June 2012 Weddings

First dance song recommendations?

So...one month until the wedding and we don't have a first dance song.  We started talking about it last night, and FI doesn't have any firm song suggestions.  He DOES, however, want something slow, sappy, and romantic.  Something along the lines of Butterfly Kisses, but for us.

Our biggest problem, I think, is that the songs that we both sing along to that speak to us really aren't appropriate first dance songs (e.g. Little Smirk by Theory of a Deadman, or pretty much anything by Shinedown.  Yeah.).  We tried really hard to come up with ideas last night, and I've been searching song lists today, but we haven't found anything so far.

Does anyone have any recommendations?  It doesn't HAVE to be super slow (mid-paced and a little "bouncy" could be fine), we just really need some ideas to start with - songs, artists, or even search suggestions.
Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI

Re: First dance song recommendations?

• I love Frank Sinatra, so Fi is letting me play  his songs at our wedding. Mi and I are doing "They way you look tonight" by him.
    He does have another one called"Sway" that I really like too and is a bit more bouncy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Some of the sappier songs we considered were "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel and "Such Great Heights", if you want bouncy, the Postal Service, slower, Iron & Wine. 

I'm trying to think of what other songs were on our list...my FI only seems to have sad love longs!
  • So I really have no idea what our first dance is. FI picked the song and it is a surprise to me... However, we are using the following sons in our ceremony.

Jason Mraz I'm Yours
    Jack Johnson- Better Together
    Adam Sandler-Wanna Grow Old with you

Maybe those will help.
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    This is the most complete list I found, even though most of their suggestions kinda blow.

• We had a hard time picking too but FI can't really dance so we had to pick a song that we could just walk around in a cirlce to. We chose "must be doing something right" by Billy Currington. Country song, my guys is southern. 
  • We are using  Daughtry's  What About Now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our first dance song is "All or Nothing" by Theory Of A Deadman.
  • Sorry PB I'm not much help, we specifically didn't want mushy so went with Dropkick Murphys.
  • ncd5015ncd5015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We're doing a song by James Morrison. He has some other songs that might work

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were originally going to go with Halo by Beyonce because the lyrics are us to a T.

However, we decided to change it as not many people seem to like it so we chose Free by Zac Brown Band (and FI doesn't really care for country). We also have Staind playing for our recessional out of the church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    June 2012 May Siggy Challenge: The invitations
    image 126 Are ready to party!
  • Michael Buble has some great songs.  "Everything" has sweet lyrics and is a little more upbeat.  We're doing "You and I" by him, which is super slow.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like some PPs said, I was going to suggest iron and wine or the postal service (a little bit more "bouncy")

Joshua Radin songs are always nice and sappy :) that's what we are dancing to. Jason Mraz? Michael Buble?
    A+K
    "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire."
    --St. Catherine of Siena
  • You could check  to see if any of the songs you & FI like that maybe don't have the tempo you like/need have been covered by someone else. Often a song will get a different feel when it's done by a different artist.

• We're dancing to "You and Me" by Dave Matthews Band.  It's "our" song, and while the lyrics are somewhat sappy, it's still kind of a bouncy, upbeat song.
  • "All In" by Lifehouse. It is a little faster, but you can dance very slow to it also if you can't dance faster it would work.
  • So sorry, not All In I wrote the wrong song title... it is "By Your Side" by Lifehouse...
  • your taste in music sounds the same as fi's and mine.  so what we picked is "can't help falling in love", but it's a cover by ub40, i believe.  so it kinda has a beach party vibe to it.  i think it's fun.
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    These are the ones we had looked into and kinda liked:

History In The Making by Darius Rucker.
    Hold My Hand by Hootie And The Blowfish.
    Can't Help Falling In Love With You by Stray Cats.
    When You Love A Woman by Journey.
    What A Little Bit Of Love Can Do by Jeff Bridges.
    Everything But Love by Jeff Bridges.
    More Than Love by Los Lonely Boys.
    Thing Called Love by The Darkness. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we're dancing to "you for me" by johnny gil
    Mashavoo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards