Attire & Accessories Forum

Designer shoes for wedding?

Need help... I'm really wanting to buy a pair of designer shoes for my wedding. I have never spent more than $50-75 on a pair of shoes, and I don't wear heels all that often except for special occasions, girls nights out etc etc... But I kind of want to treat myself to a really amazing pair of shoes for the big day. My mom thinks this is ridiculous, and spending over $100 on something you wear on your feet is crazy. My FI thinks its a little weird to spend that much on my shoes but he said that I should have my dream shoes to go with my dream dress, and says I should get whatever I want as long as I can afford it.

I've found two pairs that I'm absolutely in LOOOVE with: the Badgley Mischka Salsa pump in teal (we're having a peacock theme) which is about $200-$300: shown here http://www.bridefinds.com/files/2011/11/Badgley-Mischka-Salsa-Pump.jpg, and the Manolo Blahnik Sedaraby d'orsay pump in royal blue, which is about $700-$800: http://g-lvl3.nordstromimage.com/imagegallery/store/product/Large/6/_6700186.jpg

I'd be buying these on my own (my mom is paying for the majority of the wedding), but she's completely against it... Help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Designer shoes for wedding?

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I guess I'm not sure what you're asking for help with?  If you want designer shoes, buy the designer shoes.  Personally, I agree with your mom, but I'm not a shoe person AT ALL.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• This is why, I too, planned from the start to buy some wedding things even though, basically, my parents are paying. Mom and I aren't close enough anymore to go bra shopping together, for example, and I hate just submitting receipts like they're just a bank.

Find something you love your mother's never seen. Don't show her or tell her. If she asks, say you bought your shoes so she doesn't have to worry. If she asks for details, say you want it to be a surprise. If she asks how much you spent, say you paid a price you thought was fair or a good deal. Then change the subject.
  • pattib5pattib5 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    If you're buying your shoes, they why do you care what your mom has to say about them? Just buy the shoes and don't tell her what you spent on them. Frankly it's none of her business.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm not really sure what you're asking here...  

Do you want advice on whether to buy the designer shoes or not?  If that's your question I'm with your fiance, I think it's silly to spend so much on shoes, but if you can afford it then go for it!

Do you want opinions on which of the two you should get?  I think they're really similar, so being the frugal person I am I'd vote for the Badgley-Mischka since they're less than half the price of the others.  Plus I like the sparkly decoration on them a bit better than the other.  :)

Are you asking how to handle your Mom?  Decide on your own shoe budget, stick to it, show off the shoes to her once you find them and just don't tell her what you spent.  If she's not paying for them then it really doesn't affect her and isn't any of her business.

I think I covered all the bases.  So, whatever your question was, HTH.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You are over a year out - Badgley's go on sale all the time on sites like ideeli, hautelook, beyondtherack, myhabit, gilt and ruelala.  In fact, Ideeli has some today that are like 50 dollars - but not the salsa pumps.  I've also seen them on sale at Nordstroms... watch for sales - look everyday.  That is exactly what I did because I felt I just HAD to have designer shoes.  I picked out a pair of badgley's and waited patiently until I saw them for a decent price and snagged them.  In fact I snagged 2.  

As for your mom, its your feet and she doesnt have to wear them.  If this is something you want, just make it happen and she'll need to understand that this is what makes you happy and it was important to you.  If you pay for it yourself, what kind of argument could she have, your happiness should be priceless :)

Good luck :)
  • Badgley's do go on sale pretty often.

I say go for it, but shoes are my weakness.  I have found that my more 'designer' shoes are more comfortable in the long run... but again, that's just me. 

If you're paying for it, then pick the shoes that you love and are comfortable in, designer or no designer.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_designer-shoes-for-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:51c0c49b-19db-41ab-93e8-fc2e2796f081Post:97fab28e-ca93-4d56-8488-e75e2e487866">Re: Designer shoes for wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You are over a year out - Badgley's go on sale all the time on sites like ideeli, hautelook, beyondtherack, myhabit, gilt and ruelala.</strong>  In fact, Ideeli has some today that are like 50 dollars - but not the salsa pumps.  I've also seen them on sale at Nordstroms... watch for sales - look everyday.  That is exactly what I did because I felt I just HAD to have designer shoes.  I picked out a pair of badgley's and waited patiently until I saw them for a decent price and snagged them.  In fact I snagged 2.   As for your mom, its your feet and she doesnt have to wear them.  If this is something you want, just make it happen and she'll need to understand that this is what makes you happy and it was important to you.  If you pay for it yourself, what kind of argument could she have, your happiness should be priceless :) Good luck :)
    Posted by timsflower81[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think if you wait, you'll be able to get your designer shoes for a lot less!

</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you want the shoes, and you can afford to buy the shoes, buy the shoes. I get where you Mom may be coming from, but if it's your feet and your money, she really doesn't have much say.

Like others have said, wait for sales, you can get amazing deals.
  • Yes .. beyond the rack has them for way less and runs sales every week or two. Join and watch your emails!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards