Connecticut

E-Ring advice

So on Saturday night I lost my E-ring! I took it off to get ready to go out and placed it on my nightstand then when I got out of the shower 10 mins later it was gone. FI and I looked in every single room (even the trash/litter box/under the appliances in the kitchen) since we thought our cats were playing with it but it's no where to be found. The kicker is that I was going to call Allstate to add on renter's/jewelry insurance on Monday! FI and I agreed that if we still can't find it by end of the week then we will go get a new one.

My dilemmas are should I get a same exact one or should I get something different? Part of me wants the same one since I love how unique the setting is but am afraid that it will just constantly remind me of the vanishing E-ring. 

Re: E-Ring advice

• edited December 2011
    Hey Christi... I'm so sorry you're going through this.  It totally sucks.  I would be out of my mind if that was happening to me.  I know it will be an added expense, but if the ring doesn't show up by the end of the week, you should have your cats xrayed.  Your ring wouldn't just get up and walk out of the house.  It's definitely around somewhere if you're certain that you put it on the nightstand.  It sounds like the most likely scenario is that one of the cats swallowed it unless you happen to have an air vent on the ground or something like that where it could have dropped in.  I say you should xray the cats because if they don't pass the ring then they could end up with a blockage which could be harmful to them....

Also, if you know for sure that the ring wasn't stolen and literally has just been misplaced, are you prepared to make such a huge purchase with the potential that you will likely find the ring again at some point? Ugg... not fun decisions to make. 

DH and I keep our rings in a metal enameled ring box because I always feared that the cat could get at it if it was just sitting out.  I'm glad we went through route after your story!

As far as what ring to get if you do purchase another, I think that really is a decision you have to make.  If you're okay with having a second engagement ring and finding the old one then I would probably get a different style so you don't end up with two of the same ring, but that's just me.  If you're totally in love with your old ring, you'll have to decide what's right for you.

Good luck.  I really really really hope your ring turns up soon!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    The house we live in is really old so it doesn't have air vents. I checked under all the radiators and nothing =(. It's so frustrating that I have been leaving that damn ring on the nightstand for the past year and nothing ever happened until now. I kept telling FI that we need to bring the cats to the vet but he said his uncle(retired Vet who's old school) doesn't think the cats ate it since they are not acting sick plus the ring is small (my tiny 3.5 finger) enough that it probably will be ok to poop out. I'm really praying they didn't eat it since I will be feeling really guilty if anything happens to them. 

I know what you mean about having two identical ring. We went to two jewelers today and couldn't find anything we like =(. I guess I have the next week to make my decision. BTW, what's the name of your jeweler? My other option would be having something custom made that's similar but not identical to the original one. I feel kind of bad going back to my mom's jeweler since I didn't end up getting my bands there. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_e-ring-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:61f5fe8d-3eac-4a31-99d2-d13aa8747152Post:702f50c3-8e93-4a93-8fe3-37699830f97d">Re: E-Ring advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW, what's the name of your jeweler? My other option would be having something custom made that's similar but not identical to the original one. I feel kind of bad going back to my mom's jeweler since I didn't end up getting my bands there.   
    Posted by christikao[/QUOTE]
    So frustrating... sorry hon.  I know what you mean about tiny rings.  Mine is a 3.5 too!  I have two jewelers.  One that I do some work for here in New Milford is Robertson Jewelers.  They're fabulous and they have two really talented bench jewelers in house.  I could even introduce you if you'd like (if you feel like heading up this way).  My other jeweler is Peter Kahan in NYC.  His business is Katz Jewelers and they're in the diamond district.  He made our wedding bands and has done a ton of other custom pieces for me.  He's fabulous, but of course not that convenient, since he's in the city.  He is amazing though and has saved me a ton of money lol.  Feel free to FB me about it if you want more info on either of them.  Good luck!

Oh, one other though.  Our cat likes shiny things and sometimes hides his toys.  Do your cats have any places they hide things?  Maybe they picked it up to play with it and stashed it somewhere?  or in their bed? food dish?  Did you strip your bed?  Maybe it got wrapped up in the sheets?  I'm sure you've torn the house apart, but I figured I'd mention it. :-)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Carrie! If I don't find it by end of the week I will fb you for their info. I don't mind going up to New Milford and it's super easy for me to take the train down to the city. I asked around several jewelers in CT about .85-1 ct G/VS2/Ideal cut stone and the pricing they gave are about 30%-40% higher than reputable online sites like BlueNile. I prefer doing business with actual people and have no problem paying a little extra but 40% is just too much. 

I checked the sheets and everything. I even tried to tempt my cats with my wedding bands but they took no interest and walked away. 
  • jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey girl,

I'm soo sorry for you because I feel your frustration 110% - the SAME EXACT THING happened to me last week.  I woke up wearing my ring (I know it for a fact because I remember playing with it before I actually got out of bed) but I never shower with it on, I always just put it on the counter next to the sink.  Well while I was in the shower, one of the cats jumped up on the counter and I heard FI shoo it off.  Guess what was missing when I got out of the shower?  Yep.  And of course I didn't notice till I was dressed and ready to walk out the door.  However, I ended up finding it in my makeup case which I keep kinda tucked under the sink.

I'd hold off a bit and keep looking.  I've had my cats mess with my jewelry before and once I found a different ring that I'd been looking for for AGES turn up under the bathroom rug.

Good luck!  I'll pray to St. Anthony for you :-P
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Jenny! I really hope the cats were just playing with it and it's somewhere in here. My FILs told me to pray to St. Anthony too so I'll try that tonight. 
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry this happened to you, but also glad to hear I'm not the only one who takes my ring off when I'm doing stuff at home. FI is always telling me my cat (who is a major thief) is going to steal it. It's been over a year and she hasn't yet (knock on wood)! Someone I work with just lost her wedding rings a few weeks ago. She had gone through her whole house, car, retraced every step and had finally given up. She ended up finding it at the bottom of her laundry basket. She had put it in her pants pocket and forgot it there! So maybe it'll turn up? I really hope it does, although it will really suck if you go buy a new ring and THEN have it turn up. 

As for your cat eating it, I don't think it's likely but it is possible. I'm a veterinary technician, and I have seen cats come in that have eaten dimes and nickels. They generally don't eat things like that though (most common is elastics, floss, strings, and plastic). If your cat DID eat the ring then it would be very sick within 2-3 days. Look for decreased appetite and vomiting as your main presenting symptoms. If the cat did eat it, then it will likely need surgery. They will not be able to safely pass something like that. Cats usually are not able to pass dietary indiscretions like dogs are. What I'm saying is, eating a ring would be serious. So if your cat isn't sick then they probably didn't eat it. 

Like one of the other girls said, does your kitty have a hiding spot for things? My cat puts everything she steals under our couch. No idea what I would do as far as getting a new ring! Maybe I would get the same ring so I wouldn't have to explain to people why it's different? I just hope it turns up for you! Best of luck.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww no I'm so sorry Christi! That's such an awful feeling, if it was your cats, it should turn up whether it be in their litter box or just lying around somewhere because they were playing with it. Have your FI talk to the jeweler he got it from and see if they can have any sympathy and cut him a deal of some sort for a 2nd one. As for getting the same one again, I say go for it. You said it was unique and you loved it.
  • edited December 2011
    Omg that is so scary. I really hope you find it. I agree with checking the cats- x-rays, and digging through the litter. I know its totally gross, but I'm sure it's an expensive piece of jewelry so it's worth it. I really hope you find it- I think I'd cry for days and be super frustrated if this happened to me.

I lost my large elsa peretti tiffanys heart pendant and I know it was in the house. I can't find that thing to save my life and I am so upset about it I cried. I never lose jewelry like that-  but I still hold fast to the fact that I think my cat stole it and hid it somewhere I have yet to find! Best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Also after reading this again wanted to add that my ring is from Blue Nile- I actually JUST got it re-fitted by them (have up to a year to do so, I was cutting it close lol), and their customer service is OUTSTANDING. I have never ever dealt with a company with such superior service. I do know it's odd to not deal with an actual person when buying jewelry, but if you are thinking of going with Blue Nile, you shouldn't worry at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for the support! I had FI check the litter box yesterday after they did their business and nothing =(. So far the cats are not showing signs of discomfort so I don't think they ate it. I checked all their hiding spots and nothing. I did remember seeing them playing in the bath tub before I realized the ring was gone so I really think it went down the drain since FI took the drain stop out since it plugging up the drain.

FI got the ring from Michael's and they kind of ignored me when I mention that I should get a discount for a second ring when we were there yesterday. Right now I'm leaning toward buying a loose stone online and either use the same setting from Michael's or go with one of the vendors Carrie recommend.

Lesson learned. Getting the jewelry insurance ASAP!!
  • edited December 2011
    Call the plumber! :P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you think it may be in the bathtub - I would DEF call a plumber. A $200 plumber bill would be worth it, if you find it, right?

It can still be in the "catch", as long as no one has taken a bath and dumped a whole load of water down the drain, it may have been able to withstand the draining without a regular shower.

I know it's maddening to not have a ring on your finger when you're already engaged, but perhaps you may just want to wait a little bit longer to see if it turns up?  It would be such a shame to purchase another ring and then finding the other one soon after.  And if you and FI are paying for a wedding and honeymoon, I'm sure it may be challenging to come up with another chunk of cash!

However, on the other hand, if money is not an issue then get yourself another ring - and get exactly what you want!! :)

Food for thought:
    Don't most stores have a 30 day return policy?  If you find your original ring in 30 days, will you be able to return the replacement?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

120 have been sent the invite image
    90 are ready to boogie image
    26 are party poopers image
    4 haven't read the etiquette book image
    RSVP DATE : April 10, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

FI did take a shower after I noticed the ring's gone so I think most likely it's gone =(. I know the manager at Micahel's said they will accept return for refund up to 2 weeks and store credit up to 30 days but not sure how other jewelers are since I really would prefer going somewhere else since Michael's is expensive for what you get.

• edited December 2011
    and ps.

size 3.5 ring!  SO TINY! :)

and one more thing. . .
    I just got a postcard in the mail that Helzberg Diamonds in Danbury Fair Mall is having a redesign event.  So perhaps they have some settings you might like!

Good Luck whatever you do!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

120 have been sent the invite image
    90 are ready to boogie image
    26 are party poopers image
    4 haven't read the etiquette book image
    RSVP DATE : April 10, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RachelDliteRachelDlite member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh man! Sorry to hear! Hope the ring turns up. I put my ring in a bowl on a shelf away from any drains or holes in the bathroom along with my watch so I know to pick it up after when I get out of the bathroom. I'm glad your cat is ok. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards