  Then we started looking at BM dresses and they didn't have th color she wanted and the consultant told her that maybe she should just "settle" for a different color.  Too bad we were looking for celadon and the closest they had was a mint green.  Then I got rude with the sales girl and told my friend that if we had to go to every bridal store in the tri-state area to find the color that she wanted that we would.  Fortunately, we found gorgeous dresses from Alfred Angelo at a local store.  And she did buy her dress there that day but got it altered at the same place we got our dresses.
    Posted by mrscarter052011[/QUOTE]

My DB's consultant, Michelle used to have a small wedding planning business in Philadelphia.  She took a bride in a limo to Kleinfeld's. They were so excited but they caught traffic (natch) and didn't get to eat before going in for their appointment.  The bride found a dress she loved (12 grand) but before signing anything she asked if she could run out for a really quick hamburger before she came back and did the paperwork, etc etc.  The consultant said "You mean I just did all that work and you just want to leave?!" 
    The bride was so insulted, the guy then insinuated that because the bride wanted to get a burger at mcdonald's, she couldn't possibly afford the dress and she wasted his time.  Talk about pushy salespeople!!
    Needless to say, Michelle and her bride left, went to eat and did not return to the store.  Michelle said the bride found the exact same dress at a store in Atlanta and paid 16 grand for it, just not to give the money to Kleinfeld's!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:f2769450-0373-4943-a40b-34c562ebc08e">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: An actual bridal post! : My DB's consultant, Michelle used to have a small wedding planning business in Philadelphia.  She took a bride in a limo to Kleinfeld's. They were so excited but they caught traffic (natch) and didn't get to eat before going in for their appointment.  The bride found a dress she loved (12 grand) but before signing anything she asked if she could run out for a really quick hamburger before she came back and did the paperwork, etc etc.  The consultant said "You mean I just did all that work and you just want to leave?!"  The bride was so insulted, the guy then insinuated that because the bride wanted to get a burger at mcdonald's, she couldn't possibly afford the dress and she wasted his time.  Talk about pushy salespeople!! Needless to say, Michelle and her bride left, went to eat and did not return to the store.  Michelle said the bride found the exact same dress at a store in Atlanta <strong>and paid 16 grand for it,</strong> just not to give the money to Kleinfeld's!! 
    Posted by 526SadieSadie[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I wonder what that kind of life is like.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_actual-bridal-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ed89e262-eec2-430e-a662-777adbb62cb1Post:899585b7-fe37-4d0a-a602-a954887c193b">Re: An actual bridal post!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: An actual bridal post! : Sometimes I wonder what that kind of life is like.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Me too.  16-grand for a car?  Certainly.  A dress you'll wear once?  ...Damn
    panther
  • I went to DB at the beginning of my dress hunt because they have all sizes and I wanted to try out different styles to see what they looked like on me.  It was helpful because I did narrow down style choices. 

However, the sales lady was a beast.  I am not the girl who dreamed about this stuff since birth so the trip started out with high anxiety.  She was so pushy I ended up having a Carrie Bradshaw type freak-out in the fitting room and ripped the dress off.

They called me for weeks too J&K.  I flipped out on them.

My BM's are getting their dresses there and I feel bad, but the prices and size options worked for them.  6 out of 7 girls had issues with the sales associates being unorganized and pushy.

i just have an issue with the fact that high school kids are responsible for my girls dresses.  I cant wait until they are all in.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • i hate DB so much. the one i went to was filthy and the staff was awful. i actually found 1 dress that was in my top 10 overall there, but i crossed it off my list because i didn't want to ever steo foot in there again.
  •   I found an awesome dress from DB online but I went to the store in Wilmington because I didn't want to miss out on the actual trying on of the dress part of the wedding planning. The consultant I had there was really nice, but when I told her I was just looking for something simple and in white she said they didnt have anything like that at the store. Everyhing she was bringing me was too small and in ivory which made me look sick when I looked in the mirror. To top it off if I ordered anything she said it wouldn't come in till 3 days before my wedding so if i needed alterations I'd be screwed.

I did have better luck online though. I found a dress i really like that fits my preggo belly and for less than $300. AND it got to me in 5 days. It's now at a local business to be altered for about $100 less than what they were asking. But apparently they're not connected (the store and the online site). The consultant I had was saying that if it was online it was only there and I wouldn't be able to find it in the stores.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards