Wedding Reception Forum

Anyone trying a covered dish reception?

Not only is a cost efficient, but it fits our personality perfect--a picnic-styled reception with out guests supplying the food based on a list we create (ie. cocktail hour, main dish, salads, etc.).  We haven't committed to it yet, and still working through details.  Anyone else try something like this?  Thoughts to consider?

Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:06e5f28e-40a5-4bac-8929-cc6104175155">Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not only is a cost efficient, <strong>but it fits our personality perfect-</strong>-a picnic-styled reception with out guests supplying the food based on a list we create (ie. cocktail hour, main dish, salads, etc.).  We haven't committed to it yet, and still working through details.  Anyone else try something like this?  Thoughts to consider?
    Posted by j24633[/QUOTE]

Umm no.  but getting our guests to pay and cook their own meal for our party does not fit  our personalities.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:06e5f28e-40a5-4bac-8929-cc6104175155">Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not only is a cost efficient, but it fits our personality perfect--a picnic-styled reception with out guests supplying the food based on a list we create (ie. cocktail hour, main dish, salads, etc.).  We haven't committed to it yet, and still working through details.  Anyone else try something like this?  Thoughts to consider?
    Posted by j24633[/QUOTE]

<div>You mean pot luck?  Yeah, incredibly rude, not to mention a logistical nightmare.</div><div>
    </div><div>You invite your guests so that you can host them.  You do not ask them to provide the meal.  </div>
  • That would be called a potluck wedding.  Most people here don't like them.  It's better to get together a few family members to do the food prep (of course family members who want to do this) .  Asking each of your guests to bring a dish can be a logistical nightmare, a food safety problem, and of course an inconvenience to most of your guests.  
  • j24633j24633 member
    First Comment
    Wow.  Not a whole lot of help and I'm overwhelmed with the criticsm.  

I asked if anyone was considering this?  Thoughts to consider.  Thanks to those who gave me thoughts to consider (food safety, family doing the food).  To those who posted criticism, may your family/friends be patient with your wedding planning.  RUDE. 
  • I'm sorry you did not like my reply.

The art of hosting events seems to be going away and it's sad to me.  My family and friends would have been highly offended if I requested they bring a certain dish to feed 140 people for an event I invited them to. 

In my world it's expected you provide what you can afford, appropriate for the time of day.  It's not appropriate to ask people to pay for anything let alone having to spend hours cooking.

I know in some circles pot lucks are acceptable.  If they are in your world go for it.  but in my world it's a major faux pas.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You asked for thoughts to consider.  You should consider that this would be horribly rude.

Do you really want your wedding to demonstrate to your guests that you are selfish and inconsiderate? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:06e5f28e-40a5-4bac-8929-cc6104175155">Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not only is a cost efficient, but it fits our personality perfect--a picnic-styled reception with out guests supplying the food based on a list we create (ie. cocktail hour, main dish, salads, etc.).  We haven't committed to it yet, and still working through details.  Anyone else try something like this?  Thoughts to consider?
    Posted by j24633[/QUOTE]

Yes.  As other posters have said, the primary thought to consider is that you're treating your guests rudely. 

If you can't afford to provide a meal for your guests, then don't.  Have a cake and punch reception, which can be very lovely. 

But bragging that having the people you're supposed to be hosting provide their own meals is "cost efficient" is just in very poor taste.  If cost efficient is what you're looking for, just ask your guests to brown bag their lunches.

Please don't do this. 
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • PS:  For our son's wedding, we had a wonderful, laid-back, backyard picnic for the RD.  WP and all OOT guests were invited, and everyone said they really enjoyed it.

BUT.....we provided all the food and drinks.  I get what you're saying about vibe or ambience.  But laid back doesn't mean that you ask others to provide what YOU should be providing.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:1eaae133-4852-400d-9aa0-d1e0a14c667e">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow.  Not a whole lot of help and I'm overwhelmed with the criticsm.   I asked if anyone was considering this?  Thoughts to consider.  Thanks to those who gave me thoughts to consider (food safety, family doing the food).  To those who posted criticism, may your family/friends be patient with your wedding planning.  RUDE. 
    Posted by j24633[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>it's rude because people posted criticism and didn't think your idea of your guests paying for the food at your wedding an awesome money saving idea? no one was rude, they just didn't validate your rude idea. </div>
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Please don't do this.

Provide the food for your guests ... don't ask them to bring it. The party is for them.
  • Potluck weddings are okay if and only if:

1) Your social circle does potlucks often.  Like, once a month at least.
    2) Everyone invited is local and has a place to prepare the food
    3) You have a plan for maintaining the proper temperature on the food so no one gets sick

We hosted four total meals during the course of our wedding weekend for 40 people, and while the reception was pretty expensive, the other three meals cost about $500 combined.  It just requires some research, creativity, and patience.  The other meals weren't fancy, but several guests expressed gratitude for not having to pay for any meals during the trip.  (For the record, the other three meals were pizza, catering from an Italian fast food place, and a buffet.)

There are plenty of ways to host a wonderful wedding on a tight budget that don't require your guests to pay.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • My sister did this.  You know what happened? Disaster.

No one brought food except my mother and her MIL.  There was no food for anyone.  I was part of the bridal party, and had to leave early to go to McD's so I could eat.  I'd been there for 7 hours with no food.

Not a good plan.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:89171dcd-1cd6-466d-9ae0-fb3afa3cd376">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Potluck weddings are okay if and only if: 1) Your social circle does potlucks often.  Like, once a month at least. 2) Everyone invited is local and has a place to prepare the food 3) You have a plan for maintaining the proper temperature on the food so no one gets sick Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

This.  Since our group here is made of entirely of poor students or recent grads our get-togethers are usually potlucks.  If someone planned a wedding reception as a potluck, I wouldn't be offended. 

Our potlucks are usually semi-hosted.  Whoever invited people would make a main dish (turkey,or veggie chili, etc) and guests brought apps, sides, or dessert. 
  • Since your guests are already going to be bringing you gifts it would be rude to ask them to bring you food as well. For my reception my family and I are doing all of the cooking ourselves. If you can get some family members to volunteer to help than that's fine but I would not ask your guests to. You and your family are the hosts, it is your responsibility to server your guests, not the other way around.
    I'm married!
  • If you're looking to save money you can still do a picnic style reception, just as long as you provide the food yourself. I saw one wedding where they set out blankets in a park and then set a picnic basket with food and drinks on each blanket. It was totally cute and would be fun and laid back if that's your style. Of course that idea only works if you're doing an outdoor wedding. I'm sure you could think of something to work for an indoor reception.
    I'm married!
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:29fdcfe3-6672-43e9-a9ab-63d93b44ad45">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception? : This.  Since our group here is made of entirely of poor students or recent grads our get-togethers are usually potlucks.  If someone planned a wedding reception as a potluck, I wouldn't be offended.  Our potlucks are usually semi-hosted.  Whoever invited people would make a main dish (turkey,or veggie chili, etc) and guests brought apps, sides, or dessert. 
    Posted by jenn.daniel[/QUOTE]

casual get togethers are one thing.  Formal invitations to a gift giving event is another.

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    I think the closest you can really get to this is to spread the word informally that you would love it if some of your guests brought food in lieu of a wedding gift.  That way, people who are coming from out of town or don't have a place to prepare food can still get you a different gift.  And it's clear that those who bring food have already given you a gift.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:06e5f28e-40a5-4bac-8929-cc6104175155">Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]a picnic-styled reception with out guests supplying the food based on a list we create
    Posted by j24633[/QUOTE]

Did you mean "With OUT guests" "with OUR guest"?

I am doing a picnic style reception, but have a caterer making bbq chicken and brisket.  The salads and things will be provided.  If you are going to have your guests bring food...call it what it is, A POT LUCK, and make sure you are okay with people contributing food instead of gifts! 
  • edited May 2010
    I have been toying around with this idea too.
    Here's what we were thinking:
    We would provide the main course and drinks, then ask our guest to bring their side dish or dessert along with the recipe to make a cook book for me. I thought it would be special to have the treasure family recipes of my family and friends to carry traditions that they hold dear to themselves. This may not fit everyone's "personalities" but its also not their wedding.

And I agree alot of people are being rude to you. Constructive critisism is one thing, but do it with tack ladies. We're all friends planning for one of the happiest days of lives, lets act happy and try to help each out.  =)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:0754c670-c5e0-46d1-8fc7-3d37f2abdb84">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been toying around with this idea too. Here's what we were thinking: We would provide the main course and drinks, then ask our guest to bring their side dish or dessert along with the recipe to make a cook book for me. I thought it would be special to have the treasure family recipes of my family and friends to carry traditions that they hold dear to themselves. This may not fit everyone's "personalities" but its also not their wedding. And I agree alot of people are being rude to you. Constructive critisism is one thing, but do it with tack ladies. We're all friends planning for one of the happiest days of lives, lets act happy and try to help each out.  =)
    Posted by Stipton15[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with people bringing their recipes.  I'm NOT okay with people bringing their food`even side dishes and desserts.  As a guest, if I don't know if the potato salad has been sitting in a hot car during the ceremony, I'm not eating it. 

A pot luck is great.  I like them.  We have them.  Our friends have them.  Our church has them.  We go to them.  Just NOT for a wedding. 

If you ask people to a wedding reception, you should be hosting them.  And that means you provide more that the burgers and chicken.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:0754c670-c5e0-46d1-8fc7-3d37f2abdb84">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have been toying around with this idea too. Here's what we were thinking: We would provide the main course and drinks, then ask our guest to bring their side dish or dessert along with the recipe to make a cook book for me. I thought it would be special to have the treasure family recipes of my family and friends to carry traditions that they hold dear to themselves. This may not fit everyone's "personalities" but its also not their wedding. And I agree alot of people are being rude to you. Constructive critisism is one thing, but do it with <strong>tack</strong> ladies. We're all friends planning for one of the happiest days of lives, lets act happy and try to help each out.  =)
    The word is tact.<div>
    </div><div>Telling someone their idea is not good is not being rude.  As I and many others have said, food safety is a concern with these kind of weddings.  I went to a potluck (not a wedding) and got very sick.  So, I'm kind of worried about it.  MAYBE she could have a few family members donate boxed desserts.  Overall, I think it's probably best to have professionals handle the food.  </div>
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:d884890c-98e4-4992-9b86-593fbb4a0e2e">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception? : The word is tact. Telling someone their idea is not good is not being rude.  As I and many others have said, food safety is a concern with these kind of weddings.  I went to a potluck (not a wedding) and got very sick.  So, I'm kind of worried about it.  MAYBE she could have a few family members donate boxed desserts.  Overall, I think it's probably best to have professionals handle the food.  
    Posted by Goldlie11[/QUOTE]
    This is the reason why every bake sale I've seen since I was ten has required the food to be purchased and individually packaged.  Amateur food -- /> sickness --> lawsuits
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • The everyone-bring-a-dish-and-recipe idea is cute, but that is appropriate for a shower, not a wedding reception.
    [QUOTE]I have been toying around with this idea too. Here's what we were thinking: We would provide the main course and drinks, then ask our guest to bring their side dish or dessert along with the recipe to make a cook book for me. I thought it would be special to have the treasure family recipes of my family and friends to carry traditions that they hold dear to themselves. This may not fit everyone's "personalities" but its also not their wedding. And I agree alot of people are being rude to you. Constructive critisism is one thing, but do it with tack ladies. We're all friends planning for one of the happiest days of lives, lets act happy and try to help each out.  =)

<div>I fail to see where anyone has been rude to the OP.  The fact that people are pointing out that her idea is rude is not rude.  It's actually quite helpful.</div><div>
    </div><div>If you do this, your family and friends are going to be thinking the same things that people here are saying.  But the difference is that you actually care about them, and will be horribly embarrassed when they see how poorly you are treating them.  It may not be what you want to hear, but it's better to hear it from internet strangers.  </div><div>
    </div><div>If you do this, your wedding will go down in your family's history as the rudest, most selfish wedding ever.  People will comment and poke fun at you behind your back for years to come.  It doesn't matter how casual and laid back they are, people do not enjoy being mistreated this way.  If that's what you want, great.  But if you are trying to throw an event that your friends and family will enjoy attending, you should look for other alternatives.  </div>

There's a big difference between not validating a suggestion and being rude.  I specifically went back and read all the posts.  Not a single one was rude.  But almost all of them told the OP her idea was a bad one and listed the reasons why.

That's a far cry from being rude.

Here's a suggestion for you:  if you want unvarnished, truthful, if blunt answers to questions, then stick around on national boards.

If you want validation and gushy "Gosh, what a great idea!!  I'm totally going to do that too!!!11!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!" then may I suggest weddingwire or a local board.  They'll tell you what you want to hear.

We'll tell you what you need to hear.
  • Well, how about this...

What will you do if no one brings anything? What do your family members think of the idea? What is your back-up plan? What if people are offended?

I don't think people are being rude. I agree - it is, as far as manners are concerned, rude to ask your guests to provide the food. Yes, it's cost-effective for you, but only because you aren't providing the food. I think it may be nice for them to bring you a recipe, but not the food.

Think of the economy - how many people would they have to prepare food for? Can they afford it? What about your out of town guests? What will they do? I would feel awful if that is what everyone else was doing and I couldn't do it. I would prefer to ask everyone to bring one family recipe as a gift to me instead of that.

How will you account for who is bringing what? What if several people bring the same thing? If they are at liberty to choose the dishes, several of them may bring something similar...and they may not bring enough.

What will you do to prepare if there is a health scare as a result of the food?

I think it is a very risky idea, indeed, and there is much to consider.

Why not just have a small plates reception, a cute cake, and some non-alcoholic beverages to cut down the cost? Make the reception short and the gap between the ceremony and reception short. Feed them and welcome them and thank them for being your guests, because they should be appreciated.

Consider what people are saying and don't take offense. They are trying to warn you and persuade you because it isn't considered proper. There is a reason why so many of us are against the idea. No one here gets off on insulting someone via the boards. We all have weddings to plan - we're busy!

I hope that this helps in terms of considering other things logistically.

Pay special attention to the poster who said her sister tried it and it was a failure.
  • I have thought about this myself.  This will be my second wedding and my family and friends would be more than happy to bring whatever I asked of them.  Must just be the Southern Hospitality.  But I haven't decided for sure yet what I will do.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:91bcb28e-527a-46f5-ac84-b66fab24f33a">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have thought about this myself.  This will be my second wedding and my family and friends would be more than happy to bring whatever I asked of them.  Must just be the Southern Hospitality.  But I haven't decided for sure yet what I will do.
    Posted by cdeaton1[/QUOTE]

<div>it's southern hospitality to do what's asked of you. that doesn't stop them from talking about it behind your back. </div>
  • I think most all of the PP's who were opposed to this idea have it covered.
    Food Allergies
    Food Safety
    Amount of food
    Strange Varieties
    Asking your guests to contribute
    None of the above are cool! 

To the PP who said her and her family were going to cook the food- really?  I BBQ a lot, and I BBQ cater small events.  But never in my wildest dreams would I consider BBQing my wedding, no matter how much money I would save!  There are far too many other things to worry about on the wedding day and cooking is not one of those. 

I think it has NOTHING to do with "personality" at all.  I don't mind potlucks, I actually think they are kinda fun because you can taste so many new things and get new recipe ideas.  But bever for a wedding, unless of course I wanted to be part of some cheesy wedding show.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-trying-covered-dish-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:83906e93-df00-4bf1-9eda-f602331cb2d1Post:7d33e088-c246-4a4a-a04e-045b838515fe">Re: Anyone trying a covered dish reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have one message to everyone!  Who all is registered somewhere?? I think that, that is the rudest thing ever!!! You are telling people what to buy you! I'm asking for people to not buy me anything! We want people to bring a side dish and you say that, that is rude!!!! Get real! 
    Posted by stori489[/QUOTE]

I didn't register anywhere. By your logic, that makes my advice valid.

Potluck weddings are rude.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards