Registry and Gift Forum

Cash for a wedding gift?

He is 40 and this is his second marriage, I am 32 and have been living on my own for 10 years (oh lord!) we have two of everything. Exect a nice king size bed.  Is it rude to ask for money to purchase a big ticket item like a sleep number bed?  The good lord knows I have no more room for kitchen gadgets, china or flat ware, most of what we have is in storage already.

Re: Cash for a wedding gift?

• It is never appropriate to ask for money.  Create a small registry for upgrades, etc. that your guests uncomfortable with giving money can purchase from.  Or, don't create one at all and if anyone inquires your family can spread the word that you have a small registry but are also saving for xyz.
  • You do not ask for cash.  Create a small registry for things like upgraded sheets (holy amazing 600tc!) or things you'd never buy for yourself (heated mattress pad??)  or, don't register for anything, and people will get the hint.  It's very crass to ask for money.
  • I agree.  Some people will insist on giving boxed gifts, so do a small registry (look at the "Don't know what to register for?" thread pinned to the top of this forum for suggestions) and if people ask where you're register, say "We have a small registry for X, but we're also saving for a new sleep number bed!"  They'll get the hint.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Create a small registry with king sheets, comforter, pillows, etc.  Include a few upgrades and then hopefully some people will give you money towards the new bed, but you can't just outright ask for cash as a gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks guys!
  • I think the whole don't request cash thing is outdated. I made a registry on myregistry.com so I could set  up a bunch of different cash funds for big things we could use, like home renovations, etc. I think you could use this site to make a bed fund, and then maybe you would want to add things like bedding and pillows to the registry as well. This site will let you add things from any store, so you would have you pick of bedding and things that you might want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards