Wisconsin

Just got married - name change question for WI residents

Can anyone tell me if Wisconsin will allow me to move my maiden name to a second middle name using my marriage certificate?

I have read that some states only allow a change to the last name.

Also -  Our marriage cert lists me with my maiden name - is this sufficient for changing my name with the SS office and the DMV?
Experienced infertility during first marriage, diagnosed with PCOS in 2008.
Married my amazing husband May 22, 2010
Became Step-Mom to 2 boys.
Husband had vasectomy in 2004 during first marriage.

Adoption Is Our Path!
Application sent March 29, 2011 First Meeting with CW: April 25, 2011 Final Visit and home visit: August 16, 2011
September, 2011 - told we are ready to be considered by birth parents. Officially WAITING!

Spring of 2012, we start to work with a Consultant and apply with a few agencies around the US

June 2012 - we are MATCHED
July 25, 2012 - Our SON was born in Arizona
August 8th, 2012 - we flew home with our baby
Awaiting Finalization

My Blog

Re: Just got married - name change question for WI residents

• edited December 2011
    I am uncertain of the second middle name, so maybe another can help with that.  (Good question!)

As far as the marraige certificate listing you in your maiden name... yes this is how it should be listed and when you go to the SSA office, bring an original copy of the marriage certificate, your old SS card, and your current license.  They will make the changes and you will get your new card in a little over a week. 

The SSA office should also give you a letter stating that you have changed your name with them and you can bring this letter, an original copy of your marraige certificate, and your current license to the DMV the same day.  You can then get a new license in your new name.

Some DMV'a can be picky about this and ask that you wait until you get your new SS card.  I didn't have an issue, but a friend of mine did (2 different DMV locations).

As a reminder, wait to change your name with everything else until you do have your new license and SS card in hand!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • preciosa4preciosa4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For professional purposes, I intend to use my maiden and last.  What I'll do (if I can) is make my new last name BOTH names.  (My middle is still my middle.)  So I'll be First Middle Maiden Last, with Maiden Last as my new last name, if that makes sense...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards