Michigan-Detroit

Save The Date timing

Hi ladies!

We are discussing when to send out our save the dates and I am coming accross conflicting inforamtion. Some sources say to send them out a year (or more - basically once you get engaged) and other say near the 9 month mark. My concern is that our wedding, which is August 17th, 2013, is during the peak of wedding season and a lot of women I know are getting engaged. Our venue has been booked for a few months and I just want to make sure our friends and family can be there to share in our day. Is it okay to send out save the dates sooner rather then later?!

Help!

Re: Save The Date timing

• Honestly, I think you should send them out whenever YOU want to!  I sent them out just over 10 months in advance, which was "too early" according to most people.  But I was happy with my decision, and in my eyes, I'm such a planner so the earlier I recieve a save the date the better, bc the wedding date would go right onto my calendar and I would know not to plan anything else for that day.
    Anniversary
  • 3-8 months is recommended. Any sooner than that (1 year +) people throw them out or lose them and forget anyway. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Klyn1983Klyn1983 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    We are sending ours out a little after the one year mark. Like you, we want to be sure we give plenty of notice for not only our OOT guests but also the newly engaged people we know. 

ETA: 
    Another reason we are choosing to send them earlier than the 8-9 months is because a bunch of our guests are coming from OOT and June is a popular vacation month-we'd rather give extra notice than have someone plan a vacation and then get upset that we hadn't told them earlier. (Heck a few of my family members have already asked why they haven't gotten one yet!) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We sent ours at the 10 month mark and I wish I would have waited. Ive already heard from a few people that they lost them, and ours were magnets! If I had to do it over again, Id send them at the 6-7 month range.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • I agree that anything close to or over a year will be forgotten about over the course of that year.

I would do this: make a list of people who are very important to you and whose presence would be missed.  Enlist family and friends and call them to tell them the date.  Don't most of us, or our mom's/friends/family do that anyway when they're excited to let everyone know that you're getting married? That way, they can write it down or make note of it (kind of a verbal save-the-date).

Then send out a formal save-the-date closer to the six month mark.  It will just reinforce the date they already know.
  • I just sent mine out this weekend and my date is Nov. 10.  I think it depends on your guest list though.  If they're mostly out of towners, you might want to send it out more like 9-10 months out.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for the suggestions!

Because we have quite a large number of OOT guests I willl most likely send them out 12 months out. And AmyNoelle - you are right. I am pretty certain most of our closest friends and family will hear via word of mouth.

• For August the earliest I'd send them out is mid-January for a few reasons. 1) Earlier than that it may get lost in the holiday mail overload people seem to get. 2) People may lose it. 3) Though it's nice for OOT people to have a heads up, any earlier just gets crazy so tell people by word of mouth.

I understand you already have stuff booked and you're excited but guests will appreciate them more if you wait.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_save-the-date-timing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:d0235cca-cbfc-4034-8bb4-048abc10280ePost:1122cb9f-223a-4623-8905-9622f6f29ab4">Re: Save The Date timing</a>:
    [QUOTE]For August the earliest I'd send them out is mid-January for a few reasons. 1) Earlier than that it may get lost in the holiday mail overload people seem to get. 2) People may lose it. 3) Though it's nice for OOT people to have a heads up, any earlier just gets crazy so tell people by word of mouth. I understand you already have stuff booked and you're excited but guests will appreciate them more if you wait.
    Posted by MMRoberts11[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I know it's tempting, but really you should wait a bit.
    June 16, 2012
  • I would wait, for all the reasons everyone else said, but wanted to add another reason too... relationships change.  The people you plan to invite a year+ out might be a little different than who you would invite 8 months out.  Friendships can get closer or less close, but once you send those STDs, that person is invited no matter what.   I don't think August is as busy of a wedding month as you're thinking it is.
  • I agree, I think I would wait a bit. I am planning on sending mine out mid-October for June 2013. Its about 8 months ahead of time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think a year is to far in advance - it will get lost!!  We are sending ours next week and we just hit the 6 month mark.  We've been engaged for over a year and all of our friends/family have been buzzing about it anyway.  It's not like people who are important to you/the ceremony don't know about it!!  I'd say wait until 7-5 months before the big day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards