September 2013 Weddings

Honeymoon??

So I have started looking at honeymoon options... I would really like to go somewhere out of the country... Playa del Carmen or cancun or somewhere with an allinclusive package that is amazing... BUT I have no idea as I have never been out of the country and do not even know where to begin... Every resort has recent glowing reviews and then recent absolutely horrible reviews....
Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Honeymoon??

• You and me both!

We have a summer house that has been our "vacation" for as long as I can remember so we haven't traveled much!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • we're going back and forth about our honeymoon too. we said hawaii, then we said aruba. now we have no clue! we still have lots of time though!
  • I guess I am just trying to decide on the top 5 places - so i can pay attention to the weather at the end of September / start of Oct this year - so I know if we are going to get blown away in a hurricane or something
    I just really don't even know how to go about it - other than we still need passports - i do know that much
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are going on an Eastern Caribbean Cruise.. BUt I would also check into sandals resorts. There is a great one in St.Lucia. ITS GORGEOUS there!
  • We are trying to plan as well but everyone is bugging me out about hurricane season! 

We originally wanted to drive down the east coast down to the Florida Keys, stay for a week and then fly home.  Fi now wants to do Napa Valley and the west coast drive. 

I REALLY want a beautiful pool with a swim up bar.  That is my only must have.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Me and FI went to Cancun in May for memorial day and it was fabulous and gorgeous.  We stayed at an all-inclusive place called The Royal.  We booked on expedia.  We are going to Hawaii for the HM just to try something different.  And we are meeting with a travel agent because we'll be there much longer than Cancun and want to get it right.  I would definitely recommend using www.tripadvisor.com for real feedback.  Every time I have used that site for their reviews I've never been steered wrong.  But you might also want to check with an experienced agent.  Of course this time we'll use a combo of that site plus what the agent recommends. 
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    We were very concerned about the hurricane belt! We ended up booking a fabulous penthouse suite in Aruba for the week after our wedding. It's adult exclusive, but not all-inclusive -- but that was fine with us, we want to be able to go out and eat at the many fabulous places Aruba has to offer.

FI did a ton of research on tripadvisor.com, and he has been frequenting the boards there since we booked. Might be a good place to start looking?

My only, slight, qualm is that Aruba is more desert-y than rainforest-y, so there won't be any ziplining through rainforests or tropical bird watching excursions. But there will be plenty of BEACH and RELAXING and EATING, which is what we are all about. I think it's important to determine what kind of honeymoon you want (adventure, relaxing, beach, forest, etc) and go from there.
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom is giving us her timeshare in Mexico for the week, so it's just a matter of choosing which resort.  However, we've decided to take a 2nd week on our own dime, and that's where things start to get a little fuzzy.  I think Jamaica because we would both love to go there, but I haven't researched at all yet.

I also have never been out of the country and am definitely ready to touch new shores!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:c124f0cb-8bb5-4b99-b468-14510b86a60cPost:9594845f-5411-4f16-b924-6d8afb033a6e">Re: Honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were very concerned about the hurricane belt! We ended up booking a fabulous penthouse suite in Aruba for the week after our wedding. It's adult exclusive, but not all-inclusive -- but that was fine with us, we want to be able to go out and eat at the many fabulous places Aruba has to offer. FI did a ton of research on tripadvisor.com, and he has been frequenting the boards there since we booked. Might be a good place to start looking? My only, slight, qualm is that Aruba is more desert-y than rainforest-y, so there won't be any ziplining through rainforests or tropical bird watching excursions. But there will be plenty of BEACH and RELAXING and EATING, which is what we are all about. I think it's important to determine what kind of honeymoon you want (adventure, relaxing, beach, forest, etc) and go from there.
    Posted by mpickl[/QUOTE]

oh man. i think you just sold me on Aruba.
  • edited August 2012
    I agree with PP. FI and I love to travel and Trip Advisor is the best! I never go anywhere anymore without consulting it.

As for bad reviews, every place will have someone who is displeased. there are just miserable people in the world. Just assess what they are complaining about and whether other posters are saying similar things. You will never go wrong in a place like Sandals because they are geared towards honeymooners. But do some research because other resorts can be just a fabulous. FI and I had an amazing vacation in Antigua at Galley Bay based on Trip Advisor reviews!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One more thing: sniqueaway.com is a site that offers discounts on hotels that have the highest trip advisor rating. As you will probably be planning the honeymoon further out then the sales are available (they are usually only offered for a few months in advance and you never know which hotel will be offered) it might not be the best to book or get the discounts but I use it to research the hotels. We are thinking of honeymooning in Fiji and when a Fiji resort came up on Sniqueaway I looked it up and discovered an amazing hotel! I put in on the list of potentials for the honeymoon. Right now they are offering deals on resorts in Playa del Carmen,Dominican Republic, Hawaii, Florida, Arizona, London, etc. it might be worth the look for future reference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We want to take our Lil guy so right now we are planning on Disney.  I have family in Orlando so they can keep him while FI and I have some alone time as well. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:c124f0cb-8bb5-4b99-b468-14510b86a60cPost:d3f5e373-64eb-4247-9f36-25f01367627b">Re: Honeymoon??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon?? : oh man. i think you just sold me on Aruba.
    Posted by jpines22[/QUOTE]

<div>If that didn't, then check out where we are staying... I'll consider this my AW of the day...</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.bucuti.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.bucuti.com/</a> </div>
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Aruba or Hawaii...So hard to decide!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards