Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Gift Opening?

My FI is adamently opposed to doing a formal gift opening, and I am not 100% sold on it either.  We would just rather do a morning after brunch with whomever is at the hotel and just open our gifts on our own time.  What are your thoughts? Are you doing a formal gift opening?

TIA!

Re: Gift Opening?

• edited December 2011
    We are doing exactly that. We're planning on doing a brunch in a private room of the hotel that guests can drop into and say bye on their way out. However, I'm super awkward about opening gifts and I'd rather just open them alone in our hotel room with my new hubbie :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No big gift opening for us. We would rather spend that time relaxing with our families before they go home - FI's sister has to move into her SDSU dorm room the day after our wedding!
    After brunch, we'll somehow get all of our stuff & gifts home, and whomever helps us bring them home will probably stick around while we open them - probably just my parents and a couple best friends.

Sidenote - We aren't planning on having an official, hosted brunch either. They're awesome for sure... People have to eat breakfast, and we want to eat together, but we decided early on that we can't host a brunch, too.  Need to find a place that accepts a rez for 14 tho.
    eight twenty-seven ten
    reviews to come, i promise
  • edited December 2011
    We just did a brunch in the hotel, too.  We figured if people wanted us to open the gifts in front of them we would, but no one asked.  We just ate bagels and talked about the night before!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if you would consider it "formal" but we are putting an insert in the invitiation that after guests check out of the hotel (around 11AM) my Hubby and I will be opening gifts in a private room in the hotel. (They are more than welcome to get brunch in the restaurant but we are not hosting) Its more like a FYI or optional part. (My FMIL is very formal and I can see her as taking it more seriously then we plan on taking it haha)
  • Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I don't think think anyone would really miss it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    After a ton of badgering from my mother about how we HAD to have a gift opening we are having one.  My FMIL was gracious enough to open her home to our out of town releatives and is having a light brunch catered.  I am not very excited about the deal ut to appease my mother e went ahead.  I feel like it really isn't anyones buisness who gave what and I'm afraid feelings may be hurt because we have relatives in a economic brackets.  If I felt like I had a choice I wouldn't have one for that reason.  But that's just how our family is.
  • edited December 2011
    We did not do a gift opening and I'm so glad we did not.  DH and I opened the gifts the night after just the 2 of us. You will be so exhausted the next day that I think it would be hard to be chipper and happy during a gift opening. We didn't have anything planned, but the next day whoever was at the hotel pretty much showed up around 10am in the breakfast room and we all ate together.

I never thought about it, but I totally agree with Honeybear.  I think it would be akward opening gifts in front of people because you'll get a huge mix of price points.  Also, we didn't really even get that many actualy gifts...we mostly got cards with money.  I don't know if you open cards with money at a gift opening, but I think that would be wierd to say thanks fort $150 from aunt x and then open the card from aunt y and say thanks for $25.
  • KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do a gift opening.  The majority of our gifts came weeks before the wedding.  On the actual day, only 3 people actually brought a gift in person.  So at the brunch, we all just ate and talked.

Plus, I don't like opening gifts in front of people.  It's always awkward for me.
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing a brunch per-se - we're having our WP and families over the day after to watch the Vikings game and BBQ, but we'll probably wait to open gifts until people have left. I'm in agreement with Honeybear - I'm not very comfortable with people knowing who gave what.

I think formal gift openings are a bigger deal to some moms, but they're sort of an  antiquated thing. I've never once thought "oh rats, I missed the gift opening!", you know?
  • wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a brunch the day after for out of town family and friends but did not open gifts until after everyone had left.  I don't like having to open gifts in front of people and pass them around and pretend to be all happy and chipper about someone's thoughtful but really fugly gift. 

Seriously - DH's aunt makes some very whimsical items for family members and I anticipated we'd be getting one.  I went so far as to talk to MIL about how something like that was just not our style and how terrible I'd feel if she went to all that time and trouble to create something for us that we wouldn't put out at home ever.  Apparently, she didn't pass along the message. 

Seriously - when that came out of the bag, my FIL snapped a picture and the expression on my face is nothing short of "what the heck IS this thing?"  Yeah, not what I want to have everyone see.  Trust me when I say you'll be tired, short on sleep, and not necessarily on your A game.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  After a bit of thought and discussion we are just going to do a brunch and whomever wants to stop by can.  No gift opening :) I was uncomfortable opening gifts in front of p1eople at the bridal shower, much less after a wedding!!  I appreciate your help
  • chou_chouchou_chou member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a "formal" gift opening -- my mom hosted it at her house and picked up fried chicken + side dishes from Cub and we invited parent, grandparents and people who helped with the wedding over.  Only a handful of people actually came, we did open presents (it was fun for us, we got to spend more time with DH's parent since they live in FL) and we had a good time.  We were in and out in 2 hours, we weren't that tired from the night before - I think we were still running on adrenaline and giddiness!

I think they are nice to have if there are people you'd like to see a bit more of before all the festivities are officially over - people are generally excited to see what you got, while some won't even watch and will just sit and mingle instead.  Completely up to you and your preferences, I don't think they are necessary but I'm glad we did one!
  • laura_fettlaura_fett member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having one, for just family and maybe the WP if they want to come. We're having a simple brunch (I'm trying to keep it simple, but MOB is so excited about it since this is the only part she is really planning, that it might get a bit out of hand). Anyway, I know there are a few people in my family that would want to come to something like that, and if people don't want to watch they can leave after brunch or hang out in another room.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We aren't doing either of them. To be honest, we're all gonna get gifts that we probably don't like or didn't want. I would be mortified if I opened one in front of the giver and did not hide my reaction well enough (even though I'd really try). And why should everyone see what a person gets? The next day we're leaving for the honeymoon, so we aren't going to be in any mind to host a brunch. The whole thing just seems silly to me.
    Photobucket
  • KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gift-opening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:5137b0c4-3c8a-4171-8a84-c2bf6d82f2e3Post:eb03f835-d2e9-4360-b01e-4d91e70c8354">Re: Gift Opening?</a>:
    [QUOTE]...  Seriously - when that came out of the bag, my FIL snapped a picture and the expression on my face is nothing short of "what the heck IS this thing?" 
    Posted by wittyschaffy[/QUOTE]

LOL! (well, at work, so SLIMM silent laugh inside my mouth) what was it??
    eight twenty-seven ten
  • edited December 2011
    "We aren't doing either of them. To be honest, we're all gonna get gifts that we probably don't like or didn't want. I would be mortified if I opened one in front of the giver and did not hide my reaction well enough (even though I'd really try). And why should everyone see what a person gets? The next day we're leaving for the honeymoon, so we aren't going to be in any mind to host a brunch. The whole thing just seems silly to me."

My entire family is coming from out of state and I rarely get to see them so that is why we are doing a brunch-just another chance to visit family as the wedding won't be the most ideal time to really sit down and chat.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gift-opening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:5137b0c4-3c8a-4171-8a84-c2bf6d82f2e3Post:f8c4bef6-e2b0-4343-8192-856ed1b57c91">Re: Gift Opening?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift Opening? : LOL! (well, at work, so SLIMM silent laugh inside my mouth) what was it??
    Posted by KittE7[/QUOTE]

It was a fairy scene sort of diorama thing of what she imagined our private ceremony would look like (we got married at the conservatory in Como).  It was complete with a "fountain",  "swimming" swans, a waterfall, a sand path, glittery stuff all over, glued on fabric roses, etc.  It was obviously very time comsuming to make but holy not my style. I have a picture - see below.

<a href="http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/" rel="nofollow">http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/</a>
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like going to gift openings, but only because I'm really nosy and want to see what everyone gave. FI and I definitely won't be doing one, though.
  • KittE7KittE7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift Opening? :  It was a fairy scene sort of diorama ...It was obviously very time comsuming to make but holy not my style. I have a picture - see below. <a href="http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/" rel="nofollow">http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/</a>

oh-em-ghee. that's awesome.  well in a fugly way awesome.  you should make it into a christmas ornament or something!  I love the giant swans!  thx for the giggle!
    so you then made a shutterfly page named after the fairyscene? hehe.
    eight twenty-seven ten
    edited December 2011
    I did indeed!  I was trying to show it to some girls on my club board one afternoon and my work blocks just about every other option so I made a share site.  It works!  :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_gift-opening-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:5137b0c4-3c8a-4171-8a84-c2bf6d82f2e3Post:e91cbe94-a561-462d-82e1-52a961badb91">Re: Gift Opening?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gift Opening? :  It was a fairy scene sort of diorama thing of what she imagined our private ceremony would look like (we got married at the conservatory in Como).  It was complete with a "fountain",  "swimming" swans, a waterfall, a sand path, glittery stuff all over, glued on fabric roses, etc.  It was obviously very time comsuming to make but holy not my style. I have a picture - see below. <a href="http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/" rel="nofollow">http://fairyscene.shutterfly.com/</a>

That is, without a doubt, the best gift I've ever seen. Hands down.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm hoping to not do a gift opening, but we'll see how much my mom and FMIL press the issue.  I plan on us being up well into the wee hours, and we're hopefully only going to get envelopes, so I think it would be pretty boring for people to watch us open them.  As for wanting to visit more with people, the only ones I'll want to see will be my BFF/MOH, her husband, and maybe some of FI's friends who will be coming from Canada.  I see more of FI's family than I want to already, and I just don't like my extended family very much.  I'm not big on reunions, if you couldn't tell. Tongue out
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards