Wedding Woes

Is this wrong??

I have an old friend that I have distanced myself from in the past few years, since she started dating this loser.  He is abusive and uses drugs, and is totaly not like her or anyone I associate with.  I want to invite my friend to the wedding, but I absolutely can not have him be her date.  Is it wrong to ask her to bring someone else or come alone?  Or do I just not invite her and explain it's because of her boyfriend?  Help! I'm so confused, I don't want to lose her as a friend, but I don't want someone like him at the wedding!

Re: Is this wrong??

• edited December 2011
    To answer your specific question, you can't invite half of a couple no matter how much you dislike the bf or why.

Have you ever talked to her about why she's dating an abuser, or did you just distance yourself from the situation and now it's an issue because you're getting married?

MIL is thrilled you're joining the family. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_this-wrong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:30714db0-7345-41ba-aa15-54f2b3610ccfPost:aa4978b5-3bc7-41d3-b3f9-67c9743d7e8f">Is this wrong??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I have an old friend that I have distanced myself from in the past few years, since she started dating this loser.</strong>  He is abusive and uses drugs, and is totaly not like her or anyone I associate with.  I want to invite my friend to the wedding, but I absolutely can not have him be her date.  Is it wrong to ask her to bring someone else or come alone?  Or do I just not invite her and explain it's because of her boyfriend?  <strong>Help! I'm so confused, I don't want to lose her as a friend, but I don't want someone like him at the wedding!
    </strong>Posted by tmdunn823[/QUOTE]

it sounds like you and this girl are not really "friends" now. If you haven't been in contact with this person for the last several years, I would stand to assume that you would not miss her at your wedding if she was not there.

You can invite her without a guest if it's THAT important to have her there, but you can't dictate who she brings if you give her a +1. I

'd recommend not inviting her at all - it sounds like you've already cut ties wih her anyways.
  • AshleyC48AshleyC48 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the EXACT same thing happen to me with my invitations.  I have a friend (a girl Ive known since high school, don't really know anymore but felt obligated to invite)  in the same situation as your friend.
    You can't just invite one.  Can you imagine how offended you would be?  I vouched to just not invite her.  All the two of them do is scream fight in front of people and I know he would have shown up on something.  It was just easier to not invite her.
    I as you have distanced myself from this friend these past few years and decided that this would be a time to finally cut those strings.  You don't need that at your wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    When in doubt always consult Emily Post.  On this topic she says, "Partners of invited guests must be included in a wedding invitation. This includes couples who are married, engaged, or living together." 

If they do not live together, you can just invite her.  Chances are, she probably does not like taking him out in public and might decline the invitation.

http://www.emilypost.com/planning-your-wedding/158-wedding-guest-list-faqs
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards