Attire & Accessories Forum

dresses

My bridesmaids prefer long dresses. Do I, the bride, also need to wear a long dress, or would it be appropriate if I chose a short one?

Re: dresses

• It doesn't matter. As long as they match in formality.

My dress was long and my BM's wore knee length dresses.
  • Thanks. I would not have any doubts if my dress were long, and their dresses were short. Just not sure it can, or should, go the other way. Does it seem like my dress being short would make it seem too casual? And, would that "clash" with the girls' dresses, seeming more formal?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dresses-10?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:5e52fdc5-b6df-42cd-8a84-6b0016f2e22fPost:e596138c-39bb-4b9c-8c4e-0e24dd17eddb">Re: dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks. I would not have any doubts if my dress were long, and their dresses were short. Just not sure it can, or should, go the other way. Does it seem like my dress being short would make it seem too casual? And, would that "clash" with the girls' dresses, seeming more formal?
    Posted by bunnys11[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. You see so many combinations with weddings these days, I think it will be fine.

Could you post a pic of the dress you are considering as well as the bridesmaid's dresses?
  • I don't think short=informal. It'll look great. Just choose something with a more substantial formal fabric, structure, and maybe some embellishment. Keep theirs long and less embellished. 
  • SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I had a floor length dress, and let my bridesmaids pick their own dresses (I just told them "purple" and let them get what they wanted). I ended up having one girl in a short (above the knee) dress, one in tea length, one in ankle length, and one in floor length, and it looked fine.

I actually think it would be cute with you in a short dress and girls in long. That way you get to show off your legs!

Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Short dresses are less formal than long ones.  The bridesmaids should not be MORE formal than the bride.

So If you want to wear short, I'd ask them to wear short as well.

(If there is a medical reason, or otherwise that a bridesmade needs a long skirt to cover, then that's a different story. Obviously she should be accomodated.  But if it is just her preference, then go with the short dresses. )
  • I see I'm odd man out, but I wouldn't do this. I agree with Dagney - your bridesmaids shouldn't be wearing more formal dresses than what you are wearing, and shorter dresses are, by definition, less formal.
  • Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think I'll go with long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards