June 2012 Weddings

What's on your menu?!

Just curious! I have to put in the call to the caterer soon and want to give him an idea of what were looking for, but I cant make my mind up :) 
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: What's on your menu?!

• we are doing it ourselves. You can never go wrong with a chicken item though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing stations, so we'll have a pasta station, seafood station, carving station, potato and veggie station.  So basically all of the staples, but with multiple options in each category.
  • Ya our caterer is FIs sister-in-laws dad so we can be super flexible I just don't even know where to start because he said "tell me what you want!" I want it all!!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_whats-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:6bf306a5-78df-4dab-9946-798490325354Post:9a420327-02be-4784-83f5-bcfa7f33aca0">Re: What's on your menu?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ya our caterer is FIs sister-in-laws dad so we can be super flexible I just don't even know where to start because he said "tell me what you want!" I want it all!!
    Posted by zeke17us[/QUOTE]

Is he charging you based on what you pick? I am buying all the food and people are making/cooking for us for free. I would still say some sort of chicken, salads, rolls, potato, keep it simple and traditional based on your area. You don't want a fancy meal if you are not fancy people, it will come across as fake.
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a buffet.  Rigatoni, beef, meatballs, vegetable, salad etc.  Not 100% sure on the specifics, but that is the basics of it.
    Photobucket
  • I think the meal really depends on the whole vibe of your wedding.  Are you doing a formal evening wedding and dinner reception?  Or do you want it to be more casual?  Either way, I would sit down with FI and talk about what your absolute favorite foods are.  You can highlight those on your menu and have your caterer play them up fancy or casual.  They should be able to pull it off either way.
  • Im sure he will somehow charge based on what we pick! going through his company will be saving us a boatload though! we cant do it ourselves becuase we have to use a licensed company at our venue otherwise I would! It will be buffett as well:) and ya I was just looking for thoughts, like I said I would pick everything... as my mouth is watering reading what everyone is thinking of already!! Im thinking we'll go with a chigken and a beef, maybe meatballs... we will see!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_whats-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:6bf306a5-78df-4dab-9946-798490325354Post:290f5612-5474-45a2-8d0c-d16c372468fc">Re: What's on your menu?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the meal really depends on the whole vibe of your wedding.  Are you doing a formal evening wedding and dinner reception?  Or do you want it to be more casual?  Either way, I would sit down with FI and talk about what your absolute favorite foods are.  You can highlight those on your menu and have your caterer play them up fancy or casual.  They should be able to pull it off either way.
    Posted by julbgordo[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  My wedding is traditional but not really that formal.  So a buffet works.  It all kind of depends on what feel you're going for and how formal or casual you'd like to be.
    Photobucket
  • Our dinner is going to be on the more formal side.  We are doing two salad options.  One stanrdard garden salad and the other a spinach and strawberry salad.  For entrees we haven't picked yet, but know that it will be a chicken, fish and beef option.

The venues doesn't charge extra for the multiple options, which we really liked.
  • We're having a chicken option and salmon with all the fixins
  • Ours is pretty formal so we are doing a plated dinner.  Our tasting isnt until the winter but it will either be a duet of chicken and beef or the option of the two.  I prefer the duet (and its only $5 more) but if the seperate options are tastier I will go with that. 
  • We have 3 options for our guests, so we're probably going to go wtih a chicken dish, a beef dish, and a vegetarian dish.  I know the custom is to have a seafood option as well, but we have several guests who are deathly allergic to certain types of fish, and I feel more people will be interested in a vegetarian option.

I know this doesn't entirely help you out with your original question, but I agree with PP that you should choose some dishes you really like and see what your caterer can do.  I would venture a guess that most people expect a chicken option and a beef and/or seafood option, so I'd recommend you try to fall within those when choosing your main entrees.

If you're still struggling to figure out what you want, see if you can come up with a TYPE of cuisine you're interested.  All French or Italian food?  Maybe a Mexican twist on classic dishes?  If there's a particular restaurant or restaurant type you guys like, maybe their menu can help you out for inspiration :)
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • We're doing stations.  We'll have an American station with mini cheeseburgers, mini Chicago-style hot dogs with a variety of toppings to choose from, and regular and sweet potato fries.  The an Italian station with pasta choices as well as a meatballs or sausage and a variety of sauces. Oh, and that is where the salad will be as well.  Finally we're planning on doing an Asian station with chicken stirfry, beef stirfry, potstickers, and mini take out boxes.  We won't have our tasting until sometime next year but this is what we're thinking thus far.  I want the reception to have a modern, elegant, yet somewhat casual feel and I think the stations will help achieve that. Both the venue and catering company are very classy and it will be presented in such a way to keep a slightly more formal feeling.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker White Knot
  • We are doing things pretty casually.. so we're going fun:  Two buffet lines.

One Mexican (nacho/taco bar with beef, chicken, cheese, sour cream, beans, spanish rice).

One Pizza/Italian (not sure yet if its just pizza or also garlic bread and pasta).

• I'm not sure about our h'orderves yet, but I'm almost positive we're doing a filet/salmon combo plate with a starch (hopefully mashed red potatoes) and a vegetable (asparagus). Everyone will also get a salad with choice of ranch or balsamic and one of the best rolls ever!
  • we are going pretty casual with a Mexican buffet.
    appetizers - chips & salsa, fruit & cheese display
    Tacos - choice of beef or beans, choice of hard or soft shells
    Enchiladas -choice of chicken or cheese
    all the taco toppings
    Refried Beans, black beans, rice, skillet grilled corn
    i know its casual, but that is the kind of stuff we like.  I didn;t want to do anything i wouldnt normally want to eat. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards