Florida-North Florida

Recommendations for Pensacola?

Does anyone have any recommendations for Pensacola?

Looking for pretty much everything - photographer, caterer, DJ, florist, bakery

Re: Recommendations for Pensacola?

• grimes_kgrimes_k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am trying to plan a wedding in Pensacola as well! Have you picked where you are actually going to get married? I was wanting to do it on the beach but I do want to spend a fortune on the wedding rentals. Let me know if you find anything good/ or good ideas
  • lifeizbeachylifeizbeachy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah more Pensacola Brides!!!

I have been doing a lot of research, and talking to tons of people in the area. I have lived here my whole life and have been to several weddings. My challenge is wanting to do something different from what I have seen before. Well, that's my rep, I'm the "CRAZY one!" So people will expect something unique or super cool.

I have been to several venues and so far have just narrowed down what I don't want. LOL Their are several great places to get married and several great wedding professionals around.

I have a list of photographers, DJ's, florist etc... who I want to talk to when I am ready. (I am still deciding on location, first things first) Do you guys have your locations picked?

I make notes when I run across feedback anywhere. Lots of the venues will tell you about who they like to work with and why. I also have a few that I have experienced from friends weddings I have been to.  

Are you guys local or planning a destination wedding? I'd be glad to pass on what I have learned so far, and I can send pictures if you are considering somewhere I have been or might still go look at. I can't imagine planning a wedding long distance!! Lots of people do it though.

Can you tell I am excited to have more P'cola brides here. LOL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to say, my name is Gina.

Here are people I know I am using:

Bakery ~ The Cake Shop   Hands down no one does wedding cakes this beautiful and tasty! To die for and worth every penny. It's where all the locals go!

Photography ~ I have it narrowed down to 3, but have not talked to them yet, they have been highly recommended and I love their sites and photo blogs.

Vue Photography
    Paul Johnson Photography
    Courtney Craver Photography

DJ/MC This is a tough one, fi and I are highly critical since we have seen some really really bad DJ's at weddings in this town. OMG! I saw one at David's Bridal when they di a Brides night out. I really just liked him and his wife. They just seem to love what they do and you get both of them working at your reception. He performs and she is kind of like a liason between him and the rest of the vendors.

They are First Day Entertainment. I also heard good things from a few of the locations we have looked at about A DJ TO GO and A DJ AND MORE. Both of these names came up often in a positive way. Again I haven't met with them yet but they are on my list!

Florists, I am way confused! From one person I will here raves and the next will have major complaints about the same florist. I plan to do more research when I am ready to look at hiring, and I will post anything new I hear. I am almost considering doing it myself. Someone told me about a big fresh flower market downtown. I want simple styled bouquets anyways so I will let you know about that when I get over there.  

Caterers ~ The one I was thinking of went out of business!  One of the locations I am considering is a restaurant so it may not be an issue. What kind of food are you looking for?

Grimes The only thing I have heard of as far as rental companies is who Not to use. I just had 2 people have bad experiences with the same company, so I don't have any recs there.

• grimes_kgrimes_k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey,

My name is Katie Grimes and I am doing a destination wedding.  I want to just do a the cermony on the beach and I want to find the cheapest (with it still looking good) way to get chairs and the bamboo set up on the beach. My dad has a bunch of points to marriotts so I want to do the wedding near the Marriott at the beach there.  I am planning on coming there this June to talk to people to try and  figure out who I am going to use.

I was thinking about doing a cocktail reception afterwards... I have to pay for the wedding myself so I don't want to have a full reception afterwards.

So any ideas on that stuff would be great... I am not one of those brides that lives to plan a wedding... I get overwhelmed just looking at stuff... LOL
  • jodipplsjodippls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies, I was married in Pensacola back in November. 

I used The Cake Shop on 9 Mile Rd and they were great.  The wedding cake and the groom's cake were both amazing and tasted great.  We got lots of compliments on both of them.

Our ceremony and reception were both at Tiger Point Golf Club in Gulf Breeze.  It was really easy working with them.  They have packages for pretty much any budget and amount of guests. 

Our DJ was DJ Maxx, I think he works at Seville as a DJ sometimes.  Originally we booked TK Tom but something came up and he sent Maxx as a replacement.  Maxx actually worked out really well since he was a little more familiar with our music tastes.  I don't have his contact info directly but you can email TK Tom at tktom(at)yahoo and he can forward your info on.

I didn't use a florist but I did meet with Kabloom (9 Mi Rd) and the flower shop next to The Bridal Shop (also 9 Mi Rd).  I didn't want floral centerpieces so I decided to DIY my bouquets.

My main photographer was a family friend from Atlanta but she did have a friend of hers from Destin come to help.  Her friend is Paula Doolin and I can get her contact info if anyone is interested.  She was really great to work with and her pics are great too.

If anyone has any questions let me know!  Happy planning!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Katie!

I have a very wonderful officiant that I have seen do several of my friends weddings. He does a lot of beach weddings. I think he might be a good place for you to start. He can point you in the right direction since he has done so many weddings in this area. I am sure he knows everyone!  If you are wanting a religious ceremony, I believe he has someone else he works with, but I find his ceremonies, touching and very spiritual without being religious.

The Best Officiant Ever!
    E.J Campfield
    www.nonreligiousweddings.com
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jodi ~ Where did you get your flowers? Someone told me about a flower wholesaler downtown. I have to go find it because they saw the sign on a big building but they can't remember the name or which street just that they saw it on their way to Mcguire's and it was "Something" Flower Wholesales" LOL
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's my photog from Destin's contact info if anyone needs it.  Her name is Paula Doolin and her email is strawbarryblond(at)hotmail(dot)com.  She was really great to work with. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_recommendations-pensacola?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:70Discussion:bc44ea91-d9e4-4ce2-88a9-cf93dce04ea4Post:c0db8164-0265-4496-a246-5e6d3dd7001e">Re: Recommendations for Pensacola?</a>:
    [QUOTE]jodi ~ Where did you get your flowers? Someone told me about a flower wholesaler downtown. I have to go find it because they saw the sign on a big building but they can't remember the name or which street just that they saw it on their way to Mcguire's and it was "Something" Flower Wholesales" LOL
    Posted by lifeizbeachy[/QUOTE]

I actually used artificial flowers.  I bought a premade calla lily bouquet from Hobby Lobby when they were on sale and wrapped the stems in ribbon.  I used black and blue gerber daisies from Michaels for my girls bouquets.  They were the only flowers I had since the guys wore pocket squares.  I considered getting flowers from Publix to make my own bouquets.  You might want to look into that.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from P'Cola and have been to a few weddings there. Here's a few thoughts, check out Big Sexy Foods, they used to be just catering but have opened a nice place down off of Palafox. Soiree is also off Palafox, it has some character. Both seem to be quality, but cost efficient. I've heard Soiree will let you supply the liquour and pay something like $100 for a bartender.

Good luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oooh good to know I heard Big Sexy closed. I heard Jack (the head chef and half owner)  left and they fell apart.
  • alexisharrellalexisharrell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!  This is all really helpful!

Yeah, I heard from another girl about big sexy food, but doesn't look like they're available anymore.  I've pretty much been blindly searching on the internet from Dallas, so I definitely need some recs!  I'm looking for a menu with maybe some sort of meat (beef tenderloin), maybe some kind of chicken or chicken skewers, and maybe a bit of seafood, like shrimp or crab dip or something.  Soiree was one I saw online so maybe I'll check them out and another that caught my eye was A gourmet occasion.  Have any of y'all heard of that one?  Their menu sounds good but I haven't called them yet.

I'm doing the ceremony and reception at a beach house on Ariola drive.  I just found it doing a search with vrbo.com  They are pretty expensive but there's some cool ones out there and they're less expensive if you're ok with doing it across the street from the beach instead of right on the beach.

I think I'm pretty much sold on the rental place - Kents special Events - they've been recommended by like 3 different people so far.  They offer pretty much everything and their prices seem reasonable, so now I just gotta decide what I want!  I did just hear you need a permit to put up a tent on the beach which I'm sure some of you have found out as well.  Oh, and they rent bamboo archs too for only $60 but if you want it decorated, it gets expensive.

That makes 3 recs for The Cake shop, so it must be good!  I'll have to check it out but was just thinking it'd be pretty expensive.  Someone also suggested just getting cake from Sam's or Publix but I don't know anything about either yet, so if any of y'all would agree with that (or not), let me know!

Thanks Gina for the officiant info!  I will definitely contact him!  I didn't have a clue where to find an officiant!  I'll also try that DJ and those photographers too

Florist - you got me too!  I've heard Celebration the florist from someone else but I haven't contacted them yet.  I'm worried they're gonna be crazy expensive.  Jodi, if you think Publix has a decent flower selection, I'll definitely look into that!  I really don't want to spend much on my flowers!  I was thinking maybe a calla lily bouquet for me and then single calla lilies for my girls.  I honestly don't know much about flowers - just that they can be expensive  ; )

If anyone has any other suggestions on wedding archs too, let me know.  I've herad of some girls buying one at a hobby store or something then decorating it or having a florist decorate it.  I've no idea how much that ends up running though.

Thanks again to all of you!

Alexis
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alexis,

Publix does very good cakes. They are not to die for gourmet yummy, but still very good. They are just as beautiful as many of the bakeries, as far as looks go.

For flowers as simple as you are thinking I think Publix will be fine too. I have heard good things about Celebrations flowers but I know on two occasions they were late so I'd order them earlier then needed. I think because they are good they are popular and maybe too busy to handle there business. That was last summer so maybe they are better now. I have seen some beautiful flowers at Publix though.

I am thinking I want to save my money on flowers and spend it on good food or good entertainment.

Hey one of the locations we are considering is Angus, which is an awesome steakhouse. I just saw on their website that they cater as well as in-house. I also had a new suggestion today for for Classic City Catering.

Happy Planning Ladies!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A question for jodi and another recommendation  : D

jodi how was the food at Tiger Point, I have heard that Patricia is great to work with. What did you guys eat???  

No one has asked yet but Sheryl Schwartz (sp?)  at Trend Salon is wonderful for make up and I don't know who did the hair from their but the last wedding I went to the girls all looked fabulous and it held up on what turned out to be a very humid day at the beach. I know Sheryl did the makeup so I sure she knows who is good with hair. Trend is an excellent salon/spa.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI-  my latest discovery of the day....

I was just looking at Sams Club Bulk flowers,
    150 mini calla lilies $162.
    35 full size Callas $58.

They have all sorts but I know thats what Alexis was wanting. They have a decent selection, worth looking at.

What have you ladies been looking at anything new?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oooh, that sounds good!  I'm actually google-ing flower pics to see what they all look like. that's how little I know about flowers ; )  I just called and asked Sam's about cakes but they said they only have single tier round cakes you could like put up on a stand.  Only like $15!  but I'd really like at least 2 Tiers.  I'm gonna call Publix bakery tomorrow and while I'm at it I'll ask them about their flowers.

I booked my photographer today.  She's coming from AL and sounds really nice. I  don't really know her but she was highly recommended from a friend of a friend.
    http://www.sanddollarphotography.net

Oh, and thanks for the makeup info!  I hadn't even though of that yet!

• AK_SueAK_Sue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alexis,
    Sounds like you r making lots of checks!  Any luck on the caterer or DJ?
    Beachy,
    I think the flower wholesaler u r looking 4 is Halls.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-north-florida_recommendations-pensacola?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:70Discussion:bc44ea91-d9e4-4ce2-88a9-cf93dce04ea4Post:1ad05a94-0cc2-4a0b-adb3-f0fd663d0de5">Re: Recommendations for Pensacola?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A question for jodi and another recommendation  : D jodi how was the food at Tiger Point, I have heard that Patricia is great to work with. What did you guys eat??? [/QUOTE]

The food at Tiger Point was really good.  We got lots of compliments on it.  We had a plated dinner with choice of pecan crusted chicken breast with a veggie medley and potatoes or shrimp key west (skeward shirmp with cilantro and citrus flavors) with rice pilaf and veggies.  We also had assorted rolls and cesear salad.  

I didn't think to mention hair and makeup before but I used The Edge Salon and Ink for both.  The girls that work there are independant and rent a space.  I used Mandy for makeup, she was referred to me by a previous knottie.  She does airbrush (what I did) and cosmetic makeup.  She also does waxing (I used her for brows and a bikini wax) and other stuff.  I used Cathy for my hair.  I have really short hair and she was still able to give me an awesome look. I think it was $50 for my hair and $110 for my makeup including the trial.  You can contact the salon to get contact info for Mandy and Cathy <a href="http://www.edgesalonink.com/">http://www.edgesalonink.com/</a>.

I did look into using Sam's for flowers but since I only needed bouquets I didn't want to buy 100 callas.  As for Publix, the cakes I've had from them were all very good. 

• edited December 2011
    What about hair/Makeup...does anyone have hair/makeup suggestions in the Pensacola/Destin/Panama City area? (We are getting married in Rosemay Beach...so anywhere around there).

THanks!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi there!

My g/f used Ed First Day Entertainment it used to be called A DJ and More so they are one in the same. He changed his company name because they only do weddings. He is awesome.

The Cake Shop is good, my sister used betty Webber shes good to both are popular.

Officiant - EJ Campfield did my sisters wedding, I loved his ceremony! Sweet without being cheesy!
  • edited December 2011
    Too bad about Big Sexy they were the best! Bummer!!! Lots of the best restaurants in town have closed lately!!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Publix was more expensive than I thought - $110 for 37 servings - $227 for 75
    So, we'll probably go with the Cake shop after all seem their prices are pretty good compared to the others and supposed to be very good $3-$5 a serving, 40 for smallest serving

I hired a DJ too, - DJ Hibrid who I found on the knot

So, next is still caterer and minister, put out a few calls and emails and waiting to hear back.  The minister fees are more expensive than I thought they were going to be.  $300 and up, I was hoping to find one for less since we're just having a such a short, small, simple ceremony - was thinking $100-200 but haven't found that yet.  Also still looking for florist and an wedding arch - someone told to to try Ace rentals for the arch so going to call them on Monday
  • edited December 2011
    Alexis, is DJ Hibrid an individual or will they send out a dj locally. I imagine hiring a dj from Atlanta must be pricey?

I am suprised to hear Publix is more then The Cake Shop, because they are soooo much better. You'll be very happy with them my Mom gets cakes from them for our families special occasions, The owner and her daughters are so helpful and sweet!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJ Hibrid is an individual.  Actually, even with his travel fees, he's comparable to the other local dj's I called.  I don't think he's gonna do a whole lot of extra's like First Day offers, but if you just want your basic dj services , I thought the price was good.  He also responds to emails pretty quickly.

Yeah, I think I'm sold on Cake shop!  Caterer research continues...
  • edited December 2011
    Big Sexy was the best, but Classic City is really good too.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi ladies!  I live in GB but am having my wedding in Destin.  It is much more budget friendly for me to work w/ pensacola vendors than the destin vendors that charge an arm and a leg!! 

I've also heard wonderful things about the cake shoppe!  I can't remember whether it was them who did a friends cupcakes for a wedding (I"m pretty sure they did) and those were delicious!

Kents is amazing.  I think they have great rentals for really resonable prices.  We might need to rent a tent as a back up if it looks like it might rain, and their prices are a lot less than other places!  Ditto on the getting the bamboo arch for $60.  We might do that, but I'm trying to see if I can DIY for less.

I've met w/ Classic City Catering and while I've heard good reviews and the guy was nice, their internet is down and very disorganized.  They said that they would have to snail mail me a packet of info w/ sample menu and pricing etc and they never got around to it, even after I called them up and reminded them.

As for Big Sexy, yes one of the partners left the business.  I used to work w/ one of the wives and for the parents of one of the owners...  I know that they were trying to keep it going, but I don't really know where they stand now.

We are going with Nancy's Haute Affairs.  They are the same people who had Skopolos so we know they are talented.  It is different food, but the same quality.  They have a cute shop on Scenic w/ a deli where you can check stuff out.  Oh, they also do rentals through Kents!

There is a LOT of photography to sift through.  And I think it really depends on your style and budget for good reviews.  I'm using Meg Baisden Photography and am very happy with them!
    I did meet with East Hill Photography and while I do think his photography is beautiful, he didn't really listen to what I wanted so I had to keep searching.  I felt that he completely ignored what I was saying and wanted to just follow me around and take pics of only me...not really what I'm going for!  I've also read reviews of him taking FOREVER to get pictures from.  However, he does have nice stuff.

If anyone finds the name and address of that wholesale flowers place please post it!  We're DIYing the flowers so it would be nice to see whats out there!!

I hope this helps someone!  Happy planning!

• edited December 2011
    I am going to be downtown tommorrow, I will see if I can find the Wholesale flowers. I have to hit Ever'mans anyways.
  • edited December 2011
    I was in Hobby Lobby not too long ago and I believe that you can rent arches from them. There is also an Ace Rental place on Olive Road that rents arches.
  • alicialaurenaalicialaurena member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also google wholesale flowers.  I found a bunch of sites that do wholesale flowers for cheap! Like $1.00 a stem. Thats cheaper than silk!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The dj we want is offering a nice discount for local brides but it ends 02/04. Dare I book the dj before the location?   It would save us a nice chunk of change.

hmmmn.....
     ....da*m them. lol I am so tempted.  I may just call them and see what they say. Cool
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards