Louisiana-New Orleans

Under 10K anyone??

Is anyone's wedding under 10K or is anyone else trying for this?
What suggestions do you have for catering/reception/photog/flowers/ANYTHING that is helping you keep it under the 10,000 mark?
My parents are helping us, and although they could probably afford to spend quite a bit, we are really trying to keep it as cheap as possible (I'm not a formal seated dinner type of girl anyway). And as a side note, we really want a full on party--so night time, open full bar etc. (I wish this was as cheap as brunch!! haha)

Thanks everyone!

Re: Under 10K anyone??

• cutieliz70056cutieliz70056 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you definatly can if you are meaning $10k for just the reception. It might be kinda hard to do if you mean 10k for EVERYTHING (dress, flowers, ect). It all depends on what exactly you are wanting to do. HTH!!!
  • cm10/10cm10/10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How many guests are you having?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, I had my wedding and reception, everything all together, for about $4,000.  The biggest money saver, of course, is to cut down the guest list.  We only had 50 people, and that saved a lot of money.  Going for a less popular time can also save you money - we had a Sunday morning wedding, and champagne lunch buffet reception.  We saved a lot by not spending a lot on alcohol.  Finding an off beat reception spot that is not used neccesarily for weddings and caterers that will work on packages with you.  The Hotel Le Cirque was exactly what we were looking for - a small venue close to everthing, and the hotel block they gave us was only $78 a room.  We chartered one of the St. Charles Streetcars ($400), and it served as transportation for all of our guests and as the ceremony site itself.  Also, finding friends and family members who are willing to do things for you in lieu of a wedding gift - my cousin made our invitations and programs, and they were phenomenal.  It meant so much more than a Gift Certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond.  If you have any more questions, feel free to email me - my contact info is on my website wwwdotsheenaramirezdotcom.  Good luck with your planning!
  • AnneMargaretAnneMargaret member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you can definitely do it.  I'm having my reception at Smilie's Restaurant in Harahan - 150 guests, open bar, plus $1pp cake allowance, all for $3510 (I got a 10% discount for paying in full the day of booking).  My photographer and florist both work from home, so they're cheaper.  Beth Achord florist, and A Moment in Time photography (amoment-in-time.com).  Small wedding party, less expensive dress, smaller cake with sheet cake in the back.  I'm not doing save the dates, and I'll probably order my invites from theamericanwedding.com (although some fellow knotties suggested someone from etsy.com - I haven't looked into her yet, but it's a definite possibility).  I kind of splurged with the church (Holy Name of Jesus - I'm a Loyola alum, so I got it for $1,500, including fees).  Use your connections!  My FI's grandmother is making my veil, and his dad's boss's wife is going to sing at the ceremony for free.  His mom offered to pay for flowers, and his grandma is paying for our videographer as a wedding gift.  My mom's friend is probably going to do the calligraphy for free, too.  Check out the budget boards - they won't be able to help you with local vendor suggestions, but they have lots of other great advice on how to keep costs low.  Good luck!  I know it feels like it, but you're not the only one!
  • ashleymveeashleymvee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our total was about $9,000 for everything.  You just have to decide what your 3 most important things and then bend on everything but those 3 things.  Also, try to make a lot of stuff on your own.  If you make your own invites, that will save you a lot.  We didn't have an open bar, we had only wine and champagne...but ppl were still "happy" haha!  Pics are on our website if you are interested (link below)  Good Luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing ours at Southport Hall.  We wanted something more bigtime party and less fancy type and they do awesome alcohol heavy packages for cheap.  They also give you an option at the end of the reception to do a headcount of whoever is left, and for a fraction of the reception cost per head, you get another hour after-party.  But in the end we don't know how much money we will save because since it was such a good deal we invited EVERYONE.  Of course this is probably obvious but it never occurred to me, the more bridesmaids you have, the more expensive everything gets, from flowers to limos to rehearsal dinner and gifts...I have 10...so whatever you can do to simplify helps.  Also you could do what I really wanted to do, which is get married in Jamaica or something at an all-inclusive resort as a kickoff to your honeymoon!  I'm pretty sure you could do that on the cheap compared to a whole wedding deal.
  • edited December 2011

Oh yeah, and I made my own bouquets, of course some of the more traditional people think it's not up to par, but I did it for roughly $6/bouquet as opposed to $60 for real ones from a florist.  In the end I got a florist as part of a gift from in-law but it's very hard to pay all that when I was fine with my fakes:)  I also picked a pretty church so it would look fine like it is, no flower costs there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards