June 2013 Weddings

TRASH THE DRESS?

Its unfathomable to me....someone please enlighten me
****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown

Re: TRASH THE DRESS?

• I've got nothing. I don't get it either. I mean, I get that it's a reason to wear it again, but I just can't fathom willingly ruining something like a wedding dress. Also, my raised-during-the-Great-Depression grandmother would die if she found out I did something like that. 

My best friend and I are both getting married next year, and we've decided it would be fun to go to high tea at a tea house in our dresses once our weddings are over. We plan to invite along another friend who dabbles in photography. We both have very vintage looking wedding dresses, so we figured a tea house would be a good setting for some fun post-wedding pictures.
  • I also don't get it. It looks awesome, but I could never justify ruining my dress. There was a thing floating around on Pintrest where on your anniversary your supposed to wear your wedding dress and him his suit or tux (assuming it wasn't rented) and have you anniversary celebration/date in your wedding attire. That'd be a much more fun reason to wear it again and it would be good motivation to not gain any weight, haha. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Miss EsaMiss Esa member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    I'm doing it the weekend I return from my HM. Dan and I are going to the junkyard near our house with the photographer for an afternoon of pulling car parts and getting messy in our wedding clothes.

Its not the destination so much as the journey, they say. - Captain Jack Sparrow Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my friends has a family tradition where the wedding dress is used to make a christening gown for their kids. I think that's a nice tradition, although I'm not sure how doable it is with some of the gowns that have a lot of flowers or ruffles on them.

• I can understand not wanting to "trash the dress" if you paid a large sum of money for the dress. For me, i'd be game for a trash the dress shoot...but I only paid $300 for my dress. What are you going to do with your dress? have it cleaned and store it in a closet? If I don't end up doing a fun photo shoot or something with it I may use the fabric to make a memory pillow for our bed or something like that.

I also like the jewelry idea! I'd never heard of that before.
  • I sort of get it. If a person isn't very sentimental (I'm not) and sees no reason to keep it, why not have a fun photo session with it?

I don't think I could ever personally do it, though.  I prefer to donate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I can't understand it either... I could never trash my dress. It's the most beautiful dress I have ever owned. I will be doing something I've dreamed of doing my whole life in it; getting married. My Mother paid a lot of money for it. And yes, I do plan to preserve and keep it so that I can look at it again and again in the future. 

My Grandma kept her gown and also my Mom's and both my Aunt's wedding gowns, and over the years we always pulled them out and looked at them. The last memory I have of my Grandma, before she passed last Christmas, was looking at my Mother's gown and trying her veil on in my Grandma's bedroom and the three of us knowing that I'd be getting married soon. 

Now my Mom has her gown and my Grandma's and soon she will have mine... I hope someday I'll have a daughter to show them to. She doesn't have to wear my dress, that's not the idea. But we are a sentimental family and I will always cherish my wedding gown.

Anniversary
  • I don't understand it either! I love my dress so much and couldn't imagine wanting to ruin it, even though I most likely won't wear it again. The whole idea is crazy to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one who think it's nuts to destroy your dress! My best friend wants to do it and I just don't get it...I love my dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards