Wedding Reception Forum

funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.

So i Know a lot of ya'll hate the garter removal... and I know you hate it even more when the groom pulls out panties and cuffs. I've heard you refer to it as tasteless and trashy. BUT what about this idea...

My fiance is famous for doing his Michael Jackson dance routine at bars and other weddings and whereever else there is music. He bought a fedora and sparkly glove to put under the chair to pull out before he removes the garter. He would then do his little Billie Jean routine for about 1 minute and then return to remove the garter.

What do ya'll think?

Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.

• garter removals-in any form-to me are a no go.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_funny-garter-toss-not-the-typical-lacy-underwear-and-handcuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2d67d6d6-5460-4464-b146-e0884bcb7550Post:7584747c-82ca-4aef-9ad1-18835b4225d5">Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]garter removals-in any form-to me are a no go.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  If my FI wants to undress me, he can do it in our room after the reception. 
  • This is really a situation of knowing your audience and you might get better feedback if you asked maybe your bridal party etc.

I personally am not planning a garter toss.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think if you want the garter toss and that is the way to make it fun for you, then do it! I personally love Michael Jackson and would find it really fun to see the groom do the Billie Jean dance :)  We are doing a garter toss because it is tradition and both our families love all the traditional hooplah.  But I am just going to put the garter right above my knee so he doesn't have to go under my dress, etc.  That's just uncomfortable, not only for some guests, but for us!  (Sorry I don't want my dad watching as my new hubby goes under my dress to grab my garter with his teeth.  AWKWARD!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_funny-garter-toss-not-the-typical-lacy-underwear-and-handcuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2d67d6d6-5460-4464-b146-e0884bcb7550Post:2c931cff-d166-4c3d-8089-79eb93652ccb">Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think if you want the garter toss and that is the way to make it fun for you, then do it! I personally love Michael Jackson and would find it really fun to see the groom do the Billie Jean dance :)  We are doing a garter toss because it is tradition and both our families love all the traditional hooplah.  But I am just going to put the garter right above my knee so he doesn't have to go under my dress, etc.  That's just uncomfortable, not only for some guests, but for us!  (Sorry I don't want my dad watching as my <strong>new hubby goes under my dress to grab my garter with his teeth.  AWKWARD!)</strong>
    Posted by evanquil[/QUOTE]

Definitely definitely definitely not with his teeth! haha I was embarrassed getting lingerie at my shower!

I could have done without this tradtion and the bouquet toss also but my family and fh's family is already upset we are skipping some traditions (ie. father daughter dance, bridal march, dollar dance) so we're just going to try to make it fun!

but the actual garter removal will definitely be quick and definitely be with his hands regardless of whether we do the MJ thing.
  • Panties and cuffs?  People have actually done that??  That's so grossly inappropriate...

As for the whole Michael Jackson thing...I would probably think it's a little odd that the groom used the garter removal as an excuse to do a dance routine, but that's just me.  If you really want to do the garter removal, and you want to incorporate the Michael Jackson bit, I'd just have the song in the background, but no full on dance routine.
    Anniversary
  • pgcppgcp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I personally think that anything other than a quick and graceful removal is terrible.  I just don't understand why this is a tradition people want to keep.
  • df wants to do it... and right now its just not worth another disagreement. i mean 30 seconds or so of removing my garter and flingying it to "one of the guys" is not going to kill me.... but i made him PROMISE to be tasteful about it. and he agreed.Surprised
  • Anything that draws out what will be an uncomfortable thing to watch for many of your guests is a bad idea, imo.
  • Personally, I think that doing the Billie Jean dance would distract from the awkwardness of the garter removal. I think its a great idea.
  • If you think its “you”, then I think it’s a great idea!  Your friends and family know “you” better than any of us, so they would expect something like this.   

We are doing something silly too, because my FI loves to make people laugh.  Our friends and family know that, and they won’t be surprised by it.

I love your idea.  Everyone has a different idea of "tacky".

• I think your fiance putting on the routine of a dead child molester is just as trashy as him undressing you in front of your family and friends.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_funny-garter-toss-not-the-typical-lacy-underwear-and-handcuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:2d67d6d6-5460-4464-b146-e0884bcb7550Post:d2e4c8f0-b88a-4eca-99d0-2d1b0f105ec7">Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you think its “you”, then I think it’s a great idea!   Your friends and family know “you” better than any of us, so they would expect something like this.      We are doing something silly too, because my FI loves to make people laugh.   Our friends and family know that, and they won’t be surprised by it.   I love your idea.  Everyone has a different idea of "tacky".    
    Posted by LuckyHeather[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Fiance and I are planning a silly garter toss as well and the negative comments on here aren't stopping us because we strongly feel our guests will enjoy it. Sometimes asking brides on here doesn't always get helpful advice because there are some things only you, or someone close to you, will really be able to answer. Try asking the opinion of a friend, family member, or someone in the wedding party (personally, I think it'd a great idea as long as it doesn't take up too much time.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_funny-garter-toss-not-the-typical-lacy-underwear-and-handcuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2d67d6d6-5460-4464-b146-e0884bcb7550Post:3541d1e7-2b8e-428b-b94f-0ff44f2dc1a1">Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your fiance putting on the routine of a dead child molester is just as trashy as him undressing you in front of your family and friends.
    Posted by user1223[/QUOTE]

Wow. You must be buckets of fun...

I think it sounds cute. I don't find the garter toss offensive at all and it sounds like a fun way to incorporate something that is obviously "him".
  •  I personally am doing the garter toss and told my FI as long as he keeps everything appropriate he can do whatever he wants. This is your wedding what other brides think is helpful but remember IT"S YOUR WEDDING!!!! Run with it. My FI and I are huge MJ fans and would get a huge kick out of it. Lol remember the reception can be, if you choose, the time to celebrate so let loose and have some fun!!!
    ONE LUCKY GIRL!!
  • Rude<div>n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_funny-garter-toss-not-the-typical-lacy-underwear-and-handcuffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:2d67d6d6-5460-4464-b146-e0884bcb7550Post:3541d1e7-2b8e-428b-b94f-0ff44f2dc1a1">Re: funny garter toss... not the typical lacy underwear and handcuffs.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think your fiance putting on the routine of a dead child molester is just as trashy as him undressing you in front of your family and friends.
    Posted by user1223[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • We are doing a gater toss as well, becasue it will make my fiance happy. After all, the wedding is for both of you. Imagen how awkward he feels with all the stuff you are asking him to do for you and family tradition. Have a little fun and remember that you will never make everyone happy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards