Not Engaged Yet

I'm too young for this! (Health Related)

Sooooo.... I have to have a colonoscopy!  Awesome. 

My father had colon cancer at age 42.  It was stage 4 at that point, so had been developing for awhile.  Because of this, my PCP had suggested I have a colonoscopy at 30.  But, I've been having some concerning symptoms (which I'm not comfortable sharing on a public message board - just TMI).  So I went to the doctor and am scheduled for the 16th.  I'm 28 and feeling much too young to be going through this. 

The good part is that if anything IS wrong, hopefully we will catch it very early.  But, I have to admit that I am a little scared and freaked out.

I know some of you other ladies have dealt with health related issues, so I felt comfortable sharing this here.  Think of me on the 16th and send good vibes.

Any LOL cats to help make me less freaked out?

IMG_6364
"Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg

Re: I'm too young for this! (Health Related)

• misikesmisikes member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well wishes and awesome vibes sent your way (and lolcats, too, of course!)

Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am sending good thoughts and hugs your way! I once dated a guy who had to start getting annual colonoscopies at the ripe young age of 19, he hated them but at least they allowed him to stay on top of his health issues.  Try not to freak out about getting it too much because it is to make sure that you are healthy.  Healthy=happiness and happiness=beautiful bride!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're going through this. I actually know how scary it is, I went though the same thing 2 years ago. Colon cancer also runs in my family, and I was experiencing symptoms. Luckily, everything was clear. It's very smart of you to get checked out rather than hoping it goes away. *hugs*

And here you go..this one made me literally LOL.

5/27/12
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies. 

Jaycee - that made me giggle, too.  :)
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    There is nothing lightly about GoLytely, and that is a scientific fact.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-young-this-health-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:28af1ce3-3c7f-4e47-a105-cb37afa96f50Post:fb390bd9-7fc7-4ec1-b919-007162f0cf88">Re: I'm too young for this! (Health Related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is nothing lightly about GoLytely, and that is a scientific fact.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

Nope. Haha

& I'm glad it did SKP :)
    5/27/12
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope your procedure goes well, SKP. Sending good vibes and this lolcat your way.

• lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Both of my parents have Ulcerative Colitis...so this type of talk is of daily dinner conversation. ;P

My parents assure me that the colonoscopy isn't such a big deal. In fact- my dad had one a couple weeks ago and the new anesthesia they are using is pretty great now.

I'll probably be getting this procedure done within the next three years.

However- the L-Dopa I have been taking has dramatically impacted my bathroom habits for the better.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    edited December 2011
    Ugh...I'm so sorry. I wouldn't wish a bowel prep on my worst enemy. It's absolutely worth it to know, though. Keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh ugh! T/P for sure for you on the 16th.

Also... don't be afraid to call the hospital your Dr. works at, ask to be connected to the GI surgical unit, and ask the first nurse who answers who the best GI doc is in regards to colonoscopies. As much as us nurses aren't supposed to admit who is good and who is awful, it's common lunch talk.... and they know.
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • edited December 2011
    I've been there.  I had a lot of stomach problems two years ago so I had to have a lot of tests done, the last of those being a colonoscopy.  I was freaking out beforehand, and I felt like I was way too young to be there (I was 21 then, the other people were much much older).  I was completely out of it during the procedure and felt fine afterwards.

I hope it all goes well for you!!
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MidniteRaeMidniteRae member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Message me if you have any questions.
     I had a colonoscopy and they found a growth in my colon, they think it is just a polyp, but aren't sure because it is pretty big. I will be getting it removed by surgery along with other things they found that I don't feel like posting about and will need a biopsy done on the growth. The prep for the colonoscopy was not fun. My body got to the point where it didn't want the stuff anymore and I started throwing it up. I ended up extremely dehyrated and they had to give me fluid through an IV. I also got really nauseous from the anethesia when I woke up. 
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." -Ray Bradbury 
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Thoughts and vibes for this!  I know it can be really scary (it's one of the few times I've ever seen my dad scared, honestly) but at least when it's over, you will know.  And hopefully we can celebrate that you made it through for the better!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • edited December 2011
    I'm probably going to have to have a colonoscopy relatively early on, as well. My paternal grandmother died of colon cancer at age 47, and I've always had gastrointestinal issues myself. If its any consolation, I've heard the prepping for the test (i.e. drinking all the nasty stuff) is way worse than the actual test itself. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    SKP - Sorry you're nervous about the procedure. I myself have been through a couple things with my doc that I did not look forward to. Remind yourself that this is possibly going to prevent something much worse...that always helps me. I'll be sending T&P your way through the 16th!

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    SKP, I'm sorry you have to go through this & that is scary but as PP have said once you go, you'll know, & you can move forward!! Fingers crossed for you!!!

• edited December 2011
    my dad had a colonoscopy recently, and it wasn't that big of a deal.  the worst part was just drinking a buttload of that stuff, and he was back to normal the next day!

T&P's...  you'll be fine, and hopefully it'll be a fast and easy recovery.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SKP - Sorry that you need to have the procedure earlier than you thought you would. Just remember you are being responsible and proactive about your health and that is a good thing. T & Ps
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    Good luck and I'll be sending you T's and P's on the 16th! Just think of this as preventative. There's not anything wrong, but it's best to just check every now and then because of family history. I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck and we'll all be thinking of you!

• becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry that you're stressed about your health. It's never good to be going in for a procedure like that.

But don't worry--there are a LOT of young people who have had a colonoscopy, even on this board apparently.  (I'm also one of them).  And btw, they're right. The day before the procedure is definitely, definitely the worst. The procedure itself you won't remember at all.

More importantly, good vibes, and I hope they find that everything is A-Okay!
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Poor SKP! My aunt is currently losing her battle with colon cancer, and all of her sisters (my mom included) had to go for theirs a few years ago. My mom said it wasn't actually as bad as everyone made it out to be, and she said she was so relieved when she had results back. Everything will be a-okay! I am around the corner from those myself, so you will have to let me know how it goes for you. Good luck!!
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww man :( Sorry you're going through this. I'll send good vibes your way.

Maybe this will cheer you up:

White Knot
  • SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your thoughts, ladies!  It's good to know that there are others out there who have been through this.  I so appreciate all the encouragement.

I have a feeling that everything will be okay, but it's just scary to think that it *might* not be.

Nursey - thanks for the tip!  I will do that this week. 
    IMG_6364
  • anythinggoldanythinggold member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SKP: Ack! My thoughts will be with you. I had to have one when I was 16. It wasn't fun, but sedatives are a beautiful thing, so don't worry too much about it. Just don't make plans the day before, and you'll be golden. 

They'll probably find something and biopsy it. Don't let that freak you out -- I think it'd be more surprising if they didn't! 
    *** LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011

Vibes going out for you. Sorry you have to go through this, it must be nerve racking. I've always thought of a colonoscopy as being really scary too but according to a lot of these ladies it's not too bad. I hope they don't find anything and you'll be just fine :)

• mmw&lmdmmw&lmd member
    edited December 2011
    I hope it goes well. :)

My mom was diagnosed at 41 with stage 2.  I was told I had to begin at 30 as well.  I actually started having some major issues (also, TMI!) that caused my doctor to insist I have a colonoscopy.  I was only 19 at the time.  Thankfully it was nothing serious.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to note, the procedrue is a breeze! The hard part is the prep, haha.  Not even the potty time, but not being able to eat was KILLING me.....
    Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards