April 2013 Weddings

wedding music

i was just wondering what everyone was doing for music, i have been looking at bands and dj's they are pretty dang pricey.. 
i have to make a decision by the time we make the next trip to Florida in December, so i can start interviewing people. its so hard doing wedding plans from seattle 
kinda worried :/

Re: wedding music

• Where in Florida are you getting married?
  • We're doing a DJ. It's more cost effective, but I also like it more. I get that bands can be awesome and classy, but every wedding I've been to, personally, that has a band, has less dancing. We want people on the floor as much as possible.
  • We hired an accoustic guitarist to play the ceremony. Since we are having such a small wedding, we are just going to have the restaurant's wedding piped into to our private room throughout dinner.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're probably just doing iPod music. I don't think it'll be a problem since we're not having dancing, just cocktail hour and dinner.
  • Dj here-- we went with my local boards favorite, we met with him and booked him right on the spot. He was very cost effective and we are getting his all invlusive package (ceremony, cocktail hour, reception, uplighting, custom entrance workand if he adds anything to his package thats new through out the year we also get that etc) for about $975
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We are doing a DJ. On my local board we have a sticky for vendor reviews. I went through each review and wrote down every DJ and then did some research. They ranged from $300-$5000+ which blew my mind! We found one that had great recommendations from my area and other areas around me for $700 - it is a couple that own their own business. So far I am certain we made the best choice!

As for ceremony music we have not even thought about that yet...

• In NC, I found DJs that ranged from $400-$1200 for the type of service we want:  Four hours of music and maybe some light show effects.  We went with the $400 DJ b/c he is local, so he doesn't charge a travel fee, he does this on the side because he has a M-F job, and he included a light show in his fee.  I was a bit skeptical but he actually has videos on his facebook page of the light show, music, etc.  He came highly recommended by my photographer, who hasn't steered me wrong yet :-)

For ceremony and cocktail hour music, my high school band teacher agreed to play as my wedding gift, and we hired a keyboardist to accompany him for $325.  This is less than what he typically charges, and it includes a travel fee.  They're both incredibly accomplished musicians and teachers so we got a pretty good dang deal with that one :-)

Does anyone know which songs they're using for the ceremony?  I've got our processionals picked out but I'm having a tough time with a recessional.  I want to do something fun and so does FI but we haven't found the right one yet.  I looked at TK's recommendations and they all fell flat :-/
  • DJ.  And it is damn expensive.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_wedding-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:6ceade21-3c63-4c44-bdb6-9b73ab2209d4Post:bf3f6694-4be2-4572-b129-ae0c647c5f86">Re: wedding music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know which songs they're using for the ceremony?  I've got our processionals picked out but I'm having a tough time with a recessional.  I want to do something fun and so does FI but we haven't found the right one yet.  I looked at TK's recommendations and they all fell flat :-/
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

I'm doing Canon n D and the traditional Bridal March for our processional. And The Beatles Here Comes the Sun for the recessional. (All of it is on accoustic guitar, no singing)

Some fun songs I thought of for the recessional were:
    Journey, Don't Stop Believing
    The Cure- Just Like Heaven
    A lot of Beatles songs
    Happy Together- The Turtles
    September- Earth, Wind and Fire
    I'm a Believer- The Monkeys or Smashmouth
    Signed, Sealed Delivered- Stevie Wonder
    Everlasting Love

Those are just some I thought for us. Google too- there are lots of good ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yea, we're doing Prelude in C(Bach) for the parents processional then Canon for the bridesmaids and I.  I've googled my heart out on recessional songs.  I liked your choice but apparently FI hates the Beatles....le sigh.  The closest we've come to agreeing on is Signed, Sealed, Delivered(my pick) and the Star Wars theme song(his pick, which was shot down by the musicians, lol).  Ughhh...
  • We're also planning from far away (Chicago to Georgia) so I feel your pain! 

We went with one of those companies where you pick the package and just show up.  A ceremony musician is included in that package, so I don't have to worry about it.

We're doing a morning wedding and a luncheon afterwards.   No huge, traditional wedding reception.  It's only immediate family anyway, and none of them really like to dance, so we're just going with an iPod for music during lunch.  I doubt if many people will stick around after lunch and cake anyway so I'm just going to let the iPod play until everyone is gone.  If they want to dance, they're more than welcome to do so, but I highly doubt they will.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • We got a DJ /Karoke but not sure if we are going to use the karoke part of it. The guy is a friend of my moms so we got him extra cheap :) oh teh joys of having connections
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We've got a DJ lined up. His fee is $395 for 3 hrs with each addtl hour priced at $75. I think we are planning on about 5 hours to cover cocktail hour thru the last dance. If booking with him as DJ, he will do the ceremony music for $150. I think we're going to get a string duo or something - not sure yet on that. Our DJ also does uplighting and a photo booth - neither of which we are getting from him. We got a better deal on uplighting with a different vendor, and altho I would LOVE a photo booth, this guy is expensive - $600 for 2 hours!

I have no idea what we're doing for ceremony music. I haven't really looked into it. I don't want anything super traditional, and I want a fun song for the recessional. Not sure yet.

Anyone who gets a DJ tho...definitely don't be shy about giving them a list of songs that you want and do not want to be played! We gave a short list to our DJ when we first met, and I'll be sending another list shortly. There are some songs that are great to groove to in the car, but really don't work for the dance floor. And some songs that really are just not our style, but may be super popular. I'm not going to micromanage the list, but I don't want to be disappointed with the music played if I'm paying for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_wedding-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:6ceade21-3c63-4c44-bdb6-9b73ab2209d4Post:1cdb8522-f244-4d87-8a3b-c5e21e1d769d">Re: wedding music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea, we're doing Prelude in C(Bach) for the parents processional then Canon for the bridesmaids and I.  I've googled my heart out on recessional songs.  I liked your choice but apparently FI hates the Beatles....le sigh.  The closest we've come to agreeing on is Signed, Sealed, Delivered(my pick) and the Star Wars theme song(his pick, which was shot down by the musicians, lol).  Ughhh...
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

<div>We're walking into our reception to "signed, sealed, delivered!" It's our grand entrance, and I may or may not practice it while he plays the song on the computer :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards