Honeymoon Discussions

Suggestions for good honeymoon spots/cities in the midwest for may?

FI and I finally decided on our wedding date, and our now trying to come up with some ideas for a honeymoon. He mentioned a roadtrip to somewhere like New Orleans...that would be fine...but not sure that we have the time or money to do that right now.  We live in Illinois, and I was looking for some ideas in the Midwest.  Anyone know of something kind of historical? He's a big history buff...that's all fine by me, but also want to find some other fun things to do.  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Suggestions for good honeymoon spots/cities in the midwest for may?

• -Chicago
    -Door County, WI
    -Mackinaw Island
    -Galena
    -Lake Geneva
    -Harbor Country, MI
    -Milwaukee

a mix/combo of any of the above
  • Ditto PP.
    I would add Starved Rock and New Buffalo.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are Louisville and Memphis too far for you?  I've also heard a lot of good things about Inianapolis.  If you are getting married in warm weather months, Put-In-Bay in Ohio would be good.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Hmm...Memphis might be interesting. Thanks everyone for the ideas.  Galena and Starved Rock are great...but too close to home for me to consider it to be a "special" getaway. I only live about an hour from Galena.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would add Duluth, MN to the list, especially if you like fun outdoor things at all.  In May, it might still be a bit cool, but it shouldn't be too bad!  (though, it is MN, so you never know.)

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • If your fiance loves history, The Henry Ford (formerly Greenfield Village & Henry Ford Museum) in Dearborn Michigan is one of the coolest places around. They have a village of historic buildings moved there to form a village (Henry Ford's birthplace, Edison's lab, log cabin Lincoln used), then an indoor museum that houses just about everything you can imagine......the car Kennedy was riding in when he was shot, the Rosa Parks bus, the rocking chair Lincoln was in at Ford Theater when he was assassinated. Plus cars, cars, and more cars all the way back to the first model T. 

For the above, allow 2 days, one at the village, one in the museum. Then I'd drive up north to Mackinac Island, or stay in Mackinac City and take the ferry over to the island. The Grand Hotel is lovely (longest front porch in the world), but pricey. Maybe stay there one night. 

Dearborn is 5 hrs from Chicago, and from Dearborn up to Mackinac is about another 3-4 hrs. Michigan has no toll roads so no need for change, LOL. If you don't want to take the direct route up the middle of the state, you can drive along the "Circle Lake" tour along the eastern coast, or western coast (I'd recommend western coast). On the west coast there is Lake Michigan, Saugatuck is a really cute little town similar to New England, then you can go up to Traverse City, near Mackinac, and there are wine tours. 

The weather in May the past couple of years has been really lovely.  
  • Thanks for the ideas, everyone! Now time to do some research! =) Sue, I actually visited Traverse City and Mackinac Island a couple years ago with my family, and it was a great trip. However, I haven't been anywhere else in Michigan, and it sounds like that museum is worth looking into.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We live near Joliet IL and travel yearly to the Upper Pen of MI.  Lake Superior is beautiful and not costly!  Love the lighthouses and you can actually stay at one near Marquette!  Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What Sue said.
    And going to Mackinaw Island with your new husband is NOTHING like going there with family several years ago.
  • If you're still interested in New Orleans, Amtrak goes there. It's cheap, doesn't take too much time and deposits you right in the middle of the city just a couple of miles from the French Quarter -- whenever we go to New Orleans, we always take the train because it's so easy and cheap.

• Indianapolis
    Cleveland
    Memphis
    Nashville
    Gatlinberg TN
    Cincinnati
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards