Snarky Brides

Would you go to jail?

I'm pretty sure my dad's getting arrested next week, and if I didn't work in the media I'd be getting handcuffed with him.

The farmers from my hometown are staging a protest against the flooding that's been happening (CN - closed basin lake, water has been held back and has been slowly swallowing up everything including homes, farmland, etc. for the past 18 years) because they've pretty much had it.  This dude is organizing a protest with what he thinks could be anywhere between 2,000 and 4,000 farmers, they're headed out to a channel the lake will naturally overflow out of if it comes up another five feet and they're going to start digging.  Pretty much anyone who goes out there will be arrested, because the entire channel is monitored 24/7 by the Corps of Engineers, and there is a lot of political red tape that prevents the water from being released through that channel.

My mom called this morning and asked me about it and she's so excited.  I told her to have her bail money ready.  A lot of my facebook friends are posting about turning out for it.  I don't think there are enough jail cells for all these people...

Would you go to jail if it was for something you cared this much about?  The farmers have been losing their land for 18 years, my dad has lost 4,000 acres so far, and none of them are being compensated for it.
panther

Re: Would you go to jail?

• Yes I would.  It seems like taking action is the only way to get your voice heard sometimes, and if I lost 4,000 acres without pay, it would be worth getting my voice heard
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Yes, if it wouldn't negatively affect others (if I had young kids, for example). If I couldn't go to jail, I'd spring for the bail.
  • If it was something that affected my home and livelihood, yes. 
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper

Yes I would.

One of the most intolerable things to me is any form of injustice.  What's right is right and what's wrong is wrong.  If I believed in something with all of my heart, body and soul, I would stand up for myself and others to the very end and fight for what is mine.

This goes for friends, family, politics, religion, etc.....and AATB's farmland too!

• I honestly don't know if I could do it, but if your dad can, then all the more power to him.  I would also send some tips to national news organizations if possible.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • If I were in your parents' situation, then 100% yes I would.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:79dadd73-af77-4831-b800-309839eeb337">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I honestly don't know if I could do it, but if your dad can, then all the more power to him.  I would also send some tips to national news organizations if possible.
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]

The media around here has jumped on it so fast it's insane.  I'll be really, really surprised if the story doesn't get national attention.

They're just sick and tired of being forgotten.  ...It's kind of neat that they're doing this, actually.  This shiit is reminiscent of like the 60's or something.
    panther
  • marateamaratea member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Given the situation and the fact their lives are, essentially, being destroyed, then hell yes I would go to jail. And maybe if it brings national attention, something will finally be done.
  • LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    If it were something like this, where I was losing my property and livelihood, yes.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:adcef0a4-087f-4d69-a51a-7fde87f93435">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would you go to jail? : The media around here has jumped on it so fast it's insane.  I'll be really, really surprised if the story doesn't get national attention. They're just sick and tired of being forgotten.  ...It's kind of neat that they're doing this, actually.  <strong>This shiit is reminiscent of like the 60's or something.
    </strong>Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Yes!  It's sad that we no longer live in a time period that we don't stand up for ourselves as much as our parents and grandparents did. 

"you gotta fight for your right.....to faaaarrrrrmmmlaaaanndddd" (Beastie Boys voice)

• Given my current job that requires pretty strict security clearance, I would have to say no. But, if I were your parents hell yes I would. As a matter of fact, if they need bail money for any of the folks going, let me know and I'll mail you a check.

I only know about this from the information that you've posted, but it's disgusting what they are doing to your family and the families in that area. I hope that it does make national news, and forces them to resolve the problem. Your family and community are in my T&Ps and I truly hope that they take the threat of these people showing up seriously enough to step in before they have to attempt arresting thousands of people!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • If I was in that situation, I totally would do it.
  • Thank you so much dmiller!!!
    panther
  • Hell yes! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If my livelyhood was being knowingly taken away by an regulatory body and I wasn't being compensated for it, heck yes I'd protest/go to jail so long as I wasn't leaving dependents alone. 
    Anniversary
  • AATB, why isn't this getting the national coverage that the Mississippi River and its tributaries' flooding is getting?  I've been wondering about this for a while (every time I see the flood areas around there in the news).  I would have no idea all of this is going on if it wasn't for you.  If you've covered this in the past, sorry.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:63909a69-8f26-4a25-aefb-0e779d09513c">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]AATB, why isn't this getting the national coverage that the Mississippi River and its tributaries' flooding is getting?  I've been wondering about this for a while (every time I see the flood areas around there in the news).  I would have no idea all of this is going on if it wasn't for you.  If you've covered this in the past, sorry.
    Posted by TheCranberry[/QUOTE]

There are a few reasons - 1, there just aren't many people that live there.  It's a rural community, and their voices just aren't as loud.  2, the "drama" of the situation isn't big enough.  When Fargo had its 09 flood the nation's eyes turned to the region because a lot of water came and it came fast.  This flood has been a slow-moving, cancerous type flood.  And, 3 - people up here just have a different attitude, or outlook on life.  When it started coming up nearly two decades ago, people just dusted themselves off and dealt with it.  It kept coming up and they did what they had to do - moved their home, rented more land.  It's just getting to the point now where there is so much water, it's downright dangerous to live there.  So, how long does it take to really rattle some God-fearing, down-home country folk?  I guess 18 years!
    panther
  • Absolutely...without a doubt. I'd put my own cuffs on for something that meant so much to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've never been arrested protesting, but I've definitely been at protests of questionable legality where arrests could have happened. We thought about hanging out with the union protesters in Madison and helping them occupy the state house past the deadline when they were supposed to get out, but we decided we didn't want to get arrested because we wanted to go home and watch the Oscars. They ended up not arresting anybody anyway, and letting them stay in the building, which was cool.

Charlie got arrested protesting the RNC in New York once.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • If FI was in town ... Hell ya take me away. I would get arrested for it. When it comes down to this type of situation and how much it impacts everyone's life than it's well worth a night in jail. If my kids later in life want to know why I went to jail...well they will know what I did to protect my whole means of life.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:c3fd15a5-d344-4084-ad0e-3e26f2aeb1a6">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I would.  It seems like taking action is the only way to get your voice heard sometimes, and if I lost 4,000 acres without pay, it would be worth getting my voice heard
    Posted by aggiebug[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

The whole thing sounds so ridiculous. I really hope it gets national attention....I would like to hear more on what happens.
  • Are they going to get help and support now that Obama declared it a disaster area?  And yes, I'd be there too. 
  • Yes, not only because it would add to my street cred, but because it would garner the sort of attention the issue needs. Good luck to your dad!
  • In a situation as serious and close to heart/home as that, I can definitely understand why you would be willing to get arrested. Good luck to your dad and many thoughts to your family and the rest of those who are dealing with it!
  • I'm curious if the area in question is designated as a flood plain, and was it designated that prior to him purchasing the land?  If yes, and that occurred after his purchase, did he receive compensation at that time for the loss of land value or an offer to buy it back from the government?

I've been reading about the Birds Point issue in Missouri, that's the one where the Army decided to blow up a levee to flood up to 140,000 acres of farm land to save a small town of 3000.  Normally I'd be much more sympathetic to the farms since it seems to me 140,000 acres of food production is more important than 3000 people having to re-locate because a once in a century flood occurred (they have home owners insurance right? yeah probably not but that's not the flood or government's fault).  However, the area these farms are in, this 140,000 acres, has been designated as an area that would be intentionally flooded if needed and people chose to buy land there anyway, even after there have been floods of that area in the past.  The government bought what they could in the 1930's and a few decades of lawsuits later had 'flowage rights' to the land which said the land is still yours but we retain the rights to flood it if we need to.  Most never left, and 70 years later the Mississippi crested high enough that it became necessary to utilize the flood plain.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• I'd totally be there. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I totally think you're from the same town as my BIL.  Did your HS mascot just get changed (or was up to be changed) not too long ago?
    imageAnniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:30f5702d-e24c-46c3-a367-4ba922182ce4">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious if the area in question is designated as a flood plain, and was it designated that prior to him purchasing the land?  If yes, and that occurred after his purchase, did he receive compensation at that time for the loss of land value or an offer to buy it back from the government? I've been reading about the Birds Point issue in Missouri, that's the one where the Army decided to blow up a levee to flood up to 140,000 acres of farm land to save a small town of 3000.  Normally I'd be much more sympathetic to the farms since it seems to me 140,000 acres of food production is more important than 3000 people having to re-locate because a once in a century flood occurred (they have home owners insurance right? yeah probably not but that's not the flood or government's fault).  However, the area these farms are in, this 140,000 acres, has been designated as an area that would be intentionally flooded if needed and people chose to buy land there anyway, even after there have been floods of that area in the past.  The government bought what they could in the 1930's and a few decades of lawsuits later had 'flowage rights' to the land which said the land is still yours but we retain the rights to flood it if we need to.  Most never left, and 70 years later the Mississippi crested high enough that it became necessary to utilize the flood plain.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

You should google it - the Devils Lake Basin, vegas.  It is a lake bed - however, the people could not have known it when they settled there over a hundred years ago.  From what they can tell, the lake has behaved this way a handful of times over the past several thousand years.

At any rate - even though the communities are settled in a lake bed, it has never historically reached this level.  Why?  Because when it came up, the Corps of Engineers started building dikes to keep it back and raising roads and such.  In essence, they've created a much bigger problem now because they have more water than they know how to deal with.  The reason it isn't released is because no one downstream wants the water (the river flows south, and then into the Red River, which flows north into Canada).  That argument held water (haha) for several years, and up until the last couple years people just accepted it.  Now, they don't care anymore. 

If the lake rises four more feet it will flow uncontrolled into the river and flood all the communities downstream.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_would-jail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f8a1b07f-f0ba-4660-9f12-2aad140bdfabPost:355ed6e1-cf2d-4d23-b0b1-6a7f9bb93bab">Re: Would you go to jail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally think you're from the same town as my BIL.  Did your HS mascot just get changed (or was up to be changed) not too long ago?
    Posted by kyurcek[/QUOTE]

The Satans? Yup.
    panther
  • Yup, that's them!  There was a map I found not long ago online showing the old and new look of that area... it's amazing (not in a good way, obviously) how much land has been covered by the water!  Good luck to your dad!
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards