North Carolina-Outer Banks

Honeymoon?

I posted this on the honeymoon board too, but wanted to see what other OBX brides are doing as far as the honeymoon goes...

I am getting married in the Outer Banks, NC where we will be staying in a huge home with our immediate family (28 people total) prior to the wedding (we are staying Sun-Sun and the wedding is Friday night).  My fiancee and I are trying to figure out what to do about a honeymoon, since our wedding is already a vacation, albeit with our families.  We are deciding between (a) doing it right after the wedding, even though we have already been on a vacation for a week but it would give us time alone; or (b) waiting until November/Decemberish to do a honeymoon either to Hawaii or Steamboat for some skiing or something. 

Re: Honeymoon?

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were originally going to wait until this spring to go on a honeymoon since we had a week in the OBX also.  But then I found a great deal on a hawaiian cruise 2 weeks after our wedding.  Plus I decided to go back to school and since the fall was already a wash because of the wedding, we figured we may as well just do the cruise so I could start school in January and not worry about a spring honeymoon.  We had a Sun-Sun rental.  Came home for 12 days, and worked during that time, then flew to Hawaii and was gone for 16 days.  

Do whatever works out best for you guys.  If you have the time to take off for a honeymoon right after, go for it.  If you need the time to save money and vacation days, wait until the winter. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • dwfangirldwfangirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a similar situation to you... we are renting a house Sat-Sat with a Thursday wedding, with a good group of family and friends staying for most if not all of the week.  We are still taking a honeymoon right after... I think even though the week of the wedding is going to be sort of a vacation, there will still be enough going on that it's not going to be relaxing per se.  With all of the stress and events ahead in the next 8 weeks until the wedding, we are both really looking forward to the honeymoon where we can lay on the beach and recharge!  But, as PP said, if going a few months after works out better for you, do that!  
  • edited December 2011
    We're staying in our rental (alone) for two weeks.  We'll have a little less than a week before our wedding and then just over a week after our wedding.  Most of our guests will leave a few days after the wedding, so we'll have plenty of time for it to just be us.

FI starts med school shortly after our wedding really can't afford to be away much longer than that.  We have talked about trying to get away again over Christmas break when it's a little less stressful.

I think you just have to do what feels right for you two!
    06.24.11 OBX, NC
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio
  • princesskmpprincesskmp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in October and have decided to call our honeymoons part 1 and 2.  The wedding is on a Sunday and we will stay in the OBX until Saturday.  We have rented a place just for the 2 of us but we have friends and family that will stay the entire week as well.   The destination for honeymoon part 2 is still to be determined (though St. Lucia is at the top of the list), but we want to go in January or February to escape the DC winter.  It will also be right after my most stressful time at work so it will be something nice for us to look forward to.  
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_honeymoon-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:189c6770-97cc-467c-a6e3-bd8c1c4bd1faPost:4f389c2b-26cf-431a-8c1e-e8faf908a2e3">Re: Honeymoon?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are getting married in October and have decided to call our <strong>honeymoons part 1 and 2.  The wedding is on a Sunday and we will stay in the OBX until Saturday.  We have rented a place just for the 2 of us but we have friends and family that will stay the entire week as well.</strong>   The destination for honeymoon part 2 is still to be determined (though St. Lucia is at the top of the list), but we want to go in January or February to escape the DC winter.  It will also be right after my most stressful time at work so it will be something nice for us to look forward to.  
    Posted by princesskmp[/QUOTE]

We are doing exactly THIS too. Our wedding is on a Sunday in October, but we are renting our own house on the beach for the week following the wedding, but we are taking "part 2" in February.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a sun-sun rental with a friday wedding.  We had hoped to take a honeymoon 2 weeks after the wedding but unfortunately Brents boss isnt too happy that he is taking a week for his own wedding, yes his boss can be a real stinker, so we are going to wait until Jan or Feb. It actually works out b/c we get to leave the cold winter behind and re-experience our wedding all over again....very excited

We are thinking St Lucia too but are having trouble deciding on which resort to stay at....

• edited December 2011
    Hi,

We got married in August and stayed in our rental house with DH's family for a week.   We haven't taken our honeymoon yet.  We are just starting to try to plan one now.  I wanted to go to Hawaii, but he thinks that is too far, we live in NY and will lose a day on either end to get there and back.  Now we are thinking of Bermuda which is only about a 2 hour flight.   I don't want to spend as much to go to Bermuda as I would have been willing to to go to Hawaii.  I looked into Bermuda and am finding that some of the places there will be just as pricey as a trip to Hawaii.   Now I am not sure what to do.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards