New Jersey

Looking for gift ideas for a friend who is pregnant... (goaliegirl I'd especially love your insight!

One of my close girl friends and former coworkers recently found out she is pregnant and is about to enter her second trimester.  She's nowhere near the point of putting together a registry or having a baby shower, but I'd like to get her (or her and her husband together) a nice Christmas gift related to the pregnancy and/or baby.

So here are my questions:

1.  Is it too soon to give a baby/pregnancy-related gift?

2.  Any ideas as to what I can give the mom-to-be or the parents-to-be together?
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Looking for gift ideas for a friend who is pregnant... (goaliegirl I'd especially love your insight!

• edited December 2011
    I know some cultures don't believe in getting gifts for the baby before it's born. Make sure she doesn't feel this way.

I would think something small, but cute would be okay. However, I wouldn't maek the whole Christmas gift about the pregnancy. I would probably do a restaurant gift certificate and put something like "for a date night before the baby arrives" you know, b/c they won't have all that many after! Or a massage gift certificate, or pedicure since her feet will hurt.
    *~allie~*

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just in the mall and they had a kiosk with personalized ornaments and there was one with a mommy to be with her little belly and the dad. It was sooo adorable and I immediately thought of what a nice gift it would be to have that and the year.

Very simliar to this one but the faces were better:
    http://www.ornamentplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6774

That with something along the lines of Allie's suggestions would be great I think.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I like Sherri's idea, but having a friend who recently lost her baby on delivery day... having an ornament like that if they lose the baby may not be the best reminder. However, that's the same with any baby item they receive, so maybe I'm being super sensitive. If all goes well in the pregnancy, that is a very cute gift.
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011
    Good ideas ladies!  And Allie, I'm so sorry about your friend... I can't even imagine what she and her husband went through (and, presumably, are still going through).

Do you think something like a restaurant gift card for both of them along with a maternity pillow just for her would be a good idea?  Are maternity pillows even worth it?  Or what about one of those baby doppler things like this: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Sound-Fetal-Doppler-Monitor/dp/B003M7JCC0
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with a pedicure. My one of my BMs was gave birth the last week of September and all through her pregnancy all she wanted was pedicures she said they were the most wonderful relaxing thing. She's going to get a TON of baby things so I'd get something thats a little more about the mom for now.
  • edited December 2011
    I think a mani/ pedi or a spa card would be really nice to have.  Another idea could be a necklace from etsy where you put charms on for the mother and father and then when the baby come you could add one for him/her/ 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also don't think it would be a great idea to get an actual baby-related gift right now - it's still too early in the pregnancy to know how things will turn out. One of my friend's was having a wonderful pregnancy, feeling great with twins, with no problems whatsoever in her 5th month. In August we went out to dinner with them on a Saturday and by Tuesday she was on bedrest until she gave birth to the babies, prematurely. The babies are both still in the hospital (since October) and my Mom still won't buy any gifts for the babies until they come home.
    I'd say stick with a gift card for them to go to dinner, and/or a pampering type gift to make her feel more comfortable/relaxed.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    as someone who is pregnant and everyone is asking me what I want for Christmas...I keep telling them I would rather get baby stuff.  LOL...there is nothing I really want or need for myself quite frankly, and there is so much baby stuff that we definitely need.   So, for me, I would love a baby gift, my family made me do my registry already so they had options.  Although most of them said they are getting a baby gift and something for me separate.

That being said...some other non-baby things that she might like...a maternity pillow.  I recently got the Snoogle and it has been awesome!!!  I cannot sleep at night without this pillow, and I am only 19 weeks along.  I got it at Babies R us, and it is a body length pillow that wraps around your neck and between your legs.  It is awesome, and I highly recommend it!

I also recently got a pre-natal massage and it was amazing!   So, maybe a gift certificate to a spa so she can get something.   That would be great too, I would just make sure the spa does prenatal massages.   I know the spa in Motherhood Maternity on Rte 4 in Paramus has awesome prenatal massages, in fact, i am going for one in a few weeks there that my husband got for me!

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_gift-ideas-friend-pregnant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:3094a43b-609b-4856-9581-9b13c6d2681bPost:83f38791-b312-4f7c-876d-d79aee4e6f02">Re: Looking for gift ideas for a friend who is pregnant... (goaliegirl I'd especially love your insight!)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Or what about one of those baby doppler things like this: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Sound-Fetal-Doppler-Monitor/dp/B003M7JCC0" rel='nofollow'>http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Sound-Fetal-Doppler-Monitor/dp/B003M7JCC0</a>
    Posted by peaches85[/QUOTE]

i say forget the Doppler...everyone I have talked to has had little to no luck with them unless you buy a pretty expensive one.  My sister gave us a cheap one and it doesn't work at all.  and quite honestly, if it didn't work and I couldn't hear the heart beat, I may get a little panicked.  IMO, I would say don't get one of these.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, Laurie!  I think you mentioned in another thread that your due date is in April... my friend is due right after you, so it's helpful to get your advice.
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    No Problem!    hope the suggestions help..if I think of anything else, I will pass it along!
  • edited December 2011
    Great!  Thanks again!  :-)
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissa721melissa721 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats goaliegirl!!!

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks 

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

TFAS since February 2013--BFP on cycle 1!

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

SA #1 - Slightly abnormal shape, #2 - very low count

Follistim + IUI 3x = BFN, BFN, very late BFP with super low progesterone --> c/p

Moving on to long protocol IVF with ICSI and PGS in August 2014...how in the holy hell did I get here? FU 2IF.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards