Not Engaged Yet

Fears

Do you have an irrational fear? Or do you have a normal fear with a greater reaction than most people?

What are you afraid of and what is your reaction to it?
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 

Re: Fears

• tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am afraid of something happening to the ones I love , especially FI. I tend to have severe anxiety and panic attacks if I cannot get ahold of him even though I have to tell myself over and over it will be okay. I have abandonment issues - an ex of mine actually dumped me off at an amusement park once , promised to meet up later..I had to beg my way home.

I hate that my fears take over my life time to time. I am actually paranoid to be away from him any more than I need to - I find it hard to enjoy myself unless I know he is "safe".

Other than that - spiders. But I love tarantulas because they are fuzzy !
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I hate birds...especially chickens. I don't know why I hate chickens the most I have just always been afraid of them. A bird attacked me in D.C. once, but I was afraid of them before that though. I have no idea where this fear comes from...but its always been a fear of mine.

Also, heights. I know a lot of people say that but I really have a severe fear of heights. For example BF took me on a roller-coaster that got stuck at the very top while we were on it and I started having a panic attack. It took everything I had in me not to just start crying/screaming. Its mostly man-made structures that are high that I'm afraid of. I don't mind hiking up really high but like this weekend BF and some friends and I went on this hike up to a fire watching station. I made it up to the top of the mountain just fine but half way up the stairs of the look out I freaked out and couldn't go any further.

Taft - I also have a fear of my loved ones getting hurt or dying. I always have BF call me when he gets home at night so I know he's alright. If he forgets or I can't get a-hold of him I freak out. Its always a worry in the back of my head.

• tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Fears:
    [QUOTE Taft - I also have a fear of my loved ones getting hurt or dying. I always have BF call me when he gets home at night so I know he's alright. If he forgets or I can't get a-hold of him I freak out. Its always a worry in the back of my head.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I am not alone..it's not fun to deal with but sometimes I wish I could be "normal like everyone else and not worry" *hugs*
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm scared of dirty water. I have to stand a certain amount away from the drain in the shower. I won't take a bath unless I take a quick shower beforehand or there's bubbles to cover the water. I hate washing dishes by hand. The totally ocean freaks me out because all I can think of is that fish poop and die in it (along with humans from shipwrecks). I'm working on it getting over it, but it is not fun. Blargh.

I'm always terrified that BF is going to go down on his motorcycle (his dad died in a motorcycle accident in 2006). If he goes for a long solo ride and I don't hear from him I start to freak out. And of course I don't want to call him because I don't want the vibrating of his phone to distract him while he's driving so I just work myself into a tizzy until he gets home. He's usually pretty good about checking in when he stops at rest stops or gas stations though.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Spiders, though I'm not too bad.

Cliffs/unstable heights. I hate roads on cliffs because I'm afraid we'll drive right off.

Crowds. I was at an art & wine festival this weekend, and I was fighting hard to not have a panic attack because of the crowd.
  • edited December 2011
    Opossums freak me out beyond belief, I can't even see a picture of one without cringing. I have no idea why but they are just so weird.

Oh and chainsaws - not just at Halloween, pretty much any time. I think I was traumatized as a child during a fair with one and that was the end of that story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • zipis1zipis1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Spiders. Like...I have jumped out of my car into traffic because a spider crawled across the inside of my windshield and I totally panicked (the car was in park, thankfully. I was literally not in control of myself so I can't guantee that I wouldn't have done it were it not).

• desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think it's more paranoid than irrational, but I often think about crimes and how no one thinks it will happen to them, but it has to be SOMEONE, and that someone could just as easily be me.

Also, yes, spiders and bugs and creepy crawly or flying type things. I just about had a heart attack when a tarantula wasp was in my apartment a few weeks ago. Luckily, my halogen lamp saved me by luring it in and then frying it. I don't know WHAT I would have done otherwise! A spider I can hunt down and kill. Something that flies around and has a super painful sting? I just want to run away and hide!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I am deathly afraid of spiders! I am more afraid of swallowing them in my sleep (we swallow about 8 spiders in our sleep in a month or a year or something like that)  It freaks me out so i sleep with my sheets over my  mouth but I know that wont help one bit.

I am afraid of public restrooms. I only use them if I am in the process of peeing my pants or i desperately need to change a tampon and its my only option.

Im also afraid to drive through LA in the fast lane because the lanes are so skinny I feel like I will either run into the guard wall or a car will swerve into my lane. I still take this drive quiet often but it freaks me out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Scared of bunnies, seriously.

Not too fond of clowns, bees or christopher walken either.
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The sound of ice cracking.  It's like nails on a chalk board.  I avoid ice wherever possible.
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I fear the normal things- heights, bugs, people I love dying, etc.

I used to be close with a girl who was terrified of throw-up. She couldn't be near it what-so-ever. Seeing it, hearing it, smelling it, and sometimes even thinking about it or talking about it would send her over the edge. She was in therapy for it. She herself had only gotten sick once in her life, and we were friends throughout high school. (So it's not like she was 7)

I understand that people have fears for different reasons and to different extents, I just could never wrap my head around being scared of something natural. I don't know how this girl got through college, or how she will be if/when she ever has children and they get sick.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    Death. Specifically, my loved ones dying. If FI is late coming home, I have all these scenarios running through my head. When my grandparents call me I'm afraid something bad happened. If my parents call me late at night I'm afraid someone died. I have awful dreams where my family dies. It's not fun.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Spiders, stinging insects, clowns, and driving on bridges. Mine are pretty normal I think. But by and large my biggest fear is spiders - I completely shut down when one is in close proximity.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fears?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dc4626c1-2b75-4e09-ae7f-36394568566cPost:f1f6ede8-28ce-4eee-b6aa-3b3d6fb307e6">Re: Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Spiders, stinging insects, clowns, and driving on bridges. Mine are pretty normal I think. But by and large my biggest fear is spiders - I completely shut down when one is in close proximity.
    Posted by sapphirebaby926[/QUOTE]

So you siggie is based on a true story? LOL. I'm the same way. Instead of killing it myself, I'll sit there and yell "SPIDERRRRR!!!!!" while pointing.
    imageimageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fears?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:dc4626c1-2b75-4e09-ae7f-36394568566cPost:35594167-62ed-4dfb-b8ba-a6b08ec3e945">Re: Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fears : So you siggie is based on a true story? LOL. I'm the same way. Instead of killing it myself, I'll sit there and yell "SPIDERRRRR!!!!!" while pointing.
    Posted by ekathleen684[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah that's me anytime I see a spider - it's a good thing my cats love chasing and eating bugs. I haven't seen a spider in the house in a loooong time
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    - I'm terrified of spiders. Like, hyperventilate, cry-my-eyes-out terrified of spiders. I can swim with sharks and gators, play with snakes, etc., but a little spider will make me fly into a full-on panic attack.

- Also afraid of guns. But I have some pretty rational reasons behind that.

- I have a serious aversion to hospitals and needles. It used to be a full-blown fear, but after three years of hospital stays, injections, bloodwork, etc., at least I can sit through it now.

- I get claustrophobic under certain circumstances. But that kinda related back to the guns.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• edited December 2011
    Lizards.
    They. Are. Gross.  I hate how they are so quick and darty and ... just blech!

One time my parents gave me some lawn chairs, so I threw them in the back of the truck and drove home.  When I got there I thought it wise to unload my purse/keys/phone first and then go back for the chairs.  Well, on my way back upstairs one jumped off the chair and almost got into my apartment.  I dropped it like it was hot and got close enough to slam the door shut, but then that damn thing camped out in front of the door so I couldnt get inside. 

No phone.  No keys. 

I was stranded outside for 40 minutes or so until the neighbor came home and chased it away from the door for me.  I'm sure he thought I was a moron for being near hysterics about a lizard, but I've been terrified of them for a LONG time...

BTW, the chairs went into the dumpster.  Embarassed
    Photobucket
    12/25
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Push pins. They scare the living daylights out of me. I am so scared of being pricked by one, and I have no idea why. And yet, I love getting piercings.

I am also somewhat clausterphobic and have a hard time in crowds of people (thanks Dad...it runs in his family).
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unstable heights, or heights that I view to be unstable.  In my mind if it rocks, it's not solid.  If it is see-thru, it's not solid.  If it's not enclosed very well, not solid.  Example:  Solid railings on balconies are fine - glass railings and I FREAK.

Also going over a bridge on a bus.  This is my dad's fault.  He told me a story when I was a kid about a school bus going over a bridge near his house and the bridge started to collapse and the bus just made it *shiver*.  I know it's irrational but I literally had a panic attack last time I went over the bridge on a bus.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011

Spiders - of any size (well, except daddy long legs, for some reason). I live in the middle of the woods, and we get those huge nasty wood spiders. Not fun to walk into your room and find one hanging out between the window screen and the glass or crawling on the wall your bed is pushed up against.

Heights - bridges don't bother me, but I can't stand being up high or being unbalanced. It's why I don't ride a bike. I was in a musical once where I had to stand on a stage, on a desk, which was attached to a platform, in 2 inch heels, and sing a solo (at this point, I was about 8 ft off the ground). I had such a panic attack during the first rehearsal I did this that I couldn't sing and my director had to stop the production while I calmed down.

Pregnancy - I have a terrible irrational fear of being pregnant and pregnant women and everything having to do with it. This has probably been a latent fear my entire life, but now I'm at that age where people talk about it; and 4 girls I went to high school with have babies already, so it's surfaced recently.

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I'm like many of you...FI has to call me when he gets home, no matter what time of day it is.

Right now my biggest "fear" is introducing my dog and FI's 2 cats to each other - I'm afraid my dog (who really isn't that big and most of the time is the sweetest creature on earth) will not like the attention being taken away from her and will try to bite the cats or something.  FI keeps telling me that they'll all get along just fine, esp since I keep imaging the worst - so maybe it's good I keep imagining the worst case scenario, then it'll never happen, right?

I have a big fear of spiders (although I will kill them myself, but usually I have a big long fly swatter to do it), but mine is pretty rational - I had a friend who died as a result of a brown recluse bite.

I also have a fear of ticks...also rational, I had Lyme Disease (and even though it's different spellings, the word "lime" just gives me the heebeejeebees and I won't eat limes or lime jello).
  • edited December 2011
    I've got the normal fears - loved ones dying (I too run scenarios through my head when BF doesn't answer his phone), spiders, clowns, death.

One irrational fear Ihat I do have is throwing up. Specifically, throwing up in a public place where I won't be able to reach a bathroom or what not. I've sat in class, feeling physically nervous that I would get nauseous and have to run out to throw up and wouldn't be able to make the bathroom. I feel this way in a lot of places and it's stopped me from enjoying many things. I've found that carrying a plastic bag in my purse helps relieve this, somewhat.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm terrified of veins, even my own veins. If I think about the fact that I have veins with blood running through them, I start to get all panicky. When I was little I convinced myself my veins weren't real and were actually made of Play-Doh. I nearly pass out every time I give blood at the doctor, and if I acidentally hurt a veiny place like my wrist or foot I freak out.

I'm also scared of collar bones. I'm very protective of my collar bones, and I can't wear clothes of necklaces that rub on them.

If other people touch their veins or collar bones in front of me I get spastic. My BF and sister have learned this and do it all the time to entertain themselves.

I also have this weird fear of getting hit by an 18-wheeler, and when I'm in the car if one gets anywhere close to me I start imagining it hitting and killing me and I have a panic attack.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm pretty much with the rest of you regarding the fear of something happening to a loved one, but I try to avoid thinking about that at all.

A fear that caught me completely offguard was when I was snorkling off the coast of Australia and New Zealand. When I couldn't see the boat, other people or land I started to freak out. So, it mainly happened when I was completely underwater. I always felt like there was something very large swimming up behind me. I don't think it helped that there was a lot of discussion regarding whale sharks prior to starting this or that my Aussie cousin had talked about shark attacks. I know whale sharks are essentially harmless, but the sheer size of them scares me.
  • leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I do have a completely rational fear of yellow jackets (wasps, not actually jackets that are yellow). A couple years ago when camping, I got stung on my toungue when one crawled into my Coke can!

We spent part of the next day at the lake, but there were so many yellow jackets everywhere that I started freaking out and said, "Let's get out of here!"
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_fears?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:dc4626c1-2b75-4e09-ae7f-36394568566cPost:9eff833f-2b18-432f-94c5-2229a423a909">Re: Fears</a>:
    [QUOTE]Scared of bunnies, seriously. Not too fond of clowns, bees or christopher walken either.
    Posted by Button5807[/QUOTE]

Bunnies? really?  I mean I guess some are pretty creepy... especially whtie ones.. any idea where this fear came from?

and the second I read christopher walken I spit pepsi out of my nose... 
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am terrified of frogs... no idea why but the second I hear or see one I freeze... they are like little camo ninjas ready to jump out at any second.

I also have an extreme phobia of bridges.  Cannot drive over them and if I am a passenger I hyperventilate and am generally sick afterwards.  The second I see one I automatically think it's either going to collapse or the car I am in is going to drive off the edge.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • edited December 2011
    Doctor's and hospitals freak me out. I have to get my galbladder taken put but I am terrified of doing this. The idea of going to the hospital and them putting needles in my arms and putting an air mask on my face freaks me out. I am actually shaking over the thought of it. I joke around and tell BF that I am going to take a sleeping pill before hand, he can carry me into the hospital and they can do all of this while I am asleep.

The idea of getting stuck some where scares me. If an elevator is taking too long I think that we are stuck and I think that I will never be able to get out of there again and I freak!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Tornadoes.....I freak the F out when they put up warnings or watches....like pack my bags head to the basement with provisions.   I used to have a bag ready at all times during the summer months when I was a kid.  Interesting fact, I have never been in or even seen a tornado.

Forest fires.......I was in one as a child and it scares the bejesus out of me...I'm the girl that will step on cigarette butts just to make sure it doesn't spread.

The grates on the bottom of the pool/water I can't see the bottom of.....oooooo this is a big one for me.  I can't deal, I start having panic attacks.  That is why I like swimming in Greece so much...the water is always clear!

I really can't handle being in crowds.  County fairs or music festivals are my worst nightmare.  My chest got tight and my heart started to race just thinking about it!  Can't handle it.  

Mold.  I hate it.  I won't tough anything with it.  I won't go near something if the expiration date is passed even if it looks 'fine.'  Nope, won't do it!

Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards