April 2013 Weddings

Five Month Curse??

Is this a real thing?? The planning is going fine, but we just found out were going to need a new roof fast! We just put about 2 grand into the house for repairs and almost wiped out our house savings account! We had to pull out money from our wedding account to control some credit card debt (its not bad but the majority of the wedding costs have and will be going on this card. Major travel points! Converts to a really nice statement credit) When I posted on my facebook about needing a roof, my friend told me it had to be the 5 month curse. Before her wedding, her cat got really sick and she had to spend over $1200 on him. Another friend had a tree fall on her house and car, causing quite a financial debacle, and yet another friend had her car stolen all 5 months before! So I'm trying to find a new job with no luck, trying to sell a car with no luck and now I need a roof with no money (or luck!) So have any of you ladies heard of this? Or had any crazy curse-like symptoms??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Five Month Curse??

• I have never heard of this but thats crazy!! Thankfully the most that has happened at the 5 month for us is talking about hte possibility of moving before the wedding :( due to FI hating his current job and getting an offer to farm with people he knows which he would love because thats what he wants to do so i guess if that will make him happier i'm game....but other than taht no curse like things here (yet)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just had to replace my bathroom floor because of water damage from a leaky shower AND just got a notice FEMA declared with new mapping that I now need flood insurance because I am in a flood zone..... Just stab my eyes out.
  • I hope this isn't true but my luck is never good to begin with!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have never heard of this, but considering at our 5 month mark, everything we owned had to be packed away due to issues needing to be fixed in our apartment (long story), issues which probably put us out about a thousand dollars, and then a hurricane destroyed New York (where we live)....yeah...I'm thinking it may be true...
  • edited November 2012
    Umm...hadn't heard of it but may have been victim of the same curse. Our planner told us just before the 5 month mark that our reception venue would not be completed (renovated) in time for the wedding! So that's been a fiasco with her and the owner of the venue, but actually may work out for the better -- we found a bigger space that may end up being cheaper so we can squeeze in the open bar.

Sorry to hear about the roof deal...and everything else! It will all work out!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Maba-did you end up keeping your planner?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_five-month-curse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:c782354b-3495-4c71-8155-032a58e06404Post:5110b2e6-42d6-43c2-a90c-768eba2bb9ef">Re: Five Month Curse??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maba-did you end up keeping your planner?
    Posted by lch0708[/QUOTE]

Ehhhh yeah. FI wants to, plus we paid her most of our money already and realistically, we MUST have someone for day of -- and anyone else at this point would probably cost more than the remainder of what we owe her. No family members are involved and it's long distance, so we do need someone. But she's definitely well aware by now that we are not taking any more crap. FI has been handling all coordination with her - he told her to basically stay away from me for a while lol. But she's not entirely off the hook - I still want to call her out on basically lying to us and discuss the communication piece between us. She offered a $300 credit toward flowers (which is someone else, so not really sure how that works) or linens - which we do want but I refused to pay $25ea to rent them from her. I'd rather we just pay $300 less to her, but I don't think FI has talked to her about that yet. I'm still not entirely happy with the situation w her and the previous venue, but I think the new venue will work out better. I won't have to stress as much about reaching max capacity. I don't know. We'll see. Try not to tell me I told you so if I complain again tho :-P
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
  • Yikes, I've never heard of this. We're right around the five month mark and everything has been great. Fingers crossed it stays this way

Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_five-month-curse?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:c782354b-3495-4c71-8155-032a58e06404Post:819bf127-eb4e-48d0-b3da-6e176e05f480">Re: Five Month Curse??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Five Month Curse?? : Ehhhh yeah. FI wants to, plus we paid her most of our money already and realistically, we MUST have someone for day of -- and anyone else at this point would probably cost more than the remainder of what we owe her. No family members are involved and it's long distance, so we do need someone. But she's definitely well aware by now that we are not taking any more crap. FI has been handling all coordination with her - he told her to basically stay away from me for a while lol. But she's not entirely off the hook - I still want to call her out on basically lying to us and discuss the communication piece between us. She offered a $300 credit toward flowers (which is someone else, so not really sure how that works) or linens - which we do want but I refused to pay $25ea to rent them from her. I'd rather we just pay $300 less to her, but I don't think FI has talked to her about that yet. I'm still not entirely happy with the situation w her and the previous venue, but I think the new venue will work out better. I won't have to stress as much about reaching max capacity. I don't know. We'll see. Try not to tell me I told you so if I complain again tho :-P
    Posted by mabapunta[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Good luck!  I hope everything works out with her.  My old WP was parading around under someone else's old company so I didn't even give her a chance to explain herself since it's illegal.  Quite a different situation so hopefully yours works out to be better than the original plan :-)

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards