Flowers

Lily Bouquet Question

My FI has given me stargazer lilies since we've been together & I would love to use them in the wedding, but our budget is pretty tight.  Have considered having my bridal bouquet being stargazer lilies(& that be the only place we use them) & other flowers & having the BM bouquets being whatever the other flowers in my bouquet are.  Only problem is that I'm having trouble finding pics of lily bouquets & I don't have a clue about what other flowers would go well w/ the lilies & keep our budget on track.  My gown is ivory & the BM dresses are black.  Color scheme is black, ivory, & purple & we are getting married in the spring.

Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!

Re: Lily Bouquet Question

• edited December 2011
    hmmm, here's an option have your bouquet with white roses in it also, then just give the girls a single white rose each.  I was going to do this, but FMIL offered to pay for the bouquets & wanted everyone to have more than just one flower & because its her money I figured better not to fight her.
    ~yovey~ BabyName Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you use all stargazers for your bouquet, you won't really need very many. 

Or you can just add 2-3 stems of stargazers to a simple bouquet of roses, or some other simple flowers, like maybe alstromerias (also called Peruvian lilies).  Or you could use the alstromerias as filler to make the roses and stargazers go further.

Actually, that might be preferable, because stargazers are VERY aromatic, and the scent can be overpowering, and trigger allergies.

The alstromerias are very affordable, pretty, come in a variety of colors, easy to get year round, and last very well.  They come in a cluster of blooms on one stem, so you don't need a whole lot of them. 

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stargazer lillies are just lovely........ they are my female boss's favorite flower, and her husband orders them often during the year, making the office smell fabulous!

An option would be to buy them in bulk, online, and have the florist add them to your bouquet. At Costco.com (or Sam's club, I happen to have a Costco membership) or growersbox.com you can order them yourself, have delivered at least 5 days before the wedding so they open, and take them to the florist. They are priced by the stem, and each stem will have 2-4 blooms on it, as you probably know.

Grower's Box has an entire bouquet of stargazer lillies for $81 (might be overpowering scent wise). Their cost for 40 stems is $137.95. Costco's cost is $119.99 for 40 stems. They show them as "pink asiatic lillies". By buying in bulk like this, you can have the florist add them to all the bouquets and centerpieces for no additional "marked up" fee by the florist.

Not sure if you know this: Make sure to cut the orange pollen tip off any lillies so you don't end up with awful orange stains on anyone's clothing. It also makes the lillies last longer.

Good luck.
  • Lpetunia6Lpetunia6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i plan on using these lilies as well for my bouquet. our colors are baby blue, light green and white. My BM's dresses are blue so were using green orchids for their bouquets and will include some orchids in my bouquet as well. So orchids would probably do yours well also... since orchids come in many colors maybe you could use purple orchids for your BM's and  even in yours since purple is part of your color scheme. google lily and orchid wedding bouquet, you'll see what I mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards