Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

DIY my cake - test cake #3! PIB

I made my first fondant cake today. I plan to take a class but can't until January, so I just watched a few youtube videos and gave it a try. I made the marshmallow fondant myself and it's over a home made cherry chip cake with cherry preserves layered inside. I don't have a fondant smoother and couldn't find something around the house that would work - I think it would be even better if I did.It's for our early holiday party that we are having tonight, hence the red and white. :)PIB (cake #3!)

MARRIED 10.10.10 !!

October 2010 Siggy Challenge - walking down the aisle!

Re: DIY my cake - test cake #3! PIB

• edited December 2011
    Wow, all three of those are impressive! I love #2 (my colors were pink and brown and i totally would've used that!)
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Your fondant cake looks very nice for your first try. To avoid seeing the cake layers beneath the fondant, it helps to use more icing on the cake and make sure the icing is very smooth and then chill the whole cake well before adding fondant. A fondant smoother does make things easier.
  • kjane12kjane12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    #2 is awesome!
  • edited December 2011
    They all look great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I'm impressed! #2 is my favorite!
  • edited December 2011
    I love #2 as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I aggree with PP: when I was watching Martha Stewart do a fondant cover for a wedding cake she still put white meringue butter cream frosting all over the cake before she covered it with fondant.  The frosting served two purposes: 1. It added more volume and wetness to the cake and 2. It acted as a cement and a insulator so you could not see the layers.I think I like the first cake most. But I am partial to buttercream simply because its the most versatile and resilient of all the cake toppings in any situation.  It spreads on well, it lasts a long time, even in warm conditions.  And for anyone with some baking experience(including bakers) it's pretty hard to mess up. 
  • edited December 2011
    May I ask why you are considering fondant for your cake?  How big does your cake need to be?  Cake #2 is lovely, btw...You have the right idea with the fondant.  A smoother is a must as it really helps pull it down into place.  If you can elevate your cake onto something that is narrower than your cake board you can pull the fondant down smoothly and under the edge of the board, thus getting rid of the puddling that will happen.To keep from seeing those bulges around the middle, use a thicker icing dam.  I make an icing that is thick enough to actually roll into a snake with my hands.  Put a snake of that stuff around and stack your layers.  Crumb coat your layers and let them sit for a few hours.  Cakes compress. This also causes bulging and if you cover with fondant right away and your wedding is the next day, you'll see fondant drooping around the bottoms. 
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Looks great!
  • dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you're very talented...i like 'em all!
  • edited December 2011
    All of your cakes look great! Good job! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards