Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Two dads for father/daughter dance?

I would like to do two dances- one with each but I'm not sure who would dance with me first. They are both walking me down the aisle. Also I don't know what a good song for my dance with my stepdad would be? I am very close with him however my bio dad gets kinda jealous.

Re: Two dads for father/daughter dance?

• Options
    If bio dad truly gets jealous, I'd discuss the decision with him. Ask if he'd prefer to dance with you first or second. And I'd personally ask each of them for input on songs. My dad heard Stevie Wonder's Isn't She Lovely come on the radio when he brought me home from the hospital after I was born. It's not exactly either of our typical styles of listening preference... But there was never an alternative song brought up because of the sentimentality of it all.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_two-dads-for-fatherdaughter-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d73b1bf3-9d73-42bc-8ae2-aed8db01aa5ePost:823cf37f-195a-4019-b147-fca31dbc9c89">Two dads for father/daughter dance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to do two dances- one with each but I'm not sure who would dance with me first. They are both walking me down the aisle. Also I don't know what a good song for my dance with my stepdad would be? I am very close with him however my bio dad gets kinda jealous.
    Posted by poplocknndropit[/QUOTE]
    I'd have your bio dad dance with you first. If he makes a comment, either ignore it or tell him to get a grip lol.

Ask your stepdad for suggestions, first. Or your mom, even.
    If all else fails, we can all try to help you come up with some ideas. What kind of music does he like?
  • Options
    No jealousy issues with my two dads, but I'll throw it out there anyway.  Both dads walked me down the aisle (one on each arm).  Neither one gave a speech.  Spotlight dance was with my bio-dad, but I danced with my stepdad and my FIL at some point in the night as well. 

I considered having them split the spotlight dance, so that is an option for you as well. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FWIW...I am dancing with my stepdad first, because he raised me. He picked "Through The Years" because he's a huge Kenny Rogers fan. I haven't talked to my bio dad about it yet.
  • Options
    Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    This is a tough situation! I am having my stepdad walk me down the aisle dance w me first. He raised me, while my biodad came in to my life once every 3 yrs, and then left again for another 3 yrs. Lately we have been talking seeing each other he lives only an hr and a half away I know he really wants to do a dance. When he asked me about it, I didn't even know what to say. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a spotlight dance w him as well, or just dance w him sometime during the night. I don't really even expect him to be around then, but ya never know. As far as songs for your stepdad, I couldn't figure ours out either. What kind of music does he like? My stepdad loves classic rock, so we are dancing to Fleetwood Mac "Landslide". It makes me cry every time I hear it. I talked to him about it and he loved it! I would say just talk to him and see what he thinks! ETA: sorry about format lack of punctuation. Posting from iPhone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can also skip the "spotlight" part.  Dance with your husband, and then get the party going.  Ask the band/dj to cue up 2 "dad" songs during the evening, find each dude, and dance with him then.
  • Options
    I had a similar situation when I got married years back. I had both walk me down the aisle, and then I danced with my bio-dad (to "You are so Beautiful" - has meaning from my childhood) and then danced with my step-dad (to Brad Paisley's "He didn't have to be" - great song about a great guy who comes into your life and treats you like his own when he didn't have to)
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    I split a dance with both instead of having two songs.  I danced with my dad before my stepdad.

• Options
    I also have a bio dad and step-dad, and I'm actually having them share the dance/splitting it for the sake of time.  When we were talking about doing two separate dances, however, bio dad was first (as he brought me into this world), and stepdad was second (as he took over for my dad later on).  I'm really looking forward to walking down the aisle with both of them :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards