June 2012 Weddings

Band or Dj??

Now i am not set on this either way, i will give as much info as i possibly can. I put a poll up on fb and some of my actual guests have said dj and others have said band.We are having both a social & wedding so we need music for both. Not everyone at the social will be at the wedding. I won't even know everyone at the social so i am not sure if i would want to spend the money on a band then.

I am debating whether or not to have a live band and if it should be for the social or for the wedding, the one i heard before is only $950 with gas (oot) which is cheap, the dj is 400 (with tip) so not a huge break the bank. Some people think social, some people think wedding, to me a wedding is more intimate and a band would fit more, and to others they think a dj that can play it all would fit more, and to me at the social i would want fist pumpin action music (overly descriptive lol) which you don't really get from a band. Now as i said i am torn, not set and opinions are very much welcome. I know it is our wedding but i want to please my guests, i want to make sure THEY have a good time.

Here is the biggest part of my hold up, his cousin had them at their wedding. I don't want someone to think i am copying them. I did not dance ( i need pop music but at my own wedding i would dance anyways) but i knew every song and i had a very enjoyable time listening to them. The dance floor was PACKED for every song, not like hit & miss with a dj, maybe it was more people did not want the band to play for no one or what but i have never seen so many people stay on the floor.

If you were me (your not, i know) what would you do? What do you think would please your guests (most are pretty non-judgemental and would have fun either way) the most? This band has both a female & male singer, they are really good. The dj i have is also good & knows how to work the crowd.

Would you have the band for the social or wedding?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Band or Dj??

• Personally I'd do a DJ for both.  Bands can sometimes be limited with what they can play and at least with a DJ you know they can pretty much play anything.  I tend to like the original version of songs better than when  band performs it...just my opinion.  : )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There was a band that played "Parents' Weekend" when I was in college that everyone loved (a huge blues band called Roomful of Blues: http://www.roomful.com/). So many of us vowed that if we got married in the city where we went to college, we'd have that band.  If I see that band, I'm elated...I associate them with great memories and great parties.

Also, one of my friends had the same band that her brother and sister had at their weddings.  She said that it's almost a family tradition.  They love the front man and he remembers the different family members now.

I guess I'm saying that you shouldn't write off this band simply because they were at another family wedding.  Your families members might be excited to see them again because the band was part of another fun event!

Anyway, we still haven't decided.  I love the idea of having a certain band, but they are extremely expensive to use.  A DJ makes much more sense financially.
  • BTW, this is my favorite wedding band around here.  In the video, about 1:45 in, a friend of mine is dancing at a wedding they played.  At her back is Carter Beauford, the drummer from the Dave Matthews Band (originally from my town).  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5tGrVRy0Y
  • he has an awesome voice. thanks for the opinions ladies. I am not worried weezie, they have a HUGE selection of songs that they can play and the only genre not hit is pop (beiber, brittany etc) which i am OK with not having anyways lol. They can do almost anything else. I also get to pick out their entire set list from what they can play (they have my wedding dance song already on there). I have time to decide, just wanted to see what other people think.
  • I personally would go with a DJ. I don't like covers either. They have more variety also.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd go with a DJ personally. I've never heard a live band play the fun line dance songs (electric slide, cha cha slide, cupid shuffle, etc.) and I can't have a wedding reception without them! lol

Also...what is a social in regards to a wedding?
  • I don't think it matters that you have the same vendor, whether it be music or something else. It's your and your FI's wedding, so it's going to be different just because it's y'alls and honestly, I'd be surprised at how many people would actually remember who the dj was. You'll also have different songs on your play and do not play list, so that changes things up as well.

We're personally having a band at our reception. I would be all for a DJ, but FI is not giving in on this one, so we'll have a band. We're looking for one that plays lots of different types of music, and if the band is high energy and enthusiastic, then your guests will be as well (same for the DJ).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:73466d05-a013-4db3-8b21-f28fd122748f">Re: Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]BTW, this is my favorite wedding band around here.  In the video, about 1:45 in, a friend of mine is dancing at a wedding they played.  At her back is Carter Beauford, the drummer from the Dave Matthews Band (originally from my town).  :) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5tGrVRy0Y" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5tGrVRy0Y</a>
    Posted by CvilleClaire[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh my gosh, I love The Dickens! They are really awesome...our photographer did their new cover art. They also cost like $10,000, so it's definitely expensive. </div>
  • We're personally having a DJ but its because I like to hear songs by their original artist. Plus, it does save money - our DJ is 2,500 vs a band that would start around 6,000 for our area.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:beee0673-5c5d-4a1a-890b-35fb1b9cbf2a">Re: Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're personally having a DJ but its because I like to hear songs by their original artist. Plus, it does save money - <strong>our DJ is 2,500</strong> vs a band that would start around 6,000 for our area.
    Posted by diamondx423[/QUOTE]

I about went into shock reading this number. I am so glad I have a friend who DJ's and is giving me a good deal. Seeing this makes me appreciate him even more. :)
  • Midget - A social is a big party where people buy tickets, we have a cash bar (all proceeds to us) and silent auction. It is a fundraiser for the wedding. We are using ours for our HM. Socials are huge in my province, in my circle you HAVE to have one lol, people look forward to them more than the wedding. It is also for those people to come who won't be coming to the wedding.

Wow diamond i am glad i do not live where you live, the dj is 400 (with tip) and the band is 950 (with gas) i couldn't imagine paying those prices lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:191781e7-39d3-4e0d-842f-d0caa805e301">Re: Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Band or Dj?? : Oh my gosh, I love The Dickens! They are really awesome...our photographer did their new cover art. They also cost like $10,000, so it's definitely expensive. 
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]Yes, they are out of our budget for sure!  They'd be about $7000-8000 to book here.  The DJ will probably run $1500 or so (and we'll get some lighting and an outdoor PA for our ceremony added on...I think).
  • I prefer DJs too.  I also have the cost issue with my area.  DJs are at $1,500+ and bands are $3,000+.  Needless to say, I am definitely going with a DJ!
  • I'm also going with a DJ because bands are so expensive here.  However, if bands were roughly the same as a DJ and I found a good one, I'd go with the band.
  • I'm also on team DJ.  I just like the variety for the reception.  Although we are considering some type of live music for the ceremony and cocktail hour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:6a517dd3-745a-41d2-a1cb-d31d79729a47">Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dance floor was PACKED for every song, not like hit & miss with a dj, maybe it was more people did not want the band to play for no one or what but i have never seen so many people stay on the floor.
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]

I will say that it TOTALLY depends on your DJ as to whether things are "hit or miss."  A really good DJ will be able to read your crowd and play appropriate music to make sure they're having a good time.  You also typically have the advantage of a much larger library of music, plus most DJs (at least ones around here) are willing to buy & play songs and even specific renditions of songs that you like.

A band can create a more intimate atmosphere, but it does depend on your guests and what they like.  They also have a far more limited repertoire when it comes to what they are able and willing to play.  One thing to consider is that bands do occasionally make mistakes with the songs they play - some people consider this a good thing, as it gives a human quality to the music being played, while others really prefer a "flawless" performance of the music they like!
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • We're having a band. Bands are more popular around here than DJs.
    Photobucket
  • We're having a DJ for sure.  Like PP said, bands can be pretty limited and most DJ's will have something for just about everyone at your wedding in their playlists, so more chance of getting everyone on the dance floor!  And yeah I wouldn't shell out that much for the social for a band.
    June 2012 Sig Challnege July: Ceremony Location
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a band, my mom phoned me tonight and that is her bf's wedding present, he is paying the difference of the cost of the dj because they want it and she knew i wanted it too. my mom's gift to us was half of my wedding dress, i was floored and overwhelmed tonight :)  Honestly this band is awesome, even my bm who was totally all for dj changed her mind after listening to their clips. eek!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:26309db3-3196-4907-9049-c436849a778c">Re: Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having a band. Bands are more popular around here than DJs.
    Posted by courtneyclare103[/QUOTE]
    I'd have a band if I was in NOLA, too!  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_band-dj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:823c2970-f7aa-45e5-857b-e9bf33ed8bb1Post:3c22db08-ca67-4a5d-8caa-9f65bb06349e">Re: Band or Dj??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Midget - A social is a big party where people buy tickets, we have a cash bar (all proceeds to us) and silent auction. It is a fundraiser for the wedding. We are using ours for our HM. Socials are huge in my province, in my circle you HAVE to have one lol, people look forward to them more than the wedding. It is also for those people to come who won't be coming to the wedding. Wow diamond i am glad i do not live where you live, the dj is 400 (with tip) and the band is 950 (with gas) i couldn't imagine paying those prices lol.
    Posted by sweetcanadian1979[/QUOTE]

I want one! That is an awesome idea.
  • They are very awesome midget
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards