Michigan-Detroit

Officiants

My aunt is going to get ordained online to marry us.  Does anyone know about the wedding laws in Michigan about your officiant?  The church that she is getting ordained through has filed a charter with the state of Michigan.  I just didn't know if there was anything else she needed to do.  She should be getting her certificates in the mail to show she is ordained.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Officiants

• emily1004emily1004 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe what she is doing is perfectly legal. I don't think you will have any issues. 
    A bunch of people I use to work with did it a few years back for sh*ts and giggles. But two of them actually officiated weddings of their friends. 
    I would, of course, double check with the state but I think you'll be fine.
    Good Luck!!
    x
  • edited December 2011
    That's what I figured too.  I am going to double check on Monday again and just find out what the county clerk requirements are of an officiant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have checked and double checked cause we are doing the same thing!  I had little luck with questions at my county so I went to the state level and they said everything is perfectly legal.  We used Universal Life church.  Who are you using?  Let me know if you need the number for the lady I spoke to! It took me a long time to find it!
  • edited December 2011

I think that is the church she is going through too, Universal Life Church Monastery.  The website is themonastery.org.  What did the lady on the state level say?  I tried calling the county clerk and she wouldn't get into legalities with me.  She said I would need to check with an attorney.  Definitely not very helpful.  WOuld love to hear more about it

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leeshab1982leeshab1982 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH is officiating our friend's wedding later this month.  He got ordained on the website you mentioned above through Universal Life Church.  He called both the county and the state and both confirmed that it is completely legit and legal.  The only thing that he was warned of is that it's possible that the clerk filing the marriage license might ask to see proof of ordination.  For that reason, he made sure to order one of the "kits" that come with a certificate showing that he's been ordained.  Not sure if it's necessary or not, but he wanted to be safe and sure. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards