Wedding Woes

s/o mail delivery

What ever happened to the 'through hail and sleet and snow' thing?

If there is any sort of precipitation, aside from rain, we don't get mail. I mean, I don't want anyone in danger on my mail's behalf, but didn't UPS make that promise?

Re: s/o mail delivery

• MrsMyrtleMrsMyrtle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, they did. But I think they made that their motto when people were a little hardier. 
  • edited December 2011
    Either people got real wimpy really quickly, or....I'm incredibly elderly.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    When it snowed here last month, we didn't get mail for three days, and DH and I said the same thing about "through rain and snow and whatever else."  I agree, it's not worth them risking life and limb to rush my Pottery Barn catalog into the mailbox, but three days seemed excessive.
  • Butter CookieButter Cookie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure. The person I know who is a mail carrier has to drive through crazy amounts of snow on scary curvy dropoffy (like that word?) roads because there's no such thing as the weather being too bad, according to this person's boss.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like I said, I always see my mail person.  They have to actually SCAN our mailbox, otherwise I am sure it shows up somewhere that they skipped boxes.  But this is Iowa where every mail person wears a snow suit come December.
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My parents were both mail carriers - my dad for 20 years and my mom only part time for 3 or so years.  I don't ever remember either of them getting a day off because of the weather.  Sometimes the roads were so bad that they had to crawl along and people didn't get their mail until evening, but they always went through.

But there are tricks that some poeple would use to speed up their routes (my dad used to complain about these people...a lot)...like coming in super early and leaving before the guy bringing who pushes the cart around with new batches to sort could get to them with anything new (they usually sort in the afternoon when they get back from their route and then again first thing in the morning).  They are just making the next day harder for themselves that way but if it was a bad weather day they could shorten it that way.

And I think first class mail (and maybe 2nd class - like magazines) is the only thing that has to go out as soon as they get it.  So if the only mail you would have received was bulk mail or advertisements that go to every box...I THINK they can skip you (or put off the advertisements for everyone until tomorrow)....but I could be wrong on that.

Also, the city carriers (people who walk to the box at your door) and rural carriers (people who ride around in a little truck and deliver to the box on the road) have separate unions and different rules about routes and hours worked and such.  I'm on a city route now and I'm pretty sure my street is some leg that gets passed around to whoever has time that day.  I rarely have the same carrier for a whole week before it changes.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards