Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Cheap Venues in Philly?

Hi All,

I got married a couple of years ago and found this board very helpful... and now I am helping my best friend plan her wedding. 

She has a tight budget and would like to find a cheap venue for both ceremony and reception - preferably in downtown Philly, but also willing to look at nearby suburbs.  Probably no further than 45 minutes from center city in any direction. 

She hasn't worked out a guest list yet, but could probably be a smaller venue for up to 120.  Also no firm plans on time of year - mostly cares about getting the best price on a venue and then can plan date around that.

Any thoughts on creative suggestions for her?? 

Re: Cheap Venues in Philly?

• edited December 2011
    what does your friend consider cheap?  $90 per person? or less?  i would definitely suggest your friend get married nov-march.  the off season pricses are half the cost of high season.
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, "cheap" isn't actually very helpful is it? 

Yes, I think ~$90/person would be where she is looking, and she is definitely considering a winter wedding to get better rates. 
  • edited December 2011
    I should also qualify my response by saying that if we can find LESS than $90/person, that would obviously be better, but thats about her max. 

Also, does anyone know of places with minimal rental fees (or none at all!)?
  • edited December 2011
    aldie mansion, glen foerd mansion/knowlton mansion (just outside of the city)
    and theres always celebrations
    i would inquire hotels like the four seasons, the sheraton, the radisson, etc. 

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Holiday Inn in Independence Mall was about that when I was looking last year for a Saturday in November.  I was sold just off of location but H didn't like the whole "Holiday Inn" thing.  He's a snob ;)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I have heard that any of the venues P&P Catering runs are a very good bang for your buck. I don't know about specific pricing, though.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions!

If she decides to really go budget on the wedding, are there actually venues in center city for significantly less than around $90/person? 

I looked exclusively outside Philly for my own wedding, so have no idea what is realistic in the city.
  • edited December 2011
    you will defintily be able to find something cheaper than 90pp in the off season.  (just as long as she isnt tooo picky =)
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

a lot of the girls arent on today, so wait until monday to check back on this thread, im sure there will be a lot of good suggestions.

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have to say that I have absolutely no idea, but I kind of doubt it.  We also looked outside the city and did find one venue for around $85/pp but were super skeeved out by the neighborhood around said venue and were very off-put by the guy we met with.  We ran far, far away.  I am guessing that you might be able to find better places in that range if you were willing to look into fire halls, etc., maybe?
  • edited December 2011

Pen Ryn Mansion might be a good option too.

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I e mailed 100 venue's in all locations asking what discount they gave for winter, some came back with really high discounts. i'd say go that route first, for every venue you can google in the city that looks nice, and then the top 5 or so that come in, in your price range, check out. Winter will give you TONS of discounts... and they throw in extra's a lot too. If she decides with a winter wedding, feel free to ask questions.

• edited December 2011
    Great - will check back next week.  Happy New Years!
  • edited December 2011
    I am booked with P&P caterers. They are great. About $65 pp :)
  • lisalaroclisalaroc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know from my experience I didn't find much in the city under $125-$150.  However, My wedding is the end of June so I am sure many of those places would be a LOT cheaper in the off season.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    If shes willing to consider delaware (40-50 miles from Philly) my sister got married at white clay creek country club for $100/person but it was inclusive of practically everything such as tax, gratuities, cake and even centerpieces from a real florist!
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Brookside Manor at Somerton Springs. It's in Feasterville, and they have a package for $65, including nearly everything. They have other, more expensive packages too. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding was in November (on a Saturday) and we didn't find anything in the city under $100.

Where does it say that November starts "off season"?  I read that a lot on this board,  but there was no difference in price at any of the places I looked at between November and October.  I originally was looking at October.  The only way I saw to get a less expensive price was to have a Friday or Sunday wedding.
    Photobucket
  • sarboyer1808sarboyer1808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi everyone,

I am thinking of looking into a winter wedding if the discounts are good.  Anyone have experience with specific venues in Center City where they got winter discounts?  I'd love to hear your tips, since I am just starting this process!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_cheap-venues-philly?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:4f632254-5fb4-4548-9d9a-1a2f19a94f98Post:608d466b-4cd9-44fa-af6c-605f2dd206db">Re: Cheap Venues in Philly?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I am thinking of looking into a winter wedding if the discounts are good.  Anyone have experience with specific venues in Center City where they got winter discounts?  I'd love to hear your tips, since I am just starting this process!
    Posted by sarboyer1808[/QUOTE] you should make this into a separate post :) and make that your intro and tell us your story! :)
  • bballgirl8789bballgirl8789 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are booked at DiPinto's Catering on Torresdale Avenue.  They have a lot of things included with their package, full bar (including top shelf, dessert table, cake, floral centerpieces).  Their website is kinda outdated, but it is a great facility.  I went there for a wedding a few years ago and their food is awesome.  My best friends older sister had her reception there and were very pleased with them.  We are paying about $45/person for a Saturday evening reception.  They give discounts for Friday, Sunday and Saturday afternoon receptions also.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • theparischictheparischic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a bridal gown designer in Philly. I found the perfect site for my future wedding near the Grand Piazza at Schmidt's. It is called Cesaphe. It is grand in the inside. It is on the low budget end, which is what I chose for my small family. Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think.

Annie
    Designer & Owner
    Paris Chic Brides (near the Piazza)
    www.ParisChicBrides.com Smile
  • edited December 2011
    Annie,

Thanks for the suggestion for a venue - however, you are not allowed to advertise your own bridal gown design company here on the boards.  Please remove that part of your post or the mod will have t do it for you :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards