Argh I am so frustrated. I went and saw the Marriott North in Cranberry, fell in love with it, and was about to sign the contract. My fiance is Army National Guard, and though there's only a very minimal chance he will get deployed and we will have to postpone things, there is a slim chance. The Marriott is unwilling to work with us, and if we sign the contract for the date that we want, if he is deployed and we can't hold it that date, we will owe a $9K cancellation fee. I let the General Manager know that we can't afford to lose that in the off chance that he is deployed, and that many people in the industry will allow a postponement if the service member's orders are given to them, and he said that we were welcome to "wait until it was guaranteed that he wouldn't be deployed to book our date." That's laughable. It's never guaranteed that he won't be deployed.
I just kind of needed to vent-- I can't call the General Manager back right now because I'm really upset. I guess it's time to start looking for new venues, and I really hope this isn't an issue that we're going to run into with everyone.