Military Brides

Any Navy (or really any other) brides

My fiancee decided not to reenlist in the Navy last year and is now a 'civilian'. All of his groomsmen (with the exception of his brother) are still/will still be in once we have our wedding. He does not want to do dress blues, and I was wondering if there were any good ways to incorporate that in our wedding. (Currently planing a rustic/vintage wedding, outdoors in an orchard)
Thanks for any suggestions!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Any Navy (or really any other) brides

• Hi and Welcome! I'm a Navy wife. 

What exactly do you want to incorporate? Something about the Navy? My H hates his uniforms, he would have never worn them for our wedding. 

• edited January 2012

I'd definitely would prefer it to be navy (my dad was a navy man as well), but if there was a good way to do miltary I am open to that as well. I am at a complete loss, but was thinking something along the lines of either general decor/centerpieces. Maybe something subtle?
    I was pondering the idea of a groom's cake in the shape of an anchor, or something along those lines.
    Yeah, he pretty much paled when I asked about his uniform when I asked him if he wanted to, haha.

• Hi and welcome! My FI is in the Navy.

Does your FI want the Navy incorporated into the wedding? Especially because he is now civilian? I know my FI absolutely does not want to wear his uniform, or really want our wedding to have anything to do with the Navy. It's his job.

I'm not really sure how you could incorporate, colors maybe?
  • Ditto Binx. Ask your FI if he even wants anything military  incorporated in the wedding. My H didn't so we didn't do anything. 

You can do colors, or cake like you said, or maybe favors
  • I think the only thing I would do is maybe the grooms cake and then offer to let the GMs choose between a tux or their uniforms. 
    IMO, he's not in anymore and it just seems silly to me to include a bunch of military or Navy related items if it has nothing to do with your life going forward.  I guess if you really want to include more, I would keep it simple.  Maybe you could include a few silver or gold anchor charms in your floral arrangements. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What about some nautical elements not strictly the Navy?
  • Maybe the boutonnieres can have some kind of charm or symbol on them that is Navy related?
  • If he doesn't want to do dress blues, does he want to do any uniform?  Does he want to include the military into his wedding, since he's getting out?

I'd say have a heart-to-heart and figure out how much he wants it to be a part of the wedding.  If he doesn't want it, I'd suggest just planning the wedding as if he was a civilian - have the groomsmen rent tuxes rather than wear their uniforms, or wear suits, or whatever.  If he does want it as part of the wedding, then he could wear a different uniform.

For our wedding, he'll be in USMC dress blues and we'll probably have an arch of swords - beyond that, the only thing we're doing is that we're having the USMC flag flying on the flagpole outside the venue.

Anniversary

• He said he would like it, he just doesn't want to wear his uniform (the man would go naked if it was allowed). He's very proud of his service, and I don't want to monopolize the day. I like the idea of charms in the floral arrangements. I hadn't thought of having the GMs pick, thats a good idea too. I was just drawing a complete blank at ideas.
    Thanks ladies. : )
  • I am not sure how much or what to add if he is no longer Navy.  H is Army and he wore his blues just because he didn't want to go out and pay extra money for a tux and neither did his groomsmen.  So  basically we had guys in uniforms and an arch and that was all of the "Army-ness" (if that is even a word) we had at our wedding. 

Good luck with planning and like some of the other ladies said perhaps just little hints of something in the flowers or the cake.  I would ask him first!
  • I've also seen people who do themed garters - I know there's some vendors on Etsy who do them!  You could surprise him with a Navy themed garter.

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_navy-really-other-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:fe56d79a-b20e-4a2b-95d2-11d93ca056e6Post:2c0e0a0c-21e5-4350-ba4e-97360e5f5431">Re: Any Navy (or really any other) brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about some nautical elements not strictly the Navy?
    Posted by Zimsgirl26[/QUOTE]
    This would be awesome too. I am stuck with the anchor image for some reason.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_navy-really-other-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:fe56d79a-b20e-4a2b-95d2-11d93ca056e6Post:e636f33d-37c3-4e5f-9cbc-6b2be1164ebe">Re: Any Navy (or really any other) brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've also seen people who do themed garters - I know there's some vendors on Etsy who do them!  You could surprise him with a Navy themed garter.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

OhEmGee. This. Is amazing, that would be perfect, he wouldn't be expecting it and since he'd be throwing to his GMs. Thank you!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards