Moms and Maids

Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)

Some regs might be shocked that I'm posting a topic but after watching this show for the first time in it entirety, I just have to clear my head.

I am currently watching this show and know wonder we have Brides complaining, stubborn, and not understanding about their bridesmaids and their dress. This show is focused on screwing over your friend just so the Bride can have her "vision" and the consultants make BIG $$$ and putting that mindset in not only the Bride's mind but the BMs. 

This episode had 2 brides first being open to letting their BMs pick their dresses. THEN the consultants not liking that try to show the Bride how "wrong" or "ugly" it is going to be. Granted looking at all the dresses the Bride SHOULD put some restrictions to a color, fabric, length, or designer, but the fact that these consultants deliberately got these brides to change their minds and make their friends buy a dress they don't like. 

The one Bride had a friend that can't afford $220 for a dress and calls her out in PUBLIC, EMBARRASSING her in front of people. It is nice the Bride's mom is probably going to help pay for this dress but this BM has even stated how "bad" she feels for not beinging able to pay for this dress.

The second "hollyglam" bride. I knew this bride would have her mind easily change. But I am SHOCKED that she is going to kick two of her BMs out because they don't like the dress and how the BMs are "bad" friends and how the Bride needs to "reevaluate" the friendship.  

These consultants are what made me furious, specially the older woman and the guy in how BMs need to "suck it up" and the Bride is the Queen of all decision making with the BMs dresses. So no wonder we Bride after Bride come on here complaining about an issue with a BMs dress. This TV show is basically teaching Brides out there that they can treat their friends like crap, and if they don't like the dress the Bride picks for them they can suck it or be kicked out. 

Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)

• edited December 2011
    Yeah, I saw that one where the girl was in tears who couldn't afford the dress a couple weeks ago.  I was so sad for her.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just watched that episode, too.  It's disgusting.  I also watched an episode where the bride sent out an email asking the girls to be BMs, and in the email, told them to expect to spend $500 for the dress.
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It really goes to show how the wedding industry is. You see how the bridal shop people talk, too, right? They're always on the bride's side and make comments about how "it's the bride's day so this bridesmaid needs to suck it up and wear the dress the bride wants her to."

The thing is, this show is airing for entertainment value and I always wonder how real certain reality shows really are. But that doesn't mean there aren't people out there watching SYTTD and thinking, "someday that will be me bossing my bridal party around..."
  • ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Remember on these shows they show the worst and best reactions. Most of those girls are trying on 10+ dresses. The only semi realistic show is the Four Weddings out of all the bridal shows. I felt so bad for the girl in tears and that girl with the $500 budget demand and then tried to state she went over budget so they can too..I wanted to slap her.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_say-yes-dress-bridesmaids-discussionrant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0fc5d724-f549-405e-819e-56a846fbe744Post:5e85b9ac-f155-4596-876c-30ce883987b5">Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I saw that one where the girl was in tears who couldn't afford the dress a couple weeks ago.  I was so sad for her.
    Posted by CassieeK[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I saw this one too. I like that the bridesmaid kinda stood up for herself, in a non-aggressive kinda way. (unlike the snob who was on tonight. She was just downright cruel).  I think budgets should be discussed ahead of time, and I don't think the bride took that into consideration last week or whenever it was. </div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I saw one episode. The bms were telling the bride that they couldn't afford the dresses she liked. The middle aged woman consultant speaking to the camera "They knew what they were signing up for. It's the brides day, they should just suck it up."
    Yes, and the more they spend, the bigger her commission. I think I hate this show.

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_say-yes-dress-bridesmaids-discussionrant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0fc5d724-f549-405e-819e-56a846fbe744Post:dbe2d6f0-6f1b-4bba-b274-3c5770241572">Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw one episode. The bms were telling the bride that they couldn't afford the dresses she liked. The middle aged woman consultant speaking to the camera "They knew what they were signing up for. It's the brides day, they should just suck it up." Yes, and the more they spend, the bigger her commission. I think I hate this show.
    Posted by MairePoppy[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.
  • edited December 2011
    There were some really awful bridesmaids, too, though. Like the one who was basically dangling her participation in the wedding over the bride's head just so she (the bridesmaid) could run the show. Her opinion was being placed over the other bridesmaids' and the bride's because she was blackmailing the bride. It was just pathetic.

Basically, everybody on that show sucks. haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_say-yes-dress-bridesmaids-discussionrant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0fc5d724-f549-405e-819e-56a846fbe744Post:135f06ed-db01-4ad5-a977-e14e629f6680">Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]There were some really awful bridesmaids, too, though. Like the one who was basically dangling her participation in the wedding over the bride's head just so she (the bridesmaid) could run the show. Her opinion was being placed over the other bridesmaids' and the bride's because she was blackmailing the bride. It was just pathetic. Basically, everybody on that show sucks. haha
    Posted by Jennifer&Nate[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the bridesmaids are definitely not any better. There was one episode where there was some sort of rivalry between the honorary bridesmaids and the bridesmaids.
    And, yeah, <em>honorary</em> bridesmaids. wth?

Also, is it just me, but are there quite a few bridesmaids who purposely argue the dresses just for arguments sake? Like, it's one thing to really not like a dress, but it seems like some of the girls just say they don't like a dress to be difficult.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah I think they definitely argue just to be a pain. They really act like they're going to be required to wear that dress for the rest of their lives. Did you see the one girl who kept throwing fits because she always wears short dresses and the bride wanted a long dress (which all the other BMs were fine with)? The bride pulled beautiful dress after beautiful dress only to get fussed at because this particular BM "doesn't wear" long dresses. ARGH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I also think that they are all performing for the camera.....
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_say-yes-dress-bridesmaids-discussionrant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:0fc5d724-f549-405e-819e-56a846fbe744Post:0378a028-d3d6-4121-8c6e-05c9a40ceab0">Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I think they definitely argue just to be a pain. They really act like they're going to be required to wear that dress for the rest of their lives. Did you see the one girl who kept throwing fits because she always wears short dresses and the bride wanted a long dress (which all the other BMs were fine with)? The bride pulled beautiful dress after beautiful dress only to get fussed at because this particular BM "doesn't wear" long dresses. ARGH!
    Posted by Jennifer&Nate[/QUOTE]

I saw this episode earlier today! I wanted to pull her hair out of her head! Its one thing to voice conserns about price and other major concerns, but if the bride wants a long dress, pick a long dress!

I personally think that this show is 100% scripted. I watched one this morning when the brides brought the grooms with them to pick dresses. Really?! I dont know one guy who wants to look for bridesmaid dresses all day. I think it was scripted. They wanted it for the show, took auditions, and picked a few to put on the show.  But thats my opinion... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been able to make it through a full episode of that show, it just pisses me off. 
    Anniversary
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After watching this one episode I don't know if I want to watch any more. I know there are situations out there where there are BMs that are difficult. But this episode made me really dislike consultants. I don't know how scripted this show is but the mindset of the consultants were real, and the tears of the BM was real. 
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I enjoyed the regular SYTTD shows but the BM one is over the top.  I can't handle it. 
  • snorwo3snorwo3 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_say-yes-dress-bridesmaids-discussionrant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:0fc5d724-f549-405e-819e-56a846fbe744Post:135f06ed-db01-4ad5-a977-e14e629f6680">Re: Say Yes to the Dress: Bridesmaids (Discussion/RANT)</a>:
    [QUOTE]There were some really awful bridesmaids, too, though. Like the one who was basically dangling her participation in the wedding over the bride's head just so she (the bridesmaid) could run the show. Her opinion was being placed over the other bridesmaids' and the bride's because she was blackmailing the bride. It was just pathetic. Basically, everybody on that show sucks. haha
    Posted by Jennifer&Nate[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think I know who you're talking about.</div><div>I've only watched one episode of this show, but on that episode, the bridesmaid was convinced she was only wearing what she picked out. There was a dress picked out that the bride and all of the bridesmaids liked except this one girl. She was being a complete bitch about it and threatened not being in the wedding if she had to wear that dress. Poor bride was in tears that her friend might not be in her wedding unless she got to pick the dress they all wore.

</div>
  • snorwo3snorwo3 member
    edited December 2011
    I prefer the bridesmaid edition of this show over the regular one because it cracks me up, while the regular one bores me. I love laughing at the crazies on the bridesmaid edition, but the regular SYTTD is just pathetic. If I have to see one more bride bring in 15 people to pick a dress, I might break my TV.

Who even does that?! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards