North Carolina

Reception venues in Raleigh not working out :(

So I called Caffe Luna and they won't work out for a Saturday lunch reception, b/c they are closed. They can do it for a $3,000 minimum, but I plan on having a small reception around 40 people and that is just way over the budget. After 5 it is only half that, but I am definitely sticking to a lunch or brunch reception. So I checked into Humble Pie, and the same thing, they aren't open then and don't come in for parties that small. I really wanted Caffe Luna :(

So I am waiting to hear back from Second Empire and Fearrington is sending me a packet with info. I am pretty sure Fearrington is going to be too much. If these don't look like they will work out, anyone know anywhere else worth checking into that aren't as well known or that I am just missing? I would prefer a restaurant without a fee or outrageous minimum and already has a pretty atmosphere. I liked the fact that many of these were $20-$30 a head, so that is the budget I would like to stick too.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Reception venues in Raleigh not working out :(

• edited December 2011
    I just checked Second Empire's website and they aren't open till 5pm too! This is driving me crazy! Nothing is open earlier in the day. I even checked the Museum of Art and Museum of Life and Science and they are also only available at night. I'm not into having it at a hotel so I am not looking into that. I just want something nice within $1500 :(
  • Jodipi314Jodipi314 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you guys tried any of the country clubs?  Many of them have caterers/chefs at the club, and have reduced rates for Saturday afternoon events.  Places I looked in the RDU/Chapel hill area:  Hope Valley CC, Chapel Hill CC (where I'm having my wedding) Governors Club, Brier Creek Country Club, Prestonwood Country club.  A lot of these places have smaller rooms you can use if you have a smaller party.  I was looking for a 100 person wedding, so they may not all work for smaller sized receptions, but it's worth a look.  We also looked at Parizade, which is a restaurant.  Not sure if they have minimums for opening on a Saturday afternoon, but they probably do...I think all the info is on their website though.  And 1705 Prime...another restaurant, and DELICIOUS food.  I don't remember what the per person rate was.  Also:  Duke gardens has an indoor area (and plenty of outdoor if you want an outside reception) where you can bring a caterer in, their venue rental price is low and then you can just find a caterer that fits your budget

The problem you're going to rn into is $20 to $30 a head is the price most caterer's charge for just the food.  You have to also factor in the venue cost, and no where is going to let you use the space for free.  So you'll have the food cost of $20, but there's always a venue cost on top of that.  The same would be true if you just rented the space and brought a caterer in.  I was really surprised with how expensive everywhere is too; we had a venue/food/drink budget of $10,000 for our 125 guests and found it impossible to stay within that budget while getting a pretty location with good food.  I would say $40 to $50 is the low end per person rate for a venue, food, and drink bill. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LBM7189LBM7189 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried 518 West?  I think you can reserve just the upstairs.  Also, I think you can reserve a private area at Bogart's and I know Porter's on Hillsborough Street has a private room also.  These are all areas downtown.

A little futher out there is Case Carbon (Spl.) near Crabtree.  It is an Italian resturant that is very good and they do private parties.

Good Luck!

• edited December 2011
    What about Irregardless Cafe?  I know I have done lunch there before, but don't remember if it was on a weekend or not.

Also Tir No Nog has a private room you can reserve that holds up to 50 people.  I went to a bridal luncheon there once that was pretty awesome.
  • Jenn_uncJenn_unc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about La Res in Chapel Hill or 411 West? We had our rehearsal dinner at La Res and it was GREAT.  Also had  friend get married and have her reception at La Res and was very pleased.
  • wendyh33wendyh33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should try Maggiano's as well. They are at Southpoint. They have a ballroom that can be broken down into 3 rooms. I am doing a lunch time reception at a very reasonable cost! Food is excellent and the coordinators are great! I was going back and forth between Caffe Luna and Maggiano's.
  • meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DEF. check out 518 West. It's very, very similar to Caffe Luna but off of Glenwood Ave. We are using them for our Rehearsal Dinner. The pond room, which you can rent for up to 50 people, sounds like it wold be perfect for you. And, you can totally customize their menu to make the price well within your budget! 
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard that Maggiano's is a great place! We aren't having a reception there, but heard that from a friend that did (She got married before we knew her).

What about looking at just a venue and bringing in a caterer?

We're getting married at the Rand-Bryan House in Garner. Very cute and pretty new. You can bring in any caterer you want as long as they've got caterering insurance, which I would think most do.

Best of luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • clzapataclzapata member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried North HIlls club?
  • edited December 2011
    i think the problem is that your budget and expectations are out of whack.  37 per head is low when you are looking at fearington and second empire.  for geez, you can't even eat dinner at second emp for that.

i think this will continue to be a struggle for you untill you lower your expectations or increase your budget. 
  • edited December 2011
    Def check Maggianos out. It is in Durham, but if you want you could get married at St. Andrews and it would be close enough. We had our rehearsal dinner there, in the smaller room and the minimum was $1200. The food is too die for (and they wrap all the extras so you can take it home!)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I knew there were more out there I just needed more names without getting overwhelmed with it all. I figured Fearrington was too expensive, but I inquired anyways b/c I wouldn't know for sure until I asked. As far as Second Empire, they have a three course luncheons for $32.95 and two courses for $27.95 which would have worked out perfectly. Love this board!
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, there's plenty of choices out there :)
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haywood Hall would be great for a brunch reception, and they're only $1200- you could bring in a reasonably-priced caterer and probably come in around where you are looking. I don't know for sure that Haywood Hall would be open for brunch receptions, but it doesn't hurt to ask (like you said) especially in this economy. :)

Also, if you're not completely SET on Raleigh, check out the Weathervane in Chapel Hill. They have fantastic brunch, and they can do the courtyard + a room for you all. Their highest minimum is $2k (you can get their upstairs for $1500) and there is no room-rental fee. It has a cute atmosphere, especially if you go with the courtyard. :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married at the Chatueau Bellevie. It is a french inspired bed and breakfast located right next to Highgrove in Fuguay Varina-only a 20 minute ride for downtown. There prices are very reasonable if you are having a smaller event. We are only having 30-very small-but they can accommodate more. They owners are amazing. Very flexible and easy to work with. They have helped me so much in picking good vendors! They have a couple different options for catering and rental options, really will try and work with you to help you get the most for your money. We had our food tasting last month and it was incredible. 

Let me know if you have any questions about them. They have been a dream come true for my fiance and I.
  • edited December 2011
    You should take into consideration how many out-of-town guests you have.  If most of your guests are not from the Triangle, it's a bit difficult to expect them to get from Raleigh to Chapel Hill, etc without getting lost.  Every time I've been to a wedding and the ceremony and reception were 30+ minutes away from each other, it's pretty much guaranteed someone not from the area gets super lost.  If most of your guests are from the Triangle though it's not as big of a deal.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you considered Angus Barn? They have a pavillion behind the main restaurant that might be an option.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think the Bogart's/Rocky Top folks have a space - 1705 Prime.  It's not downtown, but it's not all the way in Durham or Chapel Hill, either.  The space looks nice on their website.   
  • onlyncsuonlyncsu member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely look into 1705 Prime. It's a beautiful home that was turned into a restaurant. Rocky Top Catering owns it so I can assure you the food will be fantastic.

Also, you might want to check into Sisters Catering. Think they're on Millbrook -- again - the food is GREAT and they have a nice small space - indoors and outdoors.
  • Loved0603Loved0603 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did not go through all of the replies so I hope this is not a complete duplicate... but try North Hills Club or Bogarts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards