Wedding Reception Forum

Christmas Lights for Tent???

Hello all!
I'm trying to guesstimate the minimum ammount of christmas light's i will need for 1 30x40 tent and a 10x15 tent.... Has anyone else used christmas lights as their main lightning in their reception tent??? (there will also be candles on every other table and possibly a couple stand up lights.
I'm mainly trying to figure out how many christmas lights i will need while Christmas sales are going on! Thanks!

Re: Christmas Lights for Tent???

• Can the rental company advise you?  Also, you might want to consider buying your lights AFTER Christmas, when everything is marked down 50%.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_christmas-lights-for-tent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:16bf50b2-6fe0-4a11-b029-4c448c5b152dPost:b7dfe344-ba8f-43c0-a66f-baa8d2ddb074">Re: Christmas Lights for Tent???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can the rental company advise you?  <strong>Also, you might want to consider buying your lights AFTER Christmas, when everything is marked down 50%.</strong>
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

<div>That's exactly what I was thinking!</div>
  • i was planning on buying them the day after christmas but i still need an idea on how many to buy as well! :) So please answers only for the ammount i might need! Thanks everyone so much!
  • Are you wanting to use them to string across the tent only?  Do you want them to be droopy or tight across?  Do you want to also use them around the perimeter?  And are you planning on buying 150 ct lights?  

I personally am not using these lights for my tent, but it's all about measurements so it isn't too hard to figure out if you have an idea of what you want them to look like...
  • Wait... this will be your MAIN lighting for an outdoor, evening reception? I can only imagine you will need far more lights than would be affordable to purchase in order to create enough lighting so as to light the space enough so people can see. Could you rent them from a local company? Or maybe incorporate other light sources?
    Praying for a miracle!
  • I had a 40x60 tent and only used Christmas lights for the lighting. There was more than enough light and it looked really nice.

I think that we purchased 30 strands of 150 count lights. We put 3 together into 8 lengths and had them sort of draped across the tent to the middle. Then in the middle we had a bunch that made a chandelier of sorts.

I also had a couple suggestions for you, first, make sure that you check how many strands you can put together and you have someone who knows electrical stuff look over your plan. Also, I made a point to make sure that the lights where on white wire, with a white tent green stands would not have looked good!

HTH!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_christmas-lights-for-tent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:16bf50b2-6fe0-4a11-b029-4c448c5b152dPost:5321c967-d1b7-4a8a-bcdd-77b62923c80e">Re: Christmas Lights for Tent???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a 40x60 tent and only used Christmas lights for the lighting. There was more than enough light and it looked really nice. I think that we purchased 30 strands of 150 count lights. We put 3 together into 8 lengths and had them sort of draped across the tent to the middle. Then in the middle we had a bunch that made a chandelier of sorts.   I also had a couple suggestions for you, first, make sure that you check how many strands you can put together and you have someone who knows electrical stuff look over your plan. Also, I made a point to make sure that the lights where on white wire, with a white tent green stands would not have looked good! HTH!  
    Posted by roses4ever215[/QUOTE]
     thanks so much! you have been very helpful! We found a deal and got 60 boxes of 130 count for $100 (I bought more then i guesstimated for safety! plus will be good looking on our home the following year!) and while there may be a few more lighting options we maylook into i don't think we will need them :) Thanks again!<div>
    </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards