Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cake cost!

Is it just me or are wedding cakes super expensive?! I haven't found anything under $5/slice, which is a whopping $700 for our 140 person wedding. All we want is something simple, no fancy decorations - what kind of prices did other people find?

Re: cake cost!

• edited December 2011
    If you haven't, post this over on your local board. Prices vary greatly from region to region. FWIW, I paid 210$ in Hawaii for a cake that served 50.

We had 30 guests and the breakfast of champions for a week.
  • hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agreed with pp.

My 4 tier round cake and single sheet cake served 220 and was $350 (plus $50 for delivery).  It really depends on your region.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Prices range from $3.00-$5.00 + depending on your region and the skill level of the baker.  Remember, you are not just paying for flour, sugar and eggs...you are paying for the bakers professional skills and the labor involved in creating a tiered cake- simply or inticate.
  • ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Exactly what PP's have said it depends on region. I'm paying $463 ($2.50/slice) for a four-tier hexagonal cake frosted in buttercream, a single-tiered groom's cake, sugar seashells, top-tier freezer box, cake stand, and delivery. 

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $5 a slice seems expensive....can you do a smaller wedding cake and get a sheet cake to feed the majority of your guests? That is what we are doing.

I think the wedding cake is $3.25 a slice, and the sheet cake is half the price per slice.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DanielleZZDanielleZZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is a cheaper option: I am having a "show cake" (small 2 tiers 8", for FI and I to cut infront of everyone) and then buying sheet cakes from COSTO for $18 each (feeds 50pp) that the venue will cut up and serve from the kitchen.

If you really want a full cake try grocery store type places (like Krogern) instead of a bakery they are usually cheaper especially if you want something simple.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • mmady84mmady84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a cake designer in NYC, I charge a minimum of 4.00 per slice on buttercream cakes and $ 6.00 on fondant cakes, not only is it sugar, flower, etc. But each of these cakes range in 8-50 hours to create, so you are also paying for the labor costs as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I wish we could get ours for $5/slice!  Ours is going to be $7/slice plus delivery, and it's the cheapest we got that still tasted good!  Granted, ours has custard, ganache, and mousse fillings with a hand-pieced fondant mosaic on the outside.  It's about as customized as you can get.
  • ckonidakckonidak member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

In Seattle the cost is about $4-7/serving.... however we found a fantastic baker that bakes mini-cheesecakes for $3.40 each. Completely delicious and unique! And she does a zillion flavors. No bored palates at my wedding! Good luck, and try to think outside the box if you're looking for other options! :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I have posted this recommendation on lots of posts already, but I want to repeat it here because I am just blown away by what a good deal this is. 

Ask your baker if they'll do a faux cake.  The way it works is the cake looks like it's three or four tiers, but only the top tier is made of actual cake.  The rest is just fondant covered styrofoam.  You and the groom get to cut into the top piece and do the photo op, the the waiters remove the cake and "slice it" in the back.  But in the back they really just slice up sheet cake.  

My sheet cakes were 1.00 per slice.  The exact same flavor would have been 6.00 per slice if it were in the real cake. The fake cake was about 150 and then we got 100 slices of sheet cake.  Saved us a bundle. It's going to look beautiful and no one will ever know!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid about $800 for a cake that served 175, which was a great price (to me).

If you're on a budget, I heard that CostCo cakes are tasty.

If you live anywhere near an Asian bakery, they can usually do cakes that cost significantly less than western bakeries.  In San Francisco, some of those places do decked-out buttercream frosted cakes for $2/slice.
  • junebug62511junebug62511 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My cake is only costing $1 per person because we are having an amateur do it who makes them right out of her own home (and does a beautiful job). If there is a college near by that has a culinary program, maybe you could find an amateur who would love the opportunity to make a wedding cake. Just make sure its not the first one they  have ever done, and they might even have a portfolio of all the other work they have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards