Wedding Etiquette Forum

Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent

Hi Everyone, this weekend my FI and I decided to postpone (for now) our wedding. Save the dates have been sent. Any ideas on what to send out or how to get word around? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. It was my decision and he's having a hard time with it so I don't want people to question much.
Thanks!

Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent

• When this happened to a friend of mine, they just sent out little notes saying the date would be changed and invitations would follow. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks! By any chance do you know what they said? I'm not sure at all when we'll be changing the date to or if we will even be having a wedding as big as we initially planned so I don't know that the same people would be invited.
  • It's been a few years, but I think it said something like what Sparkly said above and then that they would let us know of the new date. The problem with saying there will be a new date is that then if there isn't, there are questions. But then if you just say "will not take place as planned," people might start pestering you asking if you broke up or something. So it would be your call how much info you wanted to provide based on your circumstances. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Ditto PPs. Just send out cards letting people know. No explanation needed.
  • I had to do this last summer. I typed a letter using Microsoft Word, explaining that we would be postponing the wedding because FI and I were still in school and couldn't afford a wedding. I told them to keep an eye out for a new invitation once we set a new date, and to check our wedding website for new information. 

I sent it to everyone I had sent a save the date. You could do a postcard because it's less postage.
  • Oh and FI and I aren't going to be able to invite everyone we previously sent a STD card. I completely understand not being able to invite everyone. 
  • BMoreBride6BMoreBride6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    regardless, I think you need to do your absolute best to invite everyone who received a Save the Date.  
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    FI and I cancelled our originally planned wedding after save the dates had been sent. We personally contacted everyone who had received a save the date, mostly via email. It's enabled me to copy and paste most emails but still include a personal note and explain that we were still planning to get married but that we realized it was just too stressful for us to be planning a wedding. We'll get married but it will probably be at the courthouse.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postponing-wedding-after-save-the-dates-have-been-sent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d4cfca1b-4a34-47b7-abe5-a293086e8bb0Post:3aeb8d6c-2431-4f88-a082-16acfd80f416">Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent : The only way you can properly do this is to completely cancel your plans, not just postpone the wedding.  Otherwise, you still owe everyone an invitation who originally got your STD!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

You don't actually OWE anyone anything, just as they don't OWE you anything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postponing-wedding-after-save-the-dates-have-been-sent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d4cfca1b-4a34-47b7-abe5-a293086e8bb0Post:6e058387-d4ce-4ab1-b316-f0e6673ea1ce">Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent : You don't actually OWE anyone anything, just as they don't OWE you anything.
    Posted by beachwed10[/QUOTE]

Stick around. You'll learn somethin'.
  • Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_postponing-wedding-after-save-the-dates-have-been-sent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d4cfca1b-4a34-47b7-abe5-a293086e8bb0Post:6e058387-d4ce-4ab1-b316-f0e6673ea1ce">Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Postponing wedding after save the dates have been sent : You don't actually OWE anyone anything, just as they don't OWE you anything.
    Posted by beachwed10[/QUOTE]

What?! These people who recieved save the dates are expecting a wedding invitation, even if the date has been changed. Its so rude to send someone a STD and not send them an invite.
    OP, I understand that your plans may be changing but you really should try to invite everyone you already sent a STD to.
    Hope it works out for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  I'm thinking I'll get started on a postcard to let everyone know it won't be happening as planned. I've contacted all vendors today and most of my close family and friends know. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards