Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Last minute menu changes

With 10 days to go, we talked to our caterer and realized we are under budget, so we are adding a few things.  I just can't decide which way to go.  Here is the set in stone menu:

5 hours premium open bar, with champagne toast for all guests

Cocktail hour:
3 passed apps
Mini beef wellington
Vegetable spring roll
Sesame chicken skewer

Stationary:
Cheese/crackers, veggie, fruit display

Salad:
Mixed greens wth dried cherries and pears.
served with rolls and butter

Entree: 
Pre-selected choice of the following
Filet with red wine demi glace
Potato crusted chicken with dijon chive sauce
Pasta primavera
Children's chicken tenders with fries. 

Now, we have 2 options that I am debating adding.  Either a shrimp cocktail display during cocktail hour but there is already quite a bit of food being served.  The other option would be served as a plated course, brie baked in puff pastry with apricot glaze and french baguette on the side (This is AMAZING but the flavor is different and it would mean more time for the meal). 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Last minute menu changes

• edited December 2011
    That brie sounds amazing (although I don't eat shrimp, in the interest of full disclosure).  Can you have your caterer set out the first course before people come in from cocktail hour, so they will sit down and start the meal right away?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_last-minute-menu-changes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:613566e8-bd34-441d-8034-744bbbafda4ePost:eb99f8e2-01c7-461e-bf26-894612252fac">Re: Last minute menu changes</a>:
    [QUOTE]That brie sounds amazing (although I don't eat shrimp, in the interest of full disclosure).  Can you have your caterer set out the first course before people come in from cocktail hour, so they will sit down and start the meal right away?
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

The brie is SO good, I can't even express how much I liked it.  We originally werent having any passed apps during cocktail hour so we were doing the shrimp display.  Now, with more food at cocktail hour, I would rather get the delicious brie app.  I need to find out how to make that at home, and honestly I don't think it would be too difficult. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_last-minute-menu-changes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:613566e8-bd34-441d-8034-744bbbafda4ePost:aa23c790-6ffe-43c3-9357-da708429bf47">Re: Last minute menu changes</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Last minute menu changes : The brie is SO good, I can't even express how much I liked it.  We originally werent having any passed apps during cocktail hour so we were doing the shrimp display.  Now, with more food at cocktail hour, I would rather get the delicious brie app.  I need to find out how to make that at home, and honestly I don't think it would be too difficult. 
    Posted by Allycat11[/QUOTE]

<div>I haven't tried it, but a friend told me you just get frozen phyllo dough, wrap it around the brie, bake, and that's it--sounds pretty easy.  I think I've seen baked brie premade in the frozen section at Trader Joe's, too.  </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I WANT TO COME! 

Seriously, that sounds like a wonderful party and a fantastic menu.  I would order the filet with demi glace. Mmmmm....

ETA: Oh, and I voted for the brie puff thing because 1) vegetarians can enjoy it too, and 2) shrimp cocktail doesn't seem as exciting. And your wedding is the fall and the brie pastry sounds comforting and filling; perfect for sweater weather.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm allergic to seafood so the shrimp option is automatically cancelled out for me and I LOOOVE baked brie!
  • kbn22273kbn22273 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think that's a lot of food either way (and I'm totally drooling!!!).  What about keeping the extra money for something else (honeymoon, etc).  Or if it's prepaid and you can't get the cash back, what about a dessert bar?  Something sweet instead of cake?

It's a great dilemna :)

• edited December 2011
    As a vegetarian, naturally I voted for the brie...and it sounds delicious!  Also something to consider, our venue coordinator recommended we stay away from shrimp cocktail because it can be messy. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The brie sounds delicious!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Lauren19.Lauren19. member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It all sounds AMAZING! if you think the courses you have are enough, what about a late night snack option? Either dessert trays or sliders or something?
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whatever you choose, I would add it to the cocktail hour rather than at dinner.  And I think you'll find that more people like shirmp than baked brie - it's always the first to go at parties.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. 
    It's a food and beverage minimum issue, so no matter what it has to be used at the reception.  Also, my parents are graciously paying and they don't like the idea of a late night snack, so that was already ruled out. 
    I'm going to call the venue and find out about the brie.
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for the brie (sounds fantastic), but I'm also gonna need you to e-mail me a few mini-beef Wellingtons.  Yum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards