Attire & Accessories Forum

Soldering rings before the wedding?

Just wondering how many people solder their rings before the wedding....

Re: Soldering rings before the wedding?

• I often go leaks my dress, but haven't show my other things.

• Make sure you want this done - be 100% - even 1000% positive.  My 1st marriage I had my rings soddered and hated it.  It drove me crazy - within 6 months I had them pulled back apart.  There are times where I wanted to wear my band alone and couldn't.  Guess I'm weird - I hate the look of soddered rings. 
    Created by Wedding Favors
  • breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I am doing it after the wedding, not before. My engagement ring has diamonds halfway around. The bottom is COMPLETELY scratched. It's really bad. My wedding band is plain white gold. If it's not soldered to my e-ring it will get scratched all around. I'm not crazy about that idea. I'm soldering them together to keep the scratches to the bottom of the ring only. I also don't anticipate ever wearing them separately so I don't care about that. I bought a cheap $5 titanium ring from amazon that I can wear as a wedding band if I don't want to wear my diamonds.

People get their rings soldered because rings are not made to be worn together. They will slowly but surely wear into each other and destroy each other. Especially if your wedding band has pave set or shared prong diamonds. The diamonds will rub against the e-ring setting and destroy it.

ETA: here's a link with more information about how rings wear. Even rings that are made to sit flush will still do this over time. http://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=7

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_soldering-rings-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:395c0696-d4b6-4944-afea-be3c81144ac5Post:2ef14505-bff6-4af4-b448-5b5fef936150">Re: Soldering rings before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My jeweler recommended against it so I'm not going to.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    This.  And I too hate the look of soldered rings, I think it makes them look cheap.  Regarding scratching, rings need to be maintained on a regular basis.  Have the prongs checked, have them cleaned, have them polished.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_soldering-rings-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:395c0696-d4b6-4944-afea-be3c81144ac5Post:0e64a30d-ca2c-483b-96eb-32e34e5ba3e2">Re: Soldering rings before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Soldering rings before the wedding? : This.  And I too hate the look of soldered rings, I think it makes them look cheap.  Regarding scratching, rings need to be maintained on a regular basis.  Have the prongs checked, have them cleaned, have them polished.
    Posted by kkellygrosz[/QUOTE]

<div>How do you think it makes them look cheap? FI's moms rings are soldered and I didn't know until she showed me. All it does is keep them together.</div><div>
    </div><div>You're right about rings needing to be maintained, but even after dropping mine off for the "spa treatment" the bottom is still dulled from the scratches. It will never get that shine back that it once had. I also don't want the wedding band to rub against the head of my ring and ruin it. My mom's ring did that and she didn't notice it (she also didn't get it checked for almost 10 years) and the diamond fell out. Luckily she found it, but it cost $150 to get the head replaced.</div>
  • I am because I have 3 rings (solitaire and 2 thin diamond bands on either side) and I don't want them all spinning independently of each other...I'd be constantly fiddling with them.  And I highly disagree with it looking cheap, most of the time, you can't even tell it's been done at all, it just keeps the rings together and aligned how they should be.

I'm having my e-ring polished and possibly re-dipped before soldering them.  I'm getting it done before the wedding so that for one, they are done and ready to go because we are leaving for our HM the following day and two, because I'd rather be without my e-ring before I'm married than to be without all of my rings after I'm married.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_soldering-rings-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:395c0696-d4b6-4944-afea-be3c81144ac5Post:28343e70-18cd-4492-b02d-1c8205ba5fab">Re: Soldering rings before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am because I have 3 rings (solitaire and 2 thin diamond bands on either side) and I don't want them all spinning independently of each other...I'd be constantly fiddling with them.  And I highly disagree with it looking cheap, most of the time, you can't even tell it's been done at all, it just keeps the rings together and aligned how they should be. I'm having my e-ring polished and possibly re-dipped before soldering them.  I'm getting it done before the wedding so that for one, they are done and ready to go because we are leaving for our HM the following day and two, because <strong>I'd rather be without my e-ring before I'm married than to be without all of my rings after I'm married.</strong>
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

<div>Same here, but FI didn't want me to have it soldered before the wedding because then I'd either have to be ringless or wear the wedding ring before we're married. He thinks that I can wait until we get back.</div>
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

I think you need a "not soldering at all answer, like some of the pps.

I don't care for the look at all and there are certain times when I don't wear my ering and wear only the wedding band.  Even at night, e-ring goes on ring holder.  Wedding band stays on all the time.

• I am getting mine soldered together before the wedding. My band is an enhancer band, so it needs to be soldered together...
  • I am having my soldered after the wedding.  My jewler recomended it because both of my rings have milgrain edging and if I don't solder them, they would rub each other and ruin the edging.
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge:Favorite Snack
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_soldering-rings-before-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:395c0696-d4b6-4944-afea-be3c81144ac5Post:677f2ef5-5ac2-4f4a-b2d7-25c02f9b33a8">Re: Soldering rings before the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Soldering rings before the wedding? : <strong>How do you think it makes them look cheap?</strong> FI's moms rings are soldered and I didn't know until she showed me. All it does is keep them together. You're right about rings needing to be maintained, but even after dropping mine off for the "spa treatment" the bottom is still dulled from the scratches. It will never get that shine back that it once had. I also don't want the wedding band to rub against the head of my ring and ruin it. My mom's ring did that and she didn't notice it (she also didn't get it checked for almost 10 years) and the diamond fell out. Luckily she found it, but it cost $150 to get the head replaced.
    Posted by breaness[/QUOTE]
    Just my opinion.  To each their own.
  • My band is a wrap so it would look weird without the e-ring, and because of that I am soldering them before the wedding. The wrap is curved to fit my e-ring, so I know that if either of the rings shift and they don't line up, it is going to drive me crazy. 

But if I were in a situation where I would be able to wear them separately, I don't think I would get them soldered right away. 
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I will get mine done. I was planning on doing it after the wedding. I won't take my real ring on our honeymoon and figured it would be the perfect time to have it worked on!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards