Ohio-Toledo

average age

So Im just curious what the average age to get married? Im 25 and I will be 26 when I get married. I have heard Im old to get married and I am young. We have been together almost 5 years so I really dont care what anyone thinks of my age but I just wondered what the average age to get married is now a days?

Re: average age

• edited December 2011
    I just heard the stats for that a few months ago, but now I can't remember what they said or where I heard it. I just turned 28 last week so I'll be 28 when I get married in April. You are not too old! I think the average age is going up because more couples are waiting until after college, getting settled into jobs, etc.
    Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart
    BFP #1 12/13/08 - mc 12/26/08
    BFP #2 12/2/09 - emergency surgery for ectopic 12/5/09

Photobucket Photobucket
  • aholtsbaholtsb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am currently 23 and will be 24 when I get married next October.  We have been together 7 years.
    Anniversary
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also 25 and I will be *just* 26 by 12 days when I get married.  I've had so many people -- particularly at work -- tell me I'm too young.  Especially if I mention that I'm planning on having kids in the next year or two, they kind of freak at how young I am. It doesn't help that my boss is older than my parents, and his daughter is my age. But truth be told, I also feel old.  I think if I had gotten married 3 years ago, I would have been just as mentally prepared I think.

I think 25 is a normal age.  Most of the people I graduated high school with got married this year.  So I think you and I are normal :)
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! that makes me feel better:) My fiances sister kept saying things like your young etc.
  • mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    According to the latest government statistics from the U.S. and Great Britain, the average age of first time brides and grooms is getting older.

The average age range for a woman is twenty-eight to thirty -one and for a man
    twenty-nine to thirty-three.

So according to the newest statistics you're young!
    HTH
  • Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm 23 and FI is 25 and we will be that old when we get married. And we're having kids right away too. I don't think I've mentioned that part to coworkers, so they don't think its weird lol. Plus, my coworkers think I'm young in regards to anything--they are almost all upper 20s/lower 30s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • abigirl9abigirl9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_average-age?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:732eba3d-9b80-478a-a00a-e5aa7b0bb43cPost:489a4db7-91d6-4762-aa5c-f0c9a2361acf">Re: average age</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! that makes me feel better:) My fiances sister kept saying things like your young etc. She was 28 when she got married this year (and we actually started dating before her and her husband).
    Posted by CoCo'sMommy[/QUOTE]

My dear Coco, we've gone over this. She is jealous and a meanie and a spoiled-rotten brat. I think you are at a wonderful age to get married :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I will be 27 and FI will be 25 when we get married. 

Looks like everyone on this board is in the same age range!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am 27 and FI is 29 we have been together 5 1/2 years. Age is nothing but a number. Besides, 30 is the NEW 20! :)<3
    Love knows no limit to its endurance, no end to its trust. Love still stands when all else has fallen. Corinthians 13:7-8 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ok, you girls have made me feel old.  I am 31 and my FI will be 36.  It took us a long time for us to find each other.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    People are definitely waiting longer to get married nowadays, but everyone is in a different situation. When you're ready, you're ready. I will be 29 and my FI will be 26 when we get married-- we will have been together 3 years by the time we get married. If you would have asked me ten years ago, I would have thought I'd be married for a few years by now, with kids. But I am glad I waited because now I have the right guy, and I will finish grad school before we get married next fall.

I think other factors are more important than age in predicting readiness to get married-- maturity level, communication, etc.
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were babies.  I was 23 and DH was 22. :)

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When we got married, I was one month from 27 and DH was 25.    Most of the married couples we know got married in the 24-28 age range as well, but I have plenty of unmarried friends too, so they'll be 30+ when/if they get married. :)

Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • edited December 2011

I'll be twenty-one and he'll be twenty-two.

*duckandcover*

Daisypath Wedding tickers

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_average-age?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:732eba3d-9b80-478a-a00a-e5aa7b0bb43cPost:58dfcb6d-4254-48e0-bdca-6fc5b030ed58">Re: average age</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, you girls have made me feel old.  I am 31 and my FI will be 36.  It took us a long time for us to find each other.
    Posted by kellyandtim1[/QUOTE]

I'm old too, I'm 31 and FI is 29.  I almost got married when I was 22....thank god I didn't, I would have been miserable in that relationship.  These things work themselves out whenever they want whether we are young or old.

Even though I am old FI and I are still waiting a couple of years for babies.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't talk...I got married right out of high school.  Graduated at 17, married at 18, first baby at 19. 

That didn't work out so well...so now I'm 35 (but was still 34 when we got married this summer) and am giving it a second chance with an awesome and amazing man.

The right age to get married is when its right for you. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We were 22 (me) and 24 (DH).
  • edited December 2011
    I will be 33, i don't feel "old" to be getting married.  It just took awhile to find the right man.  He will be 38.
  • edited December 2011
    my first time I was 24 big mistake.  This time, I will be 43 and he will be 36.  Not too old just finally happy together and seperate.
    Catherine Luhn
  • edited December 2011
    I think the right age to get married is when each of you is mature enough to take care of yourself financially.   I was first married at age 19.  A huge mistake, as I was too financially and emotionally dependent and it set me up for abuse. 

My daughters got married after they graduated from college. They were able to live well on their own for awhile before sharing their lives with someone else.    I am very proud of them.  And I am confidant that should they be treated in an unloving way, they could take care of themselves and their children well.

I am 59 now and am getting married again soon.  Is that too old?  I divorced at age 50, and I spent 6 years healing emotionally and standing on my own before I would even date.  I'm a late bloomer.  I had to grapple with the growing up part I skipped in my early 20's.

My advice for a secure life is to get your career first, then a husband.  Live with him for a few years, then have the babies. 

Best wishes --

• mmjdmmjd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am 21, fiance is 21. We will both be 22 at the wedding next September.

However, we've been together 5 years already and have 2 children together, so it's about time for us, lol. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards