Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake and Cupcakes?

Ok so here's the deal....

I'm paying for the majority of the wedding myself. My mother offered to take care of the reception, but I've budgeted for the cake. I'm honestly going sheet cakes with simple buttercream icing and DIY cake jewelry. Well I don't think I like the way a full, half, quarter, and eighth will look stacked....(If I even want to stack it)

We're figuring for no more than 85 people (including the wedding party) and the bakery i'm looking at quotes a half to serve 25-30 and quarter to serve 10-15. The eighth will be our top tier to be saved for our one year.

That puts me at a dilemma for the other 40 some people at my reception and I automatically thought cupcakes would be an easy solution.

Does this sound like a bad idea?

Any suggestions as to how to set it up on the cake table?

Please HELP!!!
Thanks in Advance ;)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake and Cupcakes?

• melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think first of all, the dollar amount you've allowed for cake will be a huge factor in this.

Secondly, that's a lot of mixing and matching cakes and cupcakes and sizes and things like that.  While I'm all for changing it up a bit, sometimes mix-matched things just look MISmatched and not trendy or awesome, you know?

I'd consider ALL cupcakes, if I were you, with the a top small  cake being for your anniversary, OR, coordinating cakes in varying sizes placed on cake stands of varying heights.  However, round cakes generally look better for this and they do not feed as many per cake.  You COULD find cake stands (or make them, which would be relatively easy) that fit a sheet cake, half sheet, and quarter sheet and kind of "stair step" them with the largest being the highest, and in the back, and so forth.

Good luck!
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    So 45 people will eat sheet cake and the remaining 40 people will eat cupcakes? I would not recommend this. Everyone should eat the same type of cake.
  • edited December 2011
    I am not trying to be rude but I think if you stacked sheet cakes it would come across as being cheap.  People would immediately know you were pinching a penny there. 

I also agree with Lisa that people should be offered the same type of dessert.  It is just fair that way. The only reason I would deviate from this is if you wanted to give adults cake and cupcakes to kids to make it more fun for them.

Could you just do a small 2 tier cake for you display cake that you cut and keep the top tier and then have sheet cakes in the back to serve to guests.  That would still be pretty affordable in my book.

Also, I am making a faux cake for display to save money and serving my guests sheet cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with rknox88. It would look cheap.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a 3 tier cake.  The bottom tier is cake the top 2 are fake (we aren't doing the save the top tier thing).  After we do the ceremonial cake cutting the cake will be taken to the back where the bottom tier and a sheet cake that is kept out site will be cut and then brought out for service.  We ordered less cake that the number invited.  We can order another sheet (or half, quarter, whatever) up to 10 days before the wedding if we need more cake.  Saving money this way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:2ee0e6cd-4639-4ccb-ab68-7805765ad8f6">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a 3 tier cake.  The bottom tier is cake the top 2 are fake (we aren't doing the save the top tier thing).  After we do the ceremonial cake cutting the cake will be taken to the back where the bottom tier and a sheet cake that is kept out site will be cut and then brought out for service.  We ordered less cake that the number invited.  We can order another sheet (or half, quarter, whatever) up to 10 days before the wedding if we need more cake.  Saving money this way.
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

You can tell the difference between a slice of sheet cake vs from a tier cake. Why would you order less cake than the number of people invited. Will some guests not receive cake?
  • edited December 2011
    To answer some of the above questions/address some of the statements:
    1. In 99.9% of the cases you can tell a difference between the sheet cake and the tier cake as Lisa8888 stated.  The tier cake slice will be 4" high x 2" deep x 1" wide and the sheet cake slice will be 2" x 2" x 2".  Same square inches of cake, but in a different shape.  In 0.01% of the cases the bakery will prepare the sheet cakes to be identical to the tier cake.  Ask you bakery how they handle this.

2. It is typical to order less cake than people invited.  Usually not everyone invited shows (this where getting the RSVP back more than 2 weeks before the wedding comes in handy).

3. The option that mysticl mentions is usually more expensive than just ordering a tier cake to serve all your guests.  You are basicly paying for the cake twice (first to decorate and second on the sheet cakes in the back).  Every once in a while there is a bakery that offers this at a discount, but I don't understand why - they are losing money on this every time.

rknox88 is making her own display cake and then only having sheet cakes.  This would be a cheaper option for you since you are doing the work.

Your best bet (if you concern is keeping it on the inexpensive side) is to either buy your cake or cupcakes from a grocery store.  Wal-mart's cupcakes are really cheap.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Lisa, I know you can tell the difference, I'm just saying we are keeping it in the back so people don't see it.  This is actual a very common practice at a lot of weddings.  There is no way we could pay for a fancy tiered cake to feed everyone.   And my crowd isn't going to get offended if they are given sheet cake versus round cake.  If you had paid closer attention to my post you would see that we have the option of increasing our order before the wedding.  We ordered less cake than people invited because we know some of them will not come.  My FI invited his whole work department and some of them will have to work that day but right now he doesn't know who so rather than guess they all get an invite.  We do not expect all of our relatives to make it.  Once we have our RSVPs we will call the baker and increase the order amount if needed.  We didn't want to get locked into a price on the cake and then be left with a ton not eaten becasue we ordered 50 more servings than needed. 

Cai, for my baker it is cheaper to do it this way.  The place we are using is a small, by appointment, custom orders only operation.  She doesn't have a bakery you can just walk into and buy a dozen cookies or a 9 inch round cake.  She likes to help her clients out any way she can. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    OP - I fall under the all sheet cake or cupcakes category. Don't stack the sheet cakes - that sounds like a recipe for disaster... or practice doing it first and see what it looks like.

If you're trying to save money, why not just display one tier of cake, and leave the rest as sheet cakes in the back? That way you've got something to cut, and you don't need to worry about prettying up everything that's in the back.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:1c683b40-673a-4996-ab19-2a7022b65045">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lisa, I know you can tell the difference, I'm just saying we are keeping it in the back so people don't see it.  This is actual a very common practice at a lot of weddings.  There is no way we could pay for a fancy tiered cake to feed everyone.   And my crowd isn't going to get offended if they are given sheet cake versus round cake.  If you had paid closer attention to my post you would see that we have the option of increasing our order before the wedding.  We ordered less cake than people invited because we know some of them will not come.  My FI invited his whole work department and some of them will have to work that day but right now he doesn't know who so rather than guess they all get an invite.  We do not expect all of our relatives to make it.  Once we have our RSVPs we will call the baker and increase the order amount if needed.  We didn't want to get locked into a price on the cake and then be left with a ton not eaten becasue we ordered 50 more servings than needed.  Cai, for my baker it is cheaper to do it this way.  The place we are using is a small, by appointment, custom orders only operation.  She doesn't have a bakery you can just walk into and buy a dozen cookies or a 9 inch round cake.  She likes to help her clients out any way she can. 
    Posted by mysticl[/QUOTE]

When you say that you are having the sheet cake kept in the back so people won't see it...that means to me that you are trying to hide it. I don't think this is a common practice at all.

Getting back to the original OP, the OP  said she is planning on serving some guests sheet cake and the remaining guests capcakes. I have never heard of that. I think it is wrong to serve sheet cake to some guests and cupcakes to other guests. I don't see the logic in this.

I understand people try to save money but I think this would be tacky. It doesn't cost much to provide a regular wedding cake for 80 guests. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Actually,  what she is doing IS becoming more and more common.  People are opting to have one smaller tiered cake (or just an ornately decorated cake without multiple tiers) to display and cut for the bride and groom feeding, but then have their caterer (or whoever is handling the cake) cut and serve from sheet cakes in the back. 

Many well established bakeries SUGGEST this to couples who are on a tight cake budget.

It's not my thing, because a huge, dramatic, jaw-dropping cake was something we want (and were willing to pay for), but it's NOT at all uncommon.  It's no more "hiding" it than anything else that is served to guests but not set out in the main room. 
    10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    I live in the midwest and the sheet cake in the back is super common.  It usually isn't because the bride and groom want to trick their guests into thinking they are getting the tiered cake (because usually you can tell a major difference) it is just more for esthetics.  It isn't pretty or entertaining to watch people cut up a sheet cake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do all cupcakes.  Maybe have a small cake on top of your cupcake stand so you have something to cut for photos.  But try to serve the same thing to your guests.  Or skip the traditional route and have a dessert table with an array of different desserts from which your guests can choose (different small sheet cakes, cupcakes, fruits, cookies).

I have definitely been to bakers where they offered a small display cake for pictures and a large matching sheet cake in back for serving.  It's a lot cheaper for them to decorate a large sheet cake and a small 2-tiered wedding cake than a huge 4-tiered wedding cake.  I didn't go that route, but it's common enough.  If the sheet cake flavor is the same as the display cake, you should be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:522711be-77a0-4c9b-8681-16abc930edcd">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : When you say that you are having the sheet cake kept in the back so people won't see it...that means to me that you are trying to hide it. I don't think this is a common practice at all. Getting back to the original OP, the OP  said she is planning on serving some guests sheet cake and the remaining guests capcakes. I have never heard of that. I think it is wrong to serve sheet cake to some guests and cupcakes to other guests. I don't see the logic in this. I understand people try to save money but I think this would be tacky. It doesn't cost much to provide a regular wedding cake for 80 guests. 
    Posted by Lisa8888[/QUOTE]

It's actually incredibly common - I think I've seen it recommended in practically every wedding magazine. Martha, Modern Bride, the Knot... you name it. If you've been to enough weddings, I guarantee you've been served from the cake at the back.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:a0b46996-69bc-4ba6-94a9-a760b556f53a">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : It's actually incredibly common - I think I've seen it recommended in practically every wedding magazine. Martha, Modern Bride, the Knot... you name it. If you've been to enough weddings, I guarantee you've been served from the cake at the back.
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

I guarantee you I have not been served cake from the back.
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:793359cc-53e4-4891-a5cf-8f3b0a1d915f">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : I guarantee you I have not been served cake from the back.

Well then you are in a minority.  In the past few years, I've been to weddings across the country (Boston, San Francisco, Cleveland, Chicago and Cincinnati) and at every income level (church reception hall to a Four Season's wedding in Boston and Chicago Renaissance wedding ) and at six of the seven, I've been served sheet cake from the back.  Nobody thought any less of it or of the bride.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:793359cc-53e4-4891-a5cf-8f3b0a1d915f">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : I guarantee you I have not been served cake from the back.

Do you believe that things taste better the more visible they are, or are just more socially acceptable?

10-10-10
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, what's with the snotty revulsion towards a cake shape?

Honey, unless you've been standing in the back when they've cut the cake up at every wedding you've been to, how on earth would you know? That's the whole point of using sheet cakes. They're used at weddings, state dinners, you name it.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not BSC & appearance obsessed and hope that you believe a sheet cake is just one of those things you buy in Costco or from a grocery store. And yes, those are a kind of sheet cake. But here's the thing, what fundamentally makes a sheet cake is its shape. So, what people often do for weddings is get their cake baker to do a cake to put on display and then, using the exact same recipe, they'll then make another cake or two that isn't put on display.  It tastes exactly the same... because it IS exactly the same.

If she were suggesting baking two different kinds of cake, one nicer than the other, then I would be in total agreement with tackidom. But, that's not at all what's being suggested here. There's no bait and switch. You're eating exactly what you think you're eating.

If you don't believe me to the lack of tackiness, I'll include a couple of links for your perusal:

Martha suggests it

And what the Knot has to say
  • edited December 2011
    i like the idea of all cupcakes - mainly because i can't picture staked sheet cakes looking quite right.

that, or do a decorative cake (possibly with fake tiers to cut costs) and cut the sheet cakes in the kitchen.  i know there seems to be a great debate about that, but i've been to alot of weddings where this is happened - some due to pure logistics.  my FSIL had a cheesecake wedding cake, and they had to keep sheets in the back in the cooler...because who wants to eat cheesecake that's been sitting in a reception hall for a couple hours?  ick.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:20a2bb78-8762-446e-880a-887fc84a5671">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, what's with the snotty revulsion towards a cake shape? Honey, unless you've been standing in the back when they've cut the cake up at every wedding you've been to, how on earth would you know? That's the whole point of using sheet cakes. They're used at weddings, state dinners, you name it. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not BSC & appearance obsessed and hope that you believe a sheet cake is just one of those things you buy in Costco or from a grocery store. And yes, those are a kind of sheet cake. But here's the thing, what fundamentally makes a sheet cake is its shape. So, what people often do for weddings is get their cake baker to do a cake to put on display and then, using the exact same recipe, they'll then make another cake or two that isn't put on display.  It tastes exactly the same... because it IS exactly the same. If she were suggesting baking two different kinds of cake, one nicer than the other, then I would be in total agreement with tackidom. But, that's not at all what's being suggested here. There's no bait and switch. You're eating exactly what you think you're eating. If you don't believe me to the lack of tackiness, I'll include a couple of links for your perusal: Martha suggests it And what the Knot has to say
    Posted by kaesha[/QUOTE]

The OP is not just planning on using sheet cakes. The OP is planning on providing 45 of her guests sheet cake and the remaining 40 guests cup cakes.  So she is suggesting 2 different types of cakes.

The links you provided are suggesting the use of sheetcakes for weddings on a budget.  That doesn't mean sheet cakes are the norm. The standard is still a tiered cake.

I understand exactly what a sheet cake is. And is it visually obvious if you have a slice of sheet cake vs a slice of tiered cake. You don't have to be a witness to the cutting of the slices to know that you have been given a slice of sheet cake or tiered cake.

I don't think its fair for you to say I have a snotty revulsion about cake shape when my comments were about serving half of the guests sheet cake and the other half cup cakes and I am entitled to have a personal opinion about the use of sheet cakes. 
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:8437b701-34d2-472b-90bb-c69940f67d80">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : The OP is not just planning on using sheet cakes. The OP is planning on providing 45 of her guests sheet cake and the remaining 40 guests cup cakes.  So she is suggesting 2 different types of cakes. The links you provided are suggesting the use of sheetcakes for weddings on a budget.  That doesn't mean sheet cakes are the norm. The standard is still a tiered cake. I understand exactly what a sheet cake is. And is it visually obvious if you have a slice of sheet cake vs a slice of tiered cake. You don't have to be a witness to the cutting of the slices to know that you have been given a slice of sheet cake or tiered cake. I don't think its fair for you to say I have a snotty revulsion about cake shape when my comments were about serving half of the guests sheet cake and the other half cup cakes and I am entitled to have a personal opinion about the use of sheet cakes. 

1.  She didn't say she was using cupcakes for half, she asked us if we thought it would be alright.  You are the one who took this thread in another direction.  It was your third and fourth posts on this thread, not the first one, that did it.

2.   Not everyone can afford to spend a fortune on every aspect of a wedding.  Most of us here, I would bet, are budget brides or have been to budget weddings.

3.  You have the right to post your opinion and we have the right to think that your attitude is snotty.  Who the hell cares what shape your cake is???
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-cupcakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:91ce308a-88e5-4bed-8974-92c7dab804b9Post:8437b701-34d2-472b-90bb-c69940f67d80">Re: Cake and Cupcakes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cake and Cupcakes? : The OP is not just planning on using sheet cakes. The OP is planning on providing 45 of her guests sheet cake and the remaining 40 guests cup cakes.  So she is suggesting 2 different types of cakes. The links you provided are suggesting the use of sheetcakes for weddings on a budget.  That doesn't mean sheet cakes are the norm. The standard is still a tiered cake. I understand exactly what a sheet cake is. And is it visually obvious if you have a slice of sheet cake vs a slice of tiered cake. You don't have to be a witness to the cutting of the slices to know that you have been given a slice of sheet cake or tiered cake. I don't think its fair for you to say I have a snotty revulsion about cake shape when my comments were about serving half of the guests sheet cake and the other half cup cakes and I am entitled to have a personal opinion about the use of sheet cakes. 

1) Your logic is faulty. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's not a norm. 

I would tell you that I worked in wedding cakes for 4 years at the beginning of the decade, that my team did loads of weddings for embassadors' children, people in our neighbourhood and clients of all income brackets, but you seem so convinced by your rightness that I'm not sure that telling you this would make a lick of difference.

2) If this was just about the OP, I wouldn't be calling your attitude snotty. Your f/u posts did that for you. If you sincerely thought you weren't giving off attitude in your writing, then you need to review what was written here and ask yourself why so many people are upset with you.

For an example, let's just look at your last response. You do know how offensive the idea that because something is a budget solution, it can't be a norm is, right?  It's deeply offensive. It's elitist, material and more importantly, it's just plain wrong.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Back to your ORIGINAL question hun:  I think if you make some cake stands, one for a half sheet (or two), one for a 1/4 sheet (which to picture - is the standard for a kid's birthday party cake), and one stand for your top tier, so to speak - make them different heights will be a nice way to display the cakes.    

Just because your cakes are square instead of the traditional round does not mean it will not look nice.  If nothing else, get different heights of sturdy cardboard boxes, arrange them on the table, cover/drape them with fabric in your wedding colors, and set the cakes on top!  Put the largest sheet in front-lowest height, the middle in the middle height spot, the top on the top.  

As I said, if you need two half sheets, or an extra 1/4 sheet, check with your bakery to see how late you can add to the order.  BTW - are you sure about those quotes?  I have seen a 1/4 sheet feed at least 20-25, a half sheet feeds about 50 if I am not mistaken, unless those were big slices they are estimating.

Whatever you choose - I am sure it will be lovely!

Anniversary
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Abby's idea of the stands is really good.  Stacking sheet cakes may be tricky because the weight of the top ones could crush the lower ones.  Tiered cakes have support structures in them to keep this from happening.  As a result the center of each tier isn't served, it's kinda chewed up when you pull out the wood or plastic supports.  To put these supports in sheet cakes you could end losing a lot of what you were going to serve and end up needing more cake.  I don't bake cakes (other than for home consumption) put I have taken the fancy ones apart to serve.  I also agree on the servings per a cake.  I've served 20+ out of a quarter and still had some left over. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're doing a teired cake and cupcakes that match the tiered cake.

It's really about what you feel best about - because at the end of the day, someone is going to be unhappy.... do you want that person to be you? or would you rather look back and  be completely happy with the way everything went.

If you're worried about money - don't get something extravagant and regret the expense at the end of the night.

If someone complains, that's not your fault. Are they paying for it? no. So it shouldn't matter.

I like the idea of mixing things up, but really - do whatever makes you and your husband feel best about the situation.

HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Wow....
      Ummm....You guys certainly left me a lot to read. I've changed my mind and I am only doing one tier to save mainly just for my beautiful cake topper. I am going to do cupcakes.
       I don't think I'm willing to sacrifice the look because of my budget. I was thinking more about price than what'll look amazing.
                                       Thank you!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards