Attire & Accessories Forum

Opening a Preserved Dress

Hi. I plan on wearing my mother's wedding dress for my own wedding. It has been preserved and is currently in a box in my attic. 

Is it safe for me to just open the box to try on my dress? Would it be better to take it to a dry-cleaners to open and get out any wrinkles? 

I can find tons of information about preserving dresses online, but nothing about reusing a preserved dress. 

Thanks!

Re: Opening a Preserved Dress

• I don't think it should be a big deal to open it.  It will be wrinkled but if you're just trying it on to make sure it fits then that shouldn't matter.  If you decide not to wear it, for whatever reason, just take it to get re-preserved.  
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm wearing my Mom's dress as well. Her's was hanging in a bag. I just took it out and tried it on. The lady that is doing my alterations is altering it before I take it to the cleaners. That is the order she suggested to do things and she's been doing this for a long time so I'm taking her advice.

I'd love to see pics!!
    172 Invited. image
    130 Accepted. image
    42 Declined. image
    0 Can't find the mailbox. imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • preserving is just a thorough cleaning and an acid free container... have at it...you won't hurt it.    be clean and perfume/deodorant free when you try it on and return it to its box or bag without more body oils or chemicals added... 

And if alterations are in order have them done before recleaning or pressing..Older fabric is delicate so less is always best in the handling department... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards