California-Los Angeles

**jagore08**

How did the Vons Thanksgiving dinner work out? I'm thinking about ordering it for our upcoming Christmas party.
Photobucket

Re: **jagore08**

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did Ralphs.  It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but it wasn't bad.  For $50 you got a 12lb, fully cooked turkey, 22oz each (I think it was 22.  They said it was enough to feed 8-10 people) candied yams, mashed potatoes, stuffing and a thing of gravy (which was plenty).

They gave us 2 stuffings and no mashed potatoes.  It turned out fine because my sister and DH are snobs about mashed potatoes and I was planning on making my own just in case.  

The turkey wasn't what I thought it was going to be.  It came in a bag like you would get a frozen turkey (that was the part I wasn't expecting).  It had to be heated for two hours before serving (which is a heck of a lot better than cooking one for 8 hours!).  We made our own glazing juice to keep the turkey moist while it heated.  The turkey was super moist and 12 pounds is much bigger than I thought.

The stuffing was okay but I've definitely made better.  The yams were yummy and the gravy was good.

I think that for $50 you can't go wrong with the meal.  There were other options if you want a ham or prime rib too.  They said they only needed a 48 hour notice so you have plenty of time to decide.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • akavanaghakavanagh member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good to know. I was thinking of doing a ham one...I was originally going to get a honey baked ham, but they want 100 dollars for it and with our wedding 6 mos away...100 dollars for a ham is not in the budget. 
    Photobucket
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Honeybaked Ham store is ridiculous!  I bought a 1/2, bone-in, spiral sliced ham for less than $20 and found a great glazing recipe on the food networks website and it tasted just as good.  It was super easy and I didn't have to wait an hour in line to pick it up!  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited December 2011
    Good to know! Maybe I'll do that instead! 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    THey sell excellent hams at Costco too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_jagore08-13?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:16b99ec4-c6c6-4ed6-8043-b4dc3681f8f5Post:3f77fe21-1590-49ab-830c-a4828cc0fec6">Re: **jagore08**</a>:
    [QUOTE]T<strong>Hey sell excellent hams at Costco too!</strong>
    Posted by CurlyGirlyGirl[/QUOTE]

<div>Good to know! I think I'll get it from there! It's my first time cooking...well heating a ham. Let's hope it goes okay!</div>
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards