South Dakota

Need some South Dakotian thoughts here

I was born in SD but have since moved in and lived in Cali for the last 15 years or so. Most of my family is still in SD but will be coming out for the wedding. There's some big cultural differences between my FI family and mine and some of the things they are wanting to do I don't think would be well received but its been so long since I've been back home I don't really have an idea of what is common around there anymore.

1. Has anybody heard of/seen a fake cake at a wedding before? It is all styrofoam with frosting decorations and a special compartment with real cake so you can still cut it. There are sheet cakes in the kitchen waiting to be served. I'd never heard of such a thing before I went to a wedding with FILs.

2. Not doing a registry at all. We pretty much have everything we need and prefer money to help with a downpayment and his mother is insisting to not have a registry at all so people won't buy us stuff. I'm saying that they will figure out we want cash if there's just a small registry and that I'm antipicating a lot of my SD relatives won't just hand out cash and were going to get gifts no matter what we do so we might as well register. I'm afraid she's wanting me to put "no boxed gifts" on the invites like I saw at the other wedding.

I need some thoughts about these.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need some South Dakotian thoughts here

• I'm Sioux Falls born and raised and getting married next October so I will add my 2cents!

I have seen the "fake cakes" done here before and not heard any complaints. In fact, I don't even think people really realize it IS fake. There are rental places here that offer to rent them out for the big day.

As far as the registry, I think that registering for a few items would be better recieved than not registering at all. I had a friend who registered but then wrote on her website "The couple is registered at Target, but money for the honeymoon is greatly appreciated". Most of the gifts she recieved were cash, but I personally think its nice to give people the option.

In the end, it is up to you what you want to do! :)

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-dakota-sioux-falls_need-some-south-dakotian-thoughts-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:117Discussion:83078922-c624-4bcd-9428-605e7a7f519fPost:1a721427-c7db-4472-9a6c-a2d1c5581985">Need some South Dakotian thoughts here</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was born in SD but have since moved in and lived in Cali for the last 15 years or so. Most of my family is still in SD but will be coming out for the wedding. There's some big cultural differences between my FI family and mine and some of the things they are wanting to do I don't think would be well received but its been so long since I've been back home I don't really have an idea of what is common around there anymore. 1. Has anybody heard of/seen a fake cake at a wedding before? It is all styrofoam with frosting decorations and a special compartment with real cake so you can still cut it. There are sheet cakes in the kitchen waiting to be served. I'd never heard of such a thing before I went to a wedding with FILs. 2. Not doing a registry at all. We pretty much have everything we need and prefer money to help with a downpayment and his mother is insisting to not have a registry at all so people won't buy us stuff. I'm saying that they will figure out we want cash if there's just a small registry and that I'm antipicating a lot of my SD relatives won't just hand out cash and were going to get gifts no matter what we do so we might as well register. I'm afraid she's wanting me to put "no boxed gifts" on the invites like I saw at the other wedding. I need some thoughts about these.
    Posted by Melokiel[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards