Wedding Reception Forum

terrariums as gifts for the wedding guests...

So I love the idea of giving terrariums as gifts to the wedding guests. The terrarium would have some sort of colorful miniature plant combination inside. I work in the environmental field and I think giving a gift that keeps giving would be so nice. Will everyone else like it though??? I'd like to think so, but maybe i'm biased. What do you think? If you don't like the terrarium idea, what do you think could be a good alternative gift? It doesn't have to be environmental in nature, but it does have to be unique! :-) Thanks!!!

Re: terrariums as gifts for the wedding guests...

• You know your guests better than anyone, so if you think they'd like it then go with it.  I'm a huge advocate of giving edible favors. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No matter how great the favor is - even edible - there are going to be about 20% left at the end of the night. 
  • I'm not a guest at your wedding, but I'd like one.  It would be cool to have a plant I didn't have to water in my office, you know?

But I'd be concerned about the cost.  I don't know your budget, but I can't imagine you'd be able to do them for less than $5-10 each.  That seems like a lot for something that you aren't sure if people will like/want.  
  • I think it's always a pretty big gamble to give favors that will basically become decor in your guests' houses or offices, since people are pretty picky about that kind of thing.  The idea is nice, but I think they probably won't be a hit with everyone. 

Favors are a thank-you gift to your guests, and gifts are generally about what the recipient likes and appreciates, not so much about the giver's preferences. 
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't have any room in my house for a terrarium, so I'd probably not take one.  As long as you have a plan in case there are any left behind, then go for it.   As PP said, you know your guests better than we do.   
    DSC_9275
  • edited December 2011
    I would like one, as long as I was local.  If you have a lot of out of town guests, I doubt many people would take them, even if they wanted to do so.  

You could probably donate any left behind to a nursing home or hospital, so I don't think it's a big deal, as long as you are ok with that extra step and you won't be hurt if not many people take them. 
  • You need to know your guests.    

I'm known for being a plant killer.   I would not take one because I think it deserves a chance to live and it certainly will not if it came home to me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think it's fun, assuming it's small.  They sound expensive, although I'm not sure exactly what would be in them.

We gave out pine tree seedlings (if you're looking for another, cheaper option).  For people who didn't have a yard, we encouraged them to plant it in a local field that needed some greening-up or on a pot on their balcony.  The trees were about $1.25 each (plus wrapping and ribbons and tags), we did one per couple.  Any leftover ones (we had maybe 5-10 at the end of the night) we just planted ourselves, no waste.

• As I guest I would enjoy a terranium.  I like the pine tree seedling idea too.  Cute!
  • I would think a terrarium is cool, but I think using them as centerpices that guests were invited to take home might be better. That way you don't have to make as many and it won't cost as much. FI and I are using wheatgrass as our centerpieces and inviting guests to take them home for anyone who juices wheatgrass or wants to give it to their cats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards